Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• maxmax
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Side steps from sidesteps.co.uk

Ordered Tuesday, arrived Friday and fitted today.

The instructions are brief to the point of being useless, but that’s the end of the bad news. They came well wrapped and protected, with each bracket labelled to show which corner it is.

The two front brackets use three 14mm bolts each and the only thing I needed to do for access was put the car in off road height (axle stand under in case it dropped on my head) and remove one black plastic plug next to each bracket to get the socket on a bolt. They hold the trim under the door in place and just pull out by hand. You need to bend the trim a bit, at which point a little dirt falls into your eyes, so some glasses might help. The bending is temporary and it all goes back the moment you take the socket away. (The second picture above shows the trim plug/clip out - it goes back in afterwards.)

The two rear brackets use two bolts each and have a captive butterfly bolt already attached.

Total fitting time for four brackets was around 35 minutes and my hands are surprisingly blood free. Nothing to cut in terms of trim.

The steps then sit onto the brackets. Be careful not to drop them at the loose end while tightening the first end and take a look at the picture to see which is left and right, they’re not labelled. It’s the only part where a second pair of hands might have helped. That was another ten minutes with a 13mm socket.

Then a final ten minutes tightening everything up. The instructions don’t get as far as torque, so I went for as tight as I could get with a 25cm wrench. Mental note to check the bolts in a little while and see if they stayed tight.

Do they stick out far enough to give car park protection? I think so, but it’s fairly fine on what sticks out most. The car automatically lowers in car parks, I wish it had an automatic raise mode, I think it would make protection a bit more sure.

Tools used three sockets and some hand wash. Fairly easy job. Looks nice.

Very happy so far.

Last edited by maxmax on 15th Sep 2018 8:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Looking good.

Do you have a link for these please?

I am debating original LR side steps v. these ones.

I’ve had Britparts on a D4, but they tarnished and the side strip dropped off so I reverted to genuine ones. I don’t want to make that mistake again, but the. I don’t want to. Jack about cutting the under tray either. Rolling Eyes
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 

HSE Lux MY17 in Loire Blue with deployable tow bar, activity key and cubby fridge. (And Apple CarPlay and Android Auto)
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Thanks and defo no cutting of the under tray etc?
  • maxmax
    United Kingdom 

Def no cutting Smile

On the second picture you can see the hole in the black plastic trim where I had to remove one plastic clip to access the bolt. The clip went back in afterwards.

It really was a one wrench and three sockets job to do the whole thing.... oh I forgot, I had to cut the cling film off the packaging... does that count?

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Looking good Maxmax Thumbs Up

Fitted the pure black ones, as was not wanting them too tarnish with all the road salt up here in winter.

(The silver strip on the D4 steps pitted badly and was not wanting a repeat performance)

6 months later and no problems.

Solid, heavy chunky steps, compared to the thinner LR ones and less than half the price.

Thats alot of beer tokens 🍻 Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Does anyone have or seen the deployable side steps from LR?
    https://www.landrover.co.uk/Images/All_New...293375.pdf

A bit expensive at £3k however might be quite cool
  • UrbanSplash
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Silicon Silver

Sidesteps uk were ace. Fitted for free.

• UrbanSplash
    United Kingdom 

• Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Hi Urban Splash

Do these side steps actually stick out further than the door surface as it's difficult to tell from the images?

Regards
    Martyn
  • UrbanSplash
    United Kingdom 

They stick out just past...

• Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Thanks for that
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Just got a set, but the fixing brackets are different. Haven’t started to fit them yet.

• Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Do these still allow access to the cars hacking point? Are they high enough that the missus won’t kerb the side steps? Worried about her ripping the underpanels of the car basically!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Don’t know what or where the hacking point is. Shocked but it doesn’t obscure the jacking point.

As for your Mrs kerbing the side steps, with wives anything is possible. Just inform her not to drive your car! Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum