Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Doh yeah I meant Jacking! So the unfortunate thing is that this IS the wives car! She has the ability to find every possible obstacle and find a way to damage it and then blame everything else other than her own inability! Would it be easily possible to buckle the undercarriage if she hit a step too hard?
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Doubt it, the original sidestep in the post is substantial, very robust and has a heavy rubberised coating, but anything is possible when it comes to wives.
  • Craigp
    England 

Im sort of toying with the idea of side steps but more for door protection than for getting in and out. Had them on a a D3 some years ago and just used to have a black mark across my trouser leg. So how much protection am i likely to get from doors opening onto my door? Thanks
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

If I go by how high on the door I have had marks from other people banging their doors into my car I would say pretty much next to nothing. Reason being the outside skin of the door is a bit rounded for a better word, with the widest part of the door often being just below the door handle. I don't believe the sidesteps stick out far enough to stop that widest part of the door touching. You'd be better off with the rubber door protection strips, but even with those I have my doubts that they do the job.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Craigp
    England 

Damm was trying to justify them. They do look nice. Would you like to reconsider your assessment 😭😭
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

It more depends on whats parked next to you. I have the Sidesteps UK ones and they are wider out than the doors so in my mind will give you some protection. When in Carparks I alway park in off road height as well so it moves the steps up - seems to help with protection

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

It's a 4WD. I keep mine dirty, which seems to work far better in shopping centre car parks protecting the paintwork.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

[quote="Dangerdave"]Don’t know what or where the hacking point is. Shocked but it doesn’t obscure the jacking point.

I've got these side steps. I've just tried to use the Jack but it seems to be obscured by the sidesteps brackets.
    Am I missing something?

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Labbix

I have the original sidesteps and this is how it looks: first 2 are at back, 3 and 4 is front:

Nothing blocked, maybe a bit hidden, but still usable.
  • Labbix

Apparently position changed, so first 2=front while 3 and 4 is at the back
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

My Sidesteps UK have the head of 2 bolts inside the jacking recess.
    This prevents the Jack from reaching the jacking point.
    Maybe I assembled them wrong but I can't see how, they're very simple to put together.
    Brilliant sidesteps of course,

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Labbix

At the dealer they just use big rubber blocks under the total of the jacking point. So no need to get into the holes... maybe an option, but not with the simple jack JLR supplies of course.
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Hi Labbix
    Yes that makes sense.
    I triedmaking a wooden block to fill the hole and at tempted jacking on those without success.
    I must admit I didn't have much time available and maybe with more care I could improve the design.

For now I have a car with a spare that I can't use unless I can find someone close by with a trolley Jack! Shocked

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

@ dodlestonian - I cant see from you pic, but on the brackets on my Sidesteps UK steps, you dont jack from the original point, you jack from under the step brackets, see pic here of mine:

You can see the bottom of the bracket has the "same" design (well it has the notch for the jack loctaion) as the orginal jacking point and this is where you now jack from.

Hope that helps
    Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum