Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Service plan renewal ?

Well thats the car hitting 5 years this month, and this is the final service under the 5 year plan we took out. (I think it was £750 for 5 years).

Never taken a service plan out ever before, let alone an extended warranty on any car, as they usually get traded in year 3.

What with Covid, working from home, uncertainty about future of petrol, diesel, hybrid or fully electric, we decided to hang on to it, as its just about to hit 25k.

Been relatively trouble free touch wood.

My question is that can you pay for a say 3 year service plan or 2 year one ?

Definately not keeping it for another 5 years, as will trade it in if the D6 every sees the day of light,so whats the best way to go, as still want it maintained by a dealer and not an independant garage, as looking at yearly servicing prices its crazy compared to the 5 year we took out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 4th Mar 2023 10:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I don't think they do service plans any more. Or if they do, it's no longer a cost effective deal.

I took the plan with my previous D5 and even though I only kept it for 3 years it was good value for money. I couldn't get a similar plan for my current D5.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Jon M.

Yes deffo agree, as was worth its weight in gold.

Just a pity with what's happened in the last few years, the cars not been used to it's full potential, or as was intended, like trips abroad, etc.

So no point changing it now with so few miles on it for another D5, especially with new models reportedly coming out in 2025/2026. Will hold on until then.

Hence reason i was asking for a shorter service plan.

Oh well will just have to bite the bullet and pay yearly Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

LR do have their 3+ service offer which should be cheaper than just rocking up at the dealer, will still give a LR service history.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 4th Mar 2023 10:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks TrevorB1, I never knew it existed. Will look into it. Thumbs Up

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

I am an advocate of PAYG servicing with my local LR main dealer.

It certainly worked out cheaper for me. For 5 years worth of servicing, less than £700 against your £750.

You just don’t take their first quote, tell them to sharpen their pencil. Never fails and if it does, go to the next dealership.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Darras, shall look into it. I think south of the border servicing is cheaper than up here in in Scotland.
    For my car I was £125 cheaper 100 miles away in Inverness than my local dealer. Dealer was stunned and asked why the difference?

• MHP
    England 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

I’ve just been quoted £2800 for a 3 service plan, I think this is very expensive but waiting for the stealer to come back with a breakdown of the cost.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

WTF £933 per service ? Shocked
    That's a major Censored take Shocked
    Is that for a brand new car, or renewing after 5 years, after the original plan has expired ?
    Either way it's daylight robbery Shocked

• Craigp
    England 

Road Runner, I believe Darras has the 2litre engine so only serviced every 2 years not annually as per the 3litre. The £750 for 5 services was an absolute bargain as it turns out. Unfortunately as you say not to be repeated.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes, you’re right. I am not familiar with the servicing requirements of the 3lt tbh. Is the yearly servicing basically an oil change?

In anycase, the service plan was possibly worth it for the 3lt, but not the 2lt.

That apart, I used to play off one garage against another, even a couple of hundred miles apart. Without exception they all came down from the initial quote. You simply don’t accept the first price they give you.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well maybe that's why the 2 litres were failing prematurely, if only getting serviced every 2 years. Common sense would tell you that for such a heavy car and smaller engine, yearly serving would be crucial.

I wonder whatever bright spark came up with that idea? No wonder the companies loosing money replacing all the engines.

Maybe the new 3 year service plan is for the newer PHEV hybrid engines, hence so expensive?

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Well maybe that's why the 2 litres were failing prematurely, if only getting serviced every 2 years. Common sense would tell you that for such a heavy car and smaller engine, yearly serving would be crucial.

I wonder whatever bright spark came up with that idea? No wonder the companies loosing money replacing all the engines.

Maybe the new 3 year service plan is for the newer PHEV hybrid engines, hence so expensive?

Whilst you’ve a point, then it’s not down to the consumer to decide what the servicing intervals should be.

If LR thought likewise, it would be easy enough to bung in a yearly complimentary oil change and certainly a lot cheaper than replacing an engine.

Certainly on the Facebook D5 engine failure page, many owners did a yearly oil change and it made no difference, so now your looking at engine design.

The new replacement engine has over 100 new improvements, which would tend to suggest the latter.

Many cars these days have two yearly servicing intervals. The disco is actually quite a bit lighter than its predecessor and its power was not under rated. CC isn’t directly relatable to engine power nor durability. You’ll find many 2lt owners extolling the virtues of the car. It’s normally the 3lt owners that find fault with it, not having owned one.

The link you provide above relates to American warranty providers.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum