Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

2019 MY D5 HSE Lux 2500 mile report

After seeing all the concerns on here about Oil Dilution, service intervals etc I took delivery of mine on the 27th November with a fair amount of trepidation.

Well the problems I have had have been minimal. I had the heated seats and steering wheel fail to turn on once, took a 10 minute restart to fix and the ambient lighting keeps defaulting to white. Other than that the car has been faultless,

I’m currently writing this from the Czech Republic having driven here before Christmas, the MPG across England, France and Belgium was a very pleasing 33.3 mpg, however on leaving Aachen the following morning the consumption dropped to 30 mpg, but I was high tailing it across Germany at some sort of speed. Word of advice to the parents amongst us - don’t let the child behind you read the Speedo - “Mummy, how fast is 212 kph in mph” wasn’t the highlight of the trip!

Adaptive Dynamics is an absolute tick box if you’re ordering one, the ride and handling is superb. I’m running winter tyres with heavy load pressures as the car was fully laden, it’s is slightly bumpier than normal pressures, but worth it for the peace of mind. It glides along with a planted but smooth feel.

Service reminder is showing 13500 so no concerns there, the oil is slightly off the max, but I was expecting that as it’s new.

Getting pi##ed off with the map updates being so frequent, but equally it’s good that they’re being updated frequently, if only they could download direct to the car via home WiFi and install overnight that would be even better.

So overall I’m really happy, I expect the lighting and heated seat / steering wheel glitch to be sorted in the next software update, or the one after that .......

HNY BB

Last edited by Bogblaster on 29th Dec 2018 11:19 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

Excellent info thanks.
    I get mine on 9th Jan so you've put my mind at rest.

Cheers
    AJ

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

The 2019 MY with the 306BHP engine seems to behaving as it should,

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • mse
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Mines at 5450 miles, had it in November it’s had a sensor blocked a few times impacting adaptive cruise but and the main issue is that I’ve been waiting for a genuine screen for probably a month, two have been delivered scratched.

Sits around 32mpg
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Bogblaster 212 Kph is somewhere near 130 mph!!!!!, I guess autobahn????. Obviously Disco was behaving itself. Any comments regarding at handling etc that speed?
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 

Yes, Autobahn, I didn’t do it for long as the road got busier, it was very stable and as mentioned above felt planted. The Autobahn isn’t as fast as people think and to be honest I won’t fly along unless it’s absolutely safe to do so. I do like the ACC but found that if you had it set to biggest gap I was forever being cut up by impatient people who’d then proceed to tailgate the car in front! You can override the ACC by accelerating but be warned as soon as you back off the car brakes quite sharply to regain the gap.

There was a time when I first started driving across Europe that the Bahn scared me, now I just take it in my stride and ignore the few and far between tailgaters and out and out speedsters. I now enjoy it and it definitely works, the lack of middle lane drivers is the best bit as the roads just flow.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I have used, and still do occasionally, the Autobahn and find there is no such thing as a Tailgater, or not for long anyway !
    As soon as they approach you and realise that you are going slower than them they flash you to give you time to move over and it works the other way too.
    Also I have noticed that when they flash and you move over they will acknowledge you with a smile and thanks/thumbs up, similarly they expect you to acknowledge them when they move over after having been flashed by you.
    I find it all very civilised over there, nothing like the gestures you can get over here in UK when carrying out road manoeuvres.
    Incidentally, my last trip from Soltau, just south of Hamburg, to Calais in my D4 I got 34 mpg and that was travelling at 'Quite fast' for most of the way but from Dover to Salisbury all I managed to get was 27mpg.
    I found that over there, once I reached a certain speed it more or less maintained it on CC and the revs dropped whereas over here I could hardly use CC for long without having to brake and then accelerate to get back to the speed I was originally travelling at.
  • Bogblaster
    United Kingdom 

Whilst I partially agree, I'd also say that the standard of driving is definitely on the decline, 4 or 5 times I witnessed a car in the outside lane sat there with both the inside lanes clear, they were flashed at and finally moved over. Probably Brits on holiday...…

Personally I love the idea of flashing and it considered not a problem, if only that worked in the UK instead of being greeted by gestures and mothed obscenities,

I would love to see Middle lane and outside lane hoggers penalised, or shot!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

shot!! but only if they let me have the gun mounted on the front of my Disco Laughing
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

If the autobahn is clear I usually stay in the outside lane because there are no drains or crud washed to the side of the road.
    But, as soon as I see another car approaching, whether I have been flashed or not, I move over to let them pass.
    I have found the 'Flash, get out of my way I am going faster than you' system to be very good and seems to be accepted much more friendlier than UK.
    It also lets me use the CC more often and for longer periods Smile
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I've driven extensively in Germany and can say that what you are saying is absolutely spot on...

Over here if you are fast approaching a car sat in the fast lane and flash they BRAKE !!!! In an attempt to show you the error of your ways.

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

EMcC wrote:
    If the autobahn is clear I usually stay in the outside lane because there are no drains or crud washed to the side of the road.

Beware that the law is you have to go back to the right hand lane, you can get booked for driving in the left lane when not overtaking. This is true in the Netherlands and Germany, and probably other continental European countries.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

I was stationed in Hildesheim for three years, Celle for two years and Soltau for three years, apart from Berlin there were no other troops nearer the Border than those postings.
    So to get to the West country in UK it was a fair old distance to Ostend or Zeebrugge, Hamburg was out as it only went to the midlands Sad
    During those postings I had a very good experience of Autobahn driving both North and South on holiday and naturally West to the ports for UK leave.
    Give me Autobahn and it's users any day over the motorways here in UK.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

IndusD4 wrote:
    EMcC wrote:

Beware that the law is you have to go back to the right hand lane, you can get booked for driving in the left lane when not overtaking. This is true in the Netherlands and Germany, and probably other continental European countries.

Quite true, that is why I only do it when the road is clear and with my eye on the rear view mirror, see my post above Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum