Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Landroverfan1
    United Kingdom 

Would the oil dilution stop you buying?

The biggest problem people seem to be having with their D5 seems to be the oil dilution which results in the service indicator coming up sooner than the 12 months/x thousand miles usual service time.

Is this the biggest issue with the D5 (backside looks aside)? Would this stop you buying one?
  • robpenrose
    United Kingdom 

Yes, would probably have to go for the 2.0l if I had to have one!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Yes I would not buy another D5 because of this issue, it is a pain in the back side despite the dealer doing the change FOC.
    It means they have to come and collect and deliver the car back to me each time which puts a 100 miles on the clock each time. Excellent service from the dealesr and I cannot fault them just LR's lack of customer care or focus

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I really wanted a diesel SUV for the combination of durability, range, and torque for off-road driving, and because diesel vehicles (aside from full-sized big-dick pickup trucks) are endangered species here thanks to VW, my choices were limited. It was either this or the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Well, or an RRS, but the D5 offered more for the money.

They're on sale now, but the current JGC has abysmal reliability mechaically, and it's interior isn't even up to par with the base 2010 Touareg I was selling back to VW. But it could be had for about $15,000 less than the Land Rover.

I guess if I was looking today, all other things being equal, I'd still be shopping the Disco against the JGC. And I think I'd probably still choose the Disco - the refinement, style, and technology are far superior, and worth the money IMO. So far mine has been solid mechanically, and aside from the expected new model hiccups like software updates, it's been great. As soon as I get Android Auto it might just be 98% perfect - that could go to 100% if they resolve the oil dilution issue.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Oil dilution was one of the reasons for keeping my D4 a bit longer and waiting for the 2019 D5 to come out before ordering.

I had no way of knowing whether it had been fixed for MY2019 or not but thought that the model change would provide an opportunity to make the changes needed to fix it.

So far (3000 miles) it appears to be fixed so I'm glad I waited. Thumbs Up

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Labbix

I wouldn’t have bought it, but before I ordered the dealer assured me it was no problem for the MY18, which turned out not to be correct.

I would have bought the Audi Q7, if I would have known.
  • Landroverfan1
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting to note.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Had a couple of DIsco Sports, one almost two years, where oil dilution was apparently a problem, but I never found this with them, but then I am very rural, so maybe that helped.

Anyway, I choose a 2lt in case I had a problem with the 3lt, but the reality might have been different tbh.
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Interesting point about Disco Sports...mine never had an issue.....as it didnt have a service indicator!!
    Weird I know and landrover tried to wriggle out of a major issue by saying I'd missed a service but when i pointed out lack of indicator ligth or display etc they quietly payed up...7 weeks later and a lot of work to the engine..which may have been dilution issues..as it went a long way between services.. Embarassed

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I would buy one, I was aware it might affect vehicles before I put in the order. Having to go in for a service has its advantages, this way the car gets a wash every 3 months inside and out.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

I am currently hanging on to my D4, which incidentally has not missed a beat these past three years, purely because I am not going to buy 3.0l diesel until I am sure they have fixed this, and I am not going for the 2.0l ingenium because I am not confident that it will tow my caravan effectively.

I have asked whether I can test a 2.0l towing but LR and their dealers refuse this request. Hence sticking with the D4 and while out the competition's offerings.

LR seem to be having a tough time at the moment. The lines are being stopped for two weeks presumably because demand is falling. This may be down to multiple factors, but thus oil dilution issue must be having an effect. I cannot be alone in holding off ordering because of this issue. Sounds like you have doubts too.
  • bammmy

Yorkietiger

This is exactly the same position I am in, I have evened email Land Rover HQ and asked them where they are upto regarding oil dilution and am awaiting there reply. Will update when I have a reply.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I have had mine for about 17 months. 2017my not sure I have a huge problem yet and have not had any early service warnings so likely I would do it again

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Had the 3l diesel initially, but not long enough for the oil dilution issues to start or give us any cause for concern, but pretty confident the issue would have reared its ugly head over the forthcoming months.
    With all the posts surrounding this on the forum was on the verge of purchasing an X5 instead.
    However opted for the 3l petrol with no regrets whatsoever. Absolute peach of an engine, smooth and quiet. All previous Discos were diesels which we prefered for the torque and towing, hence favoured the diesel with the initial D5.
    So to summarise would I buy a diesel one ?
    Nope, not with the current flock of dodgy engines. However until they get the issue addressed we will be sticking to petrol and highly likely the next one will be a petrol as well.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Landroverfan1
    United Kingdom 

Yorkietiger wrote:
    Sounds like you have doubts too.

I do indeed have my doubts, especially as LR seem to be keeping quiet about the issue rather than announcing a solution to the problem (if they have then please do correct me). I have an XC90 T8 Hybrid, Q7 and the D5 on the shortlist. XC90 is laden with kit and I actually feel my back getting better in the Volvo seats! Q7 because I have an A3 and like the interior, MMI system and its engine. Or the D5 which has the best off road capability of the three, best rearmost seats, etc etc. But sadly the oil dilution is a dealbreaker unless LR fix it.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum