Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Roof Box

When I collected my car 2 weeks ago it came with (I specced) the LR roof bars, and like others I thought they looked awful. So I bought the Thule 4080 Flus Railing fittings for my Thule Evo WingBars.

They look much better and I thought that was it, so this evening I fitted my Thule roof box that has faithfully carried my luggage across Europe on many journeys and took the car for a spin.....

Now I appreciate that the car is hugely quieter than the D4 it replaced, but HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, it's so noisy by comparison. I can't decide whether the car is so much quieter without the box so when it's added it's much louder, or the box on the Aero bars is just louder than before.

Before I change to the LR roof bars and try again has anybody else had a similar problem? I normally sit on the Autobahn at about 90mph, but at 70mph it was much louder than before.

I have the Thule Dynamic L box.

Cheers gents

BB
  • Labbix

Strange, I have the Thule aerobars with a Volvo skibox (made by Thule and looks a bit like the Thule pacific 780) and I had the impression it was a bit quieter than on my D4 where I used exactly the same setup (2 differences I have are 1/ the connectors from the aerobars to the car, but that’s really a minimalistic difference, 2/ the box is now a bit higher on the car, because the D5 has railings on the roof, with the D4 it was in the roof itself).
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Never had a D4 but my Yakima Skybox 18 on the LR aero roof bars is pretty quiet on my D5, quieter than the same roofbox on round Yakima bars on my old VW Touareg. Most of that noise I think was from the clamps and round bars.

Also, if it's even just a little bit out of alignment left/right it's going to make a lot of noise at high speed. I've drawn guidelines with a Sharpie on my crossbars after careful measurement.
  • Labbix

Something I just remember: make sure the Thule wingbars are closed at the sides. There are black slides at the underside of the bars, when it’s open, you get indeed a tremendous noise!

Here you see, sorry the bars are still dirty Wink

• Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Labbix

They were open, off for another test drive!
  • Labbix

Pretty sure you will enjoy this test drive way better Wink
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 

Update, box still way too noisy, so packed the car to the gunnels and left the roof box at home. Will trial it properly in the New Year when I have the time to play with it, the bars aren’t as easy to set up as the old ones, but I reckon with a couple of hours playing and test drives I will find the best setup. It was definitely louder than the D4 with the limited time I had.
  • Labbix

Hmmm, strange, did 2000km with the box on the Thule aerobars and cant complain about the noise I got. Hopefully you find the correct setup quickly, good luck!
  • Pcheaven
    United Kingdom 

My D5 had LR bars and a Thule evolution roof box. Whisper quiet.
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 

Up to what speed? It was fine up until 60mph, then got noises at 80 it was like being in a Chinook!
  • Labbix

I drove mine 160+ km/h, no problems at all, are you sure everything is closed at the bottom of the aerobars?? As this caused the chinook noise at mine indeed, but once closed... silence was the price!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum