England 

Land Rover the least reliable brand.

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Which? always have had it in for LR Laughing
  • stick
    United Kingdom 

Sorry DG, can't see what's funny about that. They are only reporting their findings, and it is very depressing.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Sorry state really, Had 5 x D3/4s and they have got progressively worse in my opinion the latest is not put together nearly as well as my first D3 which was the best. My dealer conceded not so long back they have never been busier with warranty work particularly software related he called out the Velar and D5 are currently the most troublesome. of the current lineup. My D4 was in for the 5th attempt to fix the stop start!

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

My D5, bought the back end of April, has been in for three oil contaminations, not sure whether they were carried out but that was what it went in for, not long after delivery a software up date, then two 'Phase Four' up dates and recently a software reset !
    Each time was a day off the road and no courtesy car.
    It has now been looked at by a LR dealer I trust and today has done 300 miles with no problems.
    So keeping my fingers crossed because in the past it has been OK at the end of the day but the gremlins seem to creep in over night to surprise me on start up in the morning.
    Thank goodness I am retired, if I needed this for work I would be stumped as it is only the dog dips out on his morning and afternoon walk on the Plain.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

stick wrote:
    Sorry DG, can't see what's funny about that. They are only reporting their findings, and it is very depressing.

It's funny because Which? have slated every LR for the last 20 years ,,,other magazines that carry out similar research from customers don't appear to be anywhere near as harsh.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I have heard all this tosh about LR not being able to be driven far from a garage or having a direct line to the AA etc etc but I have had 3's and 4' s and apart from one particular model/year that suffered problems with the compressor which LR agreed was a particular batch and was changed under guarantee and a courtesy car provided so not a real problem, I have treated all the comments with the disdain it deserved, from my experience.
    However this one, the D5 now that is another story/saga altogether and until it settles down I will not trust it to do my usual European trips.
  • VeryDisco5
    United Kingdom 

Which surveyed 43,000 owners - the LR results have nothing to do with editorial bias. The fact is that the LR brand is firmly in the toilet based on owner attitudes and their real-world experience of reliability, breakdowns and quality. This perfectly matches the results from the 2018 surveys by JD Power and WhatCar. Are we supposed to believe that they're ALL biased against JLR?

Denying the poor reliability / poor quality phenomenon doesn't help the company one iota. Once they are made to realise that Brexit and diesel demonisation are only partly to blame for their reduced sales the sooner they stand a chance of recovering. At present they're burning new customers like there's an endless supply of mugs willing to put up with rubbish quality and inadequate service. In 2017, after 45 years driving I bought my first ever new Land Rover - but it was defective and I rejected it without hesitation. I shall not be buying another.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that Which surveyed 43k Land Rover owners ...they don't tell you the number of results out of 43k by make ....and why is it that Audi and BMW score worse than LR in JD Power but that differs greatly to What Car? and Which? results ....Auto Express on the other hand generally favour JLR models editorially and that is positively reflected in their Driver Power results.

I'm not pretending that there aren't issues ...but survey results don't offer a definitive picture overall because they are not carrying out a poll of drivers, they are inviting an audience to give their views which could be biased by the particular media's general opinion of a brand over a period of time.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

I’ve learnt to take Which? magazine surveys with a very large pinch of salt.

If you read the full magazine article some of the buying advice it gives is bizarre. For instance, in the “Large Saloon” category, it says that the boot size of a Large Saloon is equal to that of a full size SUV and then gives a Best Buy award to the 3 Series (over and above the 5 and 7 Series, which it lumped together in the same category) Shocked So, there you go, trade in your Land Rovers and buy a 3 Series saloon - you won’t notice the difference in boot space AND you’ll be driving a Which Best Buy Thumbs Up Laughing

It doesn’t provide any of the sample sizes (thank you DG) or workings and if ever you’ve had to fill in one of their survey forms it can be difficult to provide an accurate appraisal of a car within their odd format of questioning.

Watching Which? Magazine trying to write an authoritative car reliability report and giving buying advice on the same is a bit like watching a toddler load Lego pieces into a video recorder - cute and amusing, but with largely unhelpful results Wink

It won’t matter to most of their subscriber base anyway, they’ll carry on splashing their pensions on Honda Jazzes irrespective of what Which? publish Rolling Eyes
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

The sample Which? use should be representative of the UK vehicle parc. I think LR (all models) have about 3% market share so there should be c1,300 LR owners. That is statistically robust but you would then have to break that down by RR / Disco / Disco Sport etc. Disco Sport should be the largest segment of the sample and therefore driving the overall results.

So it's a pretty good indicator and the same methodology would apply to all manufacturers so comparisons should be valid.

It is a poor result and although owners like some of us (me included) would find the results differ from our own experiences, for JLR to grow, invest and develop great new products they need to attract new customers to the brand (97% don't buy a LR). And these results won't help do that.
  • Labbix

I can only confirm that mine, having it almost 5 months, has never been without errors, faults and failures, not even 1 day.

- no AEB
    - front assist not working
    - 2 speakers broken from start
    - fridge not working from start
    - no WiFi
    - no hotspot working
    - not being able to take 2 row head rests out
    - trouble with massage (being blocked)
    - seat cooling not working in some seats
    - no USB’ recognized or greyed out
    - rear seat entertainment not working
    - info system front and back continuously rebooting
    - Info system blocked on radio only
    - of course an oil service needed after 4000 km
    - even when standing still in garage for 10 days, the service interval goes down
    - flat battery after 2 weeks standing still
    - Bluetooth connection dropping

I doubt I will trust the brand again.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 

Seaby wrote:
    The sample Which? use should be representative of the UK vehicle parc.

No it's not representative at all ...because the people that submit to a survey generally want to say how great or how bad their motor is by filling out a survey they are driven to do so for a desired outcome ...that is different to say LR giving Which? the contact details of 1300 owners and polling them on similar questions. A poll of random owners would be more telling.

The evidence is the variances in the surveys e.g AE Driver Power vs Which? One media is very pro JLR and the results are positive ...the other is very negative JLR and the results are negative.

You cant have it both ways Smile
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 

The baddies and the goodies will average each other out. And it's exactly the same methodology for all the manufacturers to make comparisons between brands valid.
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 

but agree...the different studies do show different results which will be down to methodology. Which? are a media owner wanting to sell membership and mags. JD Power aren't. But Which? is looked at by a lot of consumers when buying cars.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum