Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hitch Assist - Really!?

Hi guys, just looked to tow a small trailer with my 18 D5, so put the car into reverse and chose the hitch assist. I was then subjected to questions regarding the type of trailer, the dimensions and then I was asked to put this 'target' in a place shown in the camera!?

My last 2017 D5 (before I had it swapped over), didn't have any of this, and when I got close to the hitch, the camera would zoom in for a larger picture, however I can't do any of this without adding this target to my trailer. Does anyone know if theres a way round this, so I can circumnavigate this crap about a target? What else does this target give you?

The other thing is that the place that its asking me to affix the target, is above where this trailer is! Its only a small thing and its expecting this target to be placed about 2 foot above in mid air!?

I'm towing a horsebox tomorrow, so it would be easier to add a target to this to help, however I see from previous posts, that the target has to be bought!? Don't suppose anyone has a full-size image I can download and print off, i'm guessing its no bigger than an A4 piece of paper? Think its a cheek to expect to pay for this if theres no way round it!?
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Guys, Apologies - I mean't to say 'Tow Assist', not hitch assist!

Having said that, I can't even get the the hitch assist part until I complete this Tow Assist calibration with the target!
  • DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

The target thing was on the D4 with tow assist as I recall.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I saw online that this is something bought over from the D4, however it just seems so old fashioned.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Once you set it up you can save all the data and then select the trailer without going through that everytime Thumbs Up

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

I’ve not got a D5, but on my 4 with tow assist, I never bothered with the sticker thing. When I put it in reverse to hitch up, the rear camera comes on, I just touch the screen and tick the button that puts the line on the screen.

When it senses I’m close it auto zooms to view the tow ball.

It’s only when it’s hitched and plugged in does it ask me to setup all the caravan dimensions etc. I just skip it.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 

Yeah I got the two mixed up TBH.

Hitch Assist (i.e. the camera zooms in when you get close to the hitch) works fine without having to calibrate the camera, however Tow Assist (i.e. when reversing, you get lines on the display giving you details of the path you are going along) is the part that seems to need this sticker on your trailer and needs calibrating.

I noticed, looking at the video on YouTube which shows you how to calibrate this on a D4, that once you have added this sticker, you have to drive forward for a minimum of 50m and then reverse for a minimum of 50m!? Anyone know if you have to do this also for the D5?
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

You do have to do this in the D5, I did this on my boat trailer and it calibrated ok but now it is looking for the sticker every time i hitch up. I'm not sure if this is correct.

MY17 Carpathian Grey HSE TDV6, MY18 Indus Silver HSE Lux TDV6. MY20 Lux sd6 Eiger Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

🎯

OK this may seem a daft question but where do you put the target on the trailer?
    I managed to get one from my local dealer even though no one had ever heard of it. Was met with blank stares.
    Just finished the build over the weekend and added the side extensions tonight.
    Am taking an educated guess that it needs to be attached slap bang in the middle of the trailers panel and not off centre.
    Want to ensure that it's in the correct position initially, rather than get it wrong, and I end up ripping it as it's sticky backed, if I need to move it.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 

When you are going through adding a trailer there is a box on the screen that shows where the target should go.

HTH

MY17 Carpathian Grey HSE TDV6, MY18 Indus Silver HSE Lux TDV6. MY20 Lux sd6 Eiger Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks RSR.
    Yes there is an orange target box but was not sure from memory if the target has to be bang in the middle or off centre?
    Now that you mention it I think that it doesn't have to be be in the middle, as long as its the line of sight.
    Don't have access to the car this weekend, and was just wanting to stick it on and get the trailer finished.
    I think I will wait until cars back Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 

It's been a while since I last set it but i think as long as its within the box then the system is happy.

Thumbs Up

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks appreciate it. Thumbs Up

The smaller trailer even though it's got side extensions is barely noticeable in the rear view mirror so I can't put the target on it as the orange boxes are hovering in mid air.

Not hitched the new one on yet as only fitted side extensions last night. Fingers crossed the sides are tall enough to accommodate the target. Will post my findings on here next week. Smile

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

From memory in the D5 you dont have to drive forward and backwards to calibrate, its only forward.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Russell Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum