Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Jarse
    Australia 

Priming the windscreen is a 2-step process. Firstly, the area to be primed is cleaned with a strong solvent to remove any oils that may have found its way onto the surface. Then the black primer is applied. It serves 2 purposes - to bond the urethane to the glass, and to provide an UV shield to the urethane, as it reacts and breaks down in UV.
    The sams primer is used on the body of the car, mainly for bonding.

If the urethane is disbonding from the glass, perhaps a step has been skipped or not done properly during manufacture?

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Hi Jarse the windscreen company told me they have fitted and re-sealed dozens and dozens of Discovery's from 2017 to 2020 cars. So JLR haven't fixed the problem, it's a fabulous car but only buy a JLR car with a long warranty.

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Mine has started to leak today. Water running down the inside of the windscreen on the near side. Is it best to contact Land Rover assist?

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Not sure JLR assist will be able to help.
    They will probably just advise you to take it to your preferred dealership as soon as convenient.
    At least the weather forecast isn't too bad for the next few days.
    Best of luck.
    Thumbs Up
  • Whippetman
    England 

Might be good forecast for next few days but if experience is as “normal” you probably won’t get a fix for anything up to 4 weeks Big Cry

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Yes this is Wales where it never stops raining from November to April. I have called LR assist and they are sending someone today. The front passenger side carpet is soaking looks worse than I first thought.

• Whippetman
    England 

Do keep us updated !

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Well just had a guy from the AA come and he has been told to put tape on the top of the windscreen. When you push on the top of the screen water runs down the screen. LR assist are refusing to collect the car and are telling me to book it into the dealership on Monday. I don't think I should be driving it in this state plus there is now a lot of condensation in side. I am not happy with LR assist response should I make more fuss?

• Whippetman
    England 

Last thing you want is water messing up the electrics.

• RDR
    United Kingdom 

mine had a new screen beginning of the month due to water leak from top of passenger side dealer seemed very well versed with the issue.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Jarse
    Australia 

Yeah that doesn't surprise me, Chalkey. Mine goes in on Thursday. I'll see what happens. The thing that gets me is it isn't hard to do it right the first time. There are literally thousands of other makes and models that use the exact same process, yet don't leak.

One of the good things about AU is we have a consumer guarantee that goes beyond the manufacturer's. Provided I get the car serviced as per the schedule (and on time), I can get certain items fixed free under "fit for purpose" laws. Thumbs Up

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

my 2017 started leaking early October, 3 months after the end of the warranty. Dealer ordered a new screen, took 4 weeks to arrive. Got car back after 2 days ay dealer and they haven't changed the screen, they have just resealed it. Told JLR paid 80% and dealer paid 20%

Assume cost would have been minimal to just reseal rather than replace.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Getting a bit frustrated now. Phoned the dealership. They can't book it in for 3 weeks. Phoned LR assist told them I am not happy to drive it for 3 weeks in current state. They told me that to call LR customer service, which I have. They cut me off on the first call after they told me that they would call the dealership. So I phoned back and this time they told me that the car will be picked up taken in to assess.
    I said I wanted a replacement.car.but they reckon they have to assess.if my car is drivable first. Would that be right?

• Whippetman
    England 

Sounds like LR usual attitude for customer with warranty claim!

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

My dealer wouldn't take it in til they had a new screen in stock (Solar attenuating and HUD) took 3 weeks for screen to arrive and another week and half to get car booked.

Luckily despite the fact I could see the screen move when I pushed on it, mine only leaked when facing nose down hill, so it didn't get particularly wet in the intervening few weeks, unlike others.

Wonder what they did with the new screen? Billed JLR 80% and kept it in stock?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum