Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Where to put the phone

Hi Guys,
    Here I am again with another question, I sincerely hope I'm not boring you.

I've spent some time wondering where the best place is to put my mobile phone.
    I prefer to keep it high so it gets a decent signal, and as the D5 doesn't yet support Android Auto I want to be able to see it while I'm driving.
    My phone charges wirelessly, and when its in my current car I have it in a Samsung wireless charging holder.

Its my intention to make a bracket on my 3D printer so I can fit the wireless charger in the position shown on the attached photo.

As always your comments and ideas would be greatly appceciated.

cheers
    AJ Mr. Green

https://disco5.co.uk/gallery/10780/thumb_Disco%20Phone.jpg
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

mines more or less there using a Brodit mount. Block a vert though which is a pain.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Same here with the D4, slightly blocking the vent but more than made up for having GoogMaps (the discerning nav system) more in line of sight. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi,

How did you fix the mount, did you drill the dash, or did you use the vent to fix the mount?

cheers
    AJ
  • DSL
    United Kingdom 

Me? Brodit mount that must clips in the existing gaps. No drilling and took minutes to fix. Might be worth a search on Brodit website (ISTR DSL products but nothing to do with me Big Cry Big Cry ) to see what they have. Thumbs Up

PS But I assume not me. Advice still stands. Thumbs Up
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Mine just stands in the square in front of the two cup holders. Until Brodit have a clip that doesn't hang off the vents for the D5.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I've used brodit for years in previous vehicles but don't like the only option for the D5 which is over the vents above the screen.

In the D4 I use the mount to the side of the centre console which works brilliantly and is right next to the plug so keeps the charging cable tidy. Unfortunately, there isn't an equivalent option for the D5 which wouldn't obstruct something so I'm going to have to sacrifice a cup holder and install the LR wireless charger.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

I was thinking of fabricating something in several parts. Each part would be stuck with double sided tape to the dash, left, right and top.
    Each component would then fit together so that the completed bracket would push the tape against the dash (sides and top). This would prevent it from coming unstuck when the vehicle gets hot in summer.
    This way the vent would be completely unobstructed.
    The phone charger bracket would then fix to the assembly.

This should be easy to remove without damage to the car.
    I would of course like to save myself the trouble should Brodit come up with a solution before my disco is delivered
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

The Brodit mount positions the phone nicely. Losing the vent made no real difference to cooling in the heat we’ve had this summer to be honest.

Unless you mount a holder on the windscreen or on top of the dash there’s no real alternative if you need the screen for navigation.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

My mobile is a Samsung Galaxy on Android and works perfectly in my new D5. I used to put it in the slot down by my right knee or some other such hidden place but was then always forgetting to take it out when I got out of the vehicle.
    So what I do now to make sure I don't forget it when leaving the vehicle is put it in the door slot then when I get out I no longer forget it as I use the slot to open the door.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

i've got it down here with a wireless charging pad, so far so good. now to wait for apple carplay and android auto and it would be perfect.

18MY All-new Discovery HSE SD4 Loire Blue & Black Pack
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Printed phone bracket

Based on Big AL's design, (see tips & tricks thread) and following advice and help from him, I've knocked up a prototype bracket out of PET plastic.

Problem is I don't yet have my Discovery so I can't try it.

If anyone preferably in the UK would be willing to see if it fits maybe you could PM me where to send it.

I don't want it back, I just need to know if it fits and if it doesnt what I need to alter.

cheers

AJ Very Happy

• achichon
    Gibraltar 

if u give me the STL i can print one and test it

• Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi no probs sending you the STL - I think I can only send photos through the forum though, so you'll need to PM me with your email address Very Happy

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • achichon
    Gibraltar 

no worries, just pm'd u Smile

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum