Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Spare tyre pressure warning light

When I collected my MY2019 a little over two weeks ago the salesman said all D5 and RRS models were showing a ‘check spare tyre pressure’ warning upon startup, but that the warning light goes out within a minute and should stop altogether after about a week. He couldn’t explain it, but seemed sure it would go away of it’s own accord.

It hasn’t so far and I just wanted to know if others had seen this, or whether I’m possibly being told fairytales?

The warning does extinguish, which suggests the pressure is ok (can’t be faffed to actually check) but am intrigued as to the error.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Labbix

I never had a warning regarding the pressure of the spare wheel, it’s a MY18...
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

+1 on that

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Mine was coming on at first so I put some more air in the tyre. It came on a few more times but now it doesn't. I think the car has to drive for a certain time / distance before it reads the pressure correctly.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Mine comes on every time, at start-up only. Dealer told me it’s normal! ????
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

I would have thought that the first thing to do would be to check the pressure.
    I had a low pressure warning for the spare a couple of weeks ago. It was borderline, I inflated it to spec and now there's no warning.
  • sbrown
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Carpathian Grey

I've had the same on mine. Not had the time to actually check the tyre pressure in it. I suspect it may be as simple as pumping up the tyre a little but it's such a faff to drop the tyre to check!

For reference, mine wasn't on for the first few months of driving after collection so I have no reason to suspect that it's a fault rather than my laziness!
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

My dealer delivered the car to me at home. He tried to drive to me on various occasions but he gave up 4 times as the Spare TPMS warning kept coming on. They tried all sorts to fix it (usual stuff, pump up tire, drive it for a bit, polish headlights, talk c**p etc) but he didn't believe the service department saying it was normal - I would imagine he's driven quite a few brand new Disco 5's. They eventually changed the sensor and the warning went away. MY19 Sd6.

It's not normal but it only seems to affect recent cars so probably a bad batch of sensors.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • LiftedDisco
    United Kingdom 

Yep... mine has the TPMS light on for the spare - been through the saga of asking the dealer (nicely), getting naff all back, so then emptied the boot load bay (it is a Commercial after all...), lowered the spare to check wheel, over-inflated the wheel (per dealer instructions...), all to find that the blessed warning light is still there.

Oh well... it’s in with the local (non-supplying) dealer on Wednesday for an early oil change at just under 5k miles!
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

Just driven a Landrover Experience Sd6 - 3 weeks old and has the Spare TPMS warning every time you start the engine. The staff said it was there on both their new Sd6's and had never seen it on the Td6's. Definitely points to an issue with the sensors. Why just the spare wheel sensors is very strange.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I've just started to get the same problem but have been told by LR customer services that there is nothing, at the moment, that can be done.
    Apparently it is the last tyre to be checked and by the time the sensor gets there it is 'Tired' so takes the easy option Wink
    My spare has been dropped and checked and all is OK but it does seem strange that it has only just started at six months and five thousand miles.
    My local LR dealer said that until LR come up with a new Software update I have to live with it.
    It isn't too bad as the warning does go out after a minute or so.
    I would not have expected LR to have released a vehicle with so many software faults and at such a price too.
    This is like the old days.
    I have been fortunate in that I have always bought new vehicles and in those dark days of the sixties right up until the early eighties all my new cars were delivered with a list of things that can be put right under the guarantee within the next six months of new ownership Sad
    In those days it was mostly leaky boots, windscreens or sun roofs, nothing too technical.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

So, mine had the problem before delivery, sensor replaced and no problem since. Seems to contradict the 'Tired' explanation!

I'm not sure if this is true of MY17/18 but on my MY19 you can actually use the TPMS while inflating the tyres. I've just done it. No need to drive for 15 minutes etc as per the D4. Inflate, wait a minute, look at the display and the new reading will be there. I can't remember if I switched off between readings though.

If anyone with the issue is really keen they could replace the spare with one of the roadwheels and see if the warning is transferred along with the wheel. A bit extreme but it is what I'd do if I still had the issue.

Another theory: If anyone can confirm if the MY17/18 did not have realtime TPMS readings then they have changed the sensor between model years. A typical Landrover scenario would be to use the wrong sensors on the spare wheel!

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Hi Graeme,
    When LR assist told me to take my vehicle into my local LR garage they also suggested to take the spare off and try one of the road wheels already in use.
    I contacted my LR garage before I went in as I know they are always very busy and cannot help at short notice.
    Just as well I did as they told me that LR are aware of the problem and nothing can be done at the moment.
    I told them what LR assist had suggested and asked if I could come in and was told, No there is nothing to be done until LR update their software, and when it is, I will be notified !!!!
    So I have to live with it until then. I wonder how they know which vehicles have this problem as it would seem not all do.
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

That is just weird. Mine was definitely fixed. It might come back though!

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

It seems strange that such a costly vehicle can be released for general sale without being tested to the umpteenth inkle !
    Had I known of the problems I would not have bought it and waited for the new Defender as that would appear to be nearer the old D4 and would have suited me more for my purpose.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum