Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

Start/Stop doesn't

Can anybody enlighten me as to how often the start/stop system might not operate. Mine seems to never work at the moment.
    I know climate control can affect it but I didn't think that would be full time....
  • Down & Dirty
    United Kingdom 

Think also state of battery effects it Thumbs Up

2018 HSE Now Gone
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Mine didn’t work and I found out it would only work if you press the brake pedal really hard !
    Give it ago it might work ?
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

It did work a few weeks ago and I found that you could avoid it kicking in by pressing the brake more lightly, but no matter how hard I press now, it never stops. Battery seems fine. Cranking no problem. I sense a dealer visit looming....
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Had similar issue with a D4. The dealer basically polished the headlights and said it was fine, 3 times! Eventually it kicked back into life after a very enthusiastic emergency braking manoeuvre Embarassed

Worked fine after that. A lot of threads on other forums about brake pressure sensing being the usual suspect.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • greg-g
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Corris Grey

Mine used to work, then the dealer upgraded the software (It was initially a recall for the climate control, but they upgraded everything), and it doesn’t work anymore. I don’t like it anyway so I’m happy with that.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Do tell me what you did to disable it permanently without having to press the button. I hate this feature, I do not believe it saves a measurable amount of fuel. The number of times it stops and then I drive off a split second later are countless. And in the unlikely event there should be any fuel savings, they are outdone by remote starting to get the cabin to an acceptable temperature.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

I would expect that Land Rover haven't included an owner option to disable as it would in theory affect the claimed emissions figures, even though most of the stats are largely Censored (like MPG).
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

In the D4 you could disable it by disconnecting the small Stop/Start battery, same as the RRS. You wouldn't get any warnings or Unavailable icons if you did this. I believe the D5 uses a capacitor instead of a battery and I don't know how to disable it yet or if its even possible.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • easepace
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Fuji White

stop start

Mine was faulty last year Guy Salmon had it in twice for over a week in total , I threw my toys out of the pram when they asked me if I charge a phone in the car. I pointed out the battery was over 100amp hour rated and the phone drew milliamps and asked me what I wanted them to do !!
    I rang Land rover customer services and It was booked in at Sturgess Leicester they fixed it in a day Faulty battery .
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

I may have some clues as to what the issue is - perhaps someone else has a similar result.
    I generally start the car before putting on the seat belt. This seems to prevent stop/start working but I need to do more journeys mixing the order of start/belt to be sure.
    Past 2 or 3 journeys when I've remembered to buckle up before starting the engine, the stop/start worked but it was unpredictable - as in, it would stop sometimes and sometimes stop the engine when I select park, but sometimes not.
    I've booked it in for checking but knowing my luck it will behave impeccably for them.
  • greg-g
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Corris Grey

After my previous post about my stop/start not working after a software upgrade I had a fiddle.

On my MY17 I have the Capability Plus Pack. In some settings stop/start is disabled. I normally leave this set in Auto, but I changed back to the general program, I also cycled the stop/start button. The stop/start then started working. It stayed working for a while although I try not to activate it. After some time, it again stopped working.

The Terrain response is now back on Auto, I haven’t touched the stop/start button and the stop/start isn’t working. I have no idea what’s going on but hopefully it will stay not working.

I do have a couple of other software ware issues I haven’t followed up on.
    With Advanced Tow Assist, the car doesn’t remember the calibrations for the trailer. This is annoying but not critical.
    At home if I park the car normally without locking and come back latter I get the warning message “Gearbox Not In Park”. The message is wrong as it's always left in Park. It self clears after about 10 seconds.

MY19 D5 SD4 SE
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

I was booked in on Wednesday to have it looked at but it started working again - mostly, so I've cancelled.
    There's a long list of conditions where it won't work and I think my issue was mainly that I had air con running.
    So, now, it works mostly but sometimes doesn't and it's difficult to fathom whether it's working to spec or intermittently.
    I'll just see how things go. I actually like the feature as I don't like to be stationary while in drive for very long but I don't like to be in and out of neutral in stop-start traffic.
  • easepace
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Fuji White

stop start

I drive with my aircon on all the time. Guy Salmon tried that one with me , I pointed out the car comes with air con as standard so the stop start should should be able to cope with that else its not fit for purpose.
    Since the new battery it works fine in all weathers once it is warmed up (5 mins) , I even tried starting the car and then putting mt seat belt on .
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Our BMW with the same gearbox turns off stop/start when selecting sports mode. I should try that on the D5.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum