Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Epiphany moment? We all know engine oil is thicker than diesel. and FIO obviously thins the engine oil.
    It occurred to me that could it not be possible to have 2 samples. Sample 1 neat unadulterated D5 spec oil and sample 2 same oil but with maximum permissible diesel contamination, If we maintain identical volumes and temperature of both samples accurately time how long it takes each sample to pass through a car painters viscosity cup, We should be able to determine, if indeed the engine oil is diluted when the 'service' light illuminates, by using the same equipment. Too easy????
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I just pay a lab to tell it form me - $38 gives me everything I want to know about the engine wear metals, FIO, and oil TBN. The wear metals bit will be particularly interesting over time, as the early service notice issue is directly related to preserving engine life.

I sent a virgin oil sample to my lab and their results indicated that the factory-fresh viscosity of the Castrol Edge Professional oil the dealer put into my vehicle was well under the 5W30 spec claimed on the bottle.

However, the last time I sent a used sample in, there was zero measurable FIO in the sample, yet the vehicle said it was time for an oil change. The sample before that, there was 3% FIO, with zero miles left on the service counter.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I think its just a incorrect software algorithm and there is no actual oil dilution issue. The new software is supposed to fix the algorithm and make the calculations more accurate. The SDV6 seems to be ok as the sw algorithms are bound to be different with twin turbo setup etc.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I am inclined to agree with you. So far, I have traveled about 2800 miles since my last oil change, and as of today my vehicle says I have about 4500 miles remaining before the next service is due. I'll be testing my oil again when I reach zero. Haven't had the N222 update but expect it will be applied the next time it's in for service, which may be as soon as next week to get ICTP Phase 4 installed.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum