Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

High Beam Assist - 2010 vs 2023

I think all four of my Discoveries have had High Beam Assist, but after using it a few times on my 2010 D4, I turned it off permanently.

Driving through the Highlands at 3am earlier this week, I was intrigued to see if it was any good these days and turned it on... Blimey, it was bloody brilliant!

Not sure when it made the leap forward to stop blinding other motorists by being too slow to react, but now, instead of either full beam being on, or off, it seemingly moves the beam about so as not to startle whatever's coming at you, whilst still providing more illumination in other directions, or so it seemed.

Either way, have now left it on, and I love this feature.

Anyone else using it regularly?

I suppose tech has to improve over 13/14 years, but this was noticeably so.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

That's the matrix headlights, not just high beam assist which was just on or off.

I use it all the time, basically you're running with main beam all the time except the patch where there is another vehicle ahead.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Ah interesting, didn't realise there was a difference. But then, in the South East, I'm rarely doing night driving in the middle of absolutely bloody nowhere. It's either motorways or urban areas...

You kind of notice it more in the middle of the Highlands, or in the Outer Hebrides for that matter.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Oh, yes, the silly season has started with visitors! I take my life in my hands going out the front door.

I live remote and have used it from day one. Occasionally it fail to detect something, but nothing is 100%.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Oh for heaven's sake Daras, not this again............

For someone who has 'Newcastle' as their base, one might presume you're intruding as much as the rest of us! Laughing

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

He should come and live in the South Hams and meet the clowns and their caravans on the narrow lanes!

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

747_JK wrote:
    Oh for heaven's sake Daras, not this again............

For someone who has 'Newcastle' as their base, one might presume you're intruding as much as the rest of us! Laughing

I could say exactly the same - “not this again”. Indeed I did.🫣 You mentioned it on a public forum, which is open to comment, therefore expect comments. It’s not offensive or rude, just of a differing opinion to yours.

My base changes. I own more than one house. It’s impractical to keep changing locations.

As for the clowns on the road, I came up the A9 on Friday on my motorcycle. Don’t think the south has the monopoly on idiots. They just come up north on their holidays although there are the odd one or two home grown ones too. 🙄
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum