Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Coffeecup
    United Kingdom 

pre-heating car interior

Hi all,

So, my Disco 4 had a pre-heater, that I could access though the screen and set to come on and warm my car up at a set time every day.

So far, I've discovered the rather dubious ability exists to remotely start my car and let it run for before I get up.

What I haven't established is any of the following for my 3l HSE Lux
    1/ Does it have a pre-heater (Webasto or otherwise)
    2/ Is there a timer somewhere that I can set to have the car nice and warm the same time every day (like on my Disco 4)
    3/ Is it safe to have use the remote start up and leave the engine running - i.e. can someone break the passenger window, climb in and drive off ?

All helpful replies welcome,

Laurence
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

1) and 2) - only if you selected that optional extra.

For 3) when you enter the car with remote climate running you still have to have the key on you and put your foot on the brake to make the gear selector pop out. The car is only half awake. Can’t be certain about it not being stealable so I only use it on the drive with the gates closed. I think it actually illegal to have it idling roadside with no one in it (in the uk at least). Police, fire and ambulance get exemption and use a ‘run lock’ to power vital equipment with no one in the vehicle. They cut out if you try and drive away without the key so would expect the logic to be similar in the D5.

Jon
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

all done through the in-control remote app.
    from what i can see theres no point getting the preheater anymore..?

not sure about a timer but very easy to use via the app.
    works a treat!
    used it a few times already this autumn Thumbs Up

no the car is locked and "dark" (screens off etc)key needs to be present and brake pressed to "wake".

edit..b50 beat me too it..!

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I have the Webasto pre heater and remote fob was an extra on order Shocked
    I prefer it to remotely starting the engine Doesn’t attract as much attention
    Spoke to the dealers today and all MY 19 D5s come with it as standard on the HSE Lux Thumbs Up
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

As said already - the FBH, timed climate and remote is an option, not standard.

It's something I used almost every day except in summer with the D4 so I added it to my D5. My thought is that using the FBH also pre-warms the engine so reduces the wear from cold starts whereas using the remote start just lets the engine idle cold for longer. The advice used to be to drive off ASAP after starting the engine on a cold day to help get the oil up to temperature and not to leave it ticking over to warm up. I presume that advice is still valid.

When you remote start the car, it stays locked and you still need to have the key when you get in to wake the car up and make it drivable so no, someone couldn't just break in and drive off.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

I use the Land Rover Remote app on my phone to set my Timed Climate, you can set the required temperature with that Very Happy
    I also have strange little black fob which I believe can also start the timed climate - never use it cos I can't see a way to set temperature. Anyone know about this thing?

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

The remote app starts the engine but yes, you can set the temp.

Timed climate or your little black remote both run the FBH without the engine running but you can't set the temperature (it just gets nicely warm). Either set the times you want it to run on the vehicle screen or press the button on the fob about 20 minutes before you're going to get in the car.

• TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

Shocked but ,my D5 is a PETROL engine so I don't have a FBH (I think)?!?

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
    Think yourself lucky then.... you've been given a free remote fob tha is utterly useless. Good old LR. Get it on eBay. Wink

• Coffeecup
    United Kingdom 

Thanks JonM for the explanation

I won't be happy turning the engine on and annoying the neighbours at 6am every morning, so will probably give this feature a miss.

Unfortunately it appears the car didn't come with the FBH, as I have no menu options for it, so I won't be making use of that either.

Laurence
  • graemesmith1960
    Scotland 

The D4's webasto heater was way noisier than the D5 with the engine running. On the D4 I could hear a high pitched whine from my kitchen (back of house) when it was running and it used to attract comments from the neighbours. With the D5 I had to go outside to check it was actually running it was so quiet in comparison. For me, in Scotland, its a better solution. In an extremely cold climate the fuel burning heater is better as it warms the engine block as well.

2019 Sd6 HSE Corris Grey
  • RotherhamPete
    United Kingdom 

TazDaz wrote:
    Shocked but ,my D5 is a PETROL engine so I don't have a FBH (I think)?!?

I have a FBH on my petrol D5. It’s a well used accessory.
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

Not sure why a petrol engine requires a FBH, or FFBH as they are properly known...they were designed to compensate from the highly efficient diesel not producing heat quickly enough to warm the coolant jacket and therefore the cabin heating ...petrol engines on the other hand are so thermodynamically inefficient that they would never need one Confused
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Coffeecup wrote:
    Thanks JonM for the explanation

I won't be happy turning the engine on and annoying the neighbours at 6am every morning, so will probably give this feature a miss.

Unfortunately it appears the car didn't come with the FBH, as I have no menu options for it, so I won't be making use of that either.

Laurence

I would say that the engine on tick over is probbly quiter than a FBH fom my expirience.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

graemesmith1960 wrote:
    The D4's webasto heater was way noisier than the D5 with the engine running. On the D4 I could hear a high pitched whine from my kitchen (back of house) when it was running and it used to attract comments from the neighbours. With the D5 I had to go outside to check it was actually running it was so quiet in comparison. For me, in Scotland, its a better solution. In an extremely cold climate the fuel burning heater is better as it warms the engine block as well.

its all relative when it comes to temperature I live at about the same latitude as Bordeaux Very Happy . I do use the auto start of the app when e at about -10C. and as been noted, the engine is relatively quite.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum