Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pjhum
    United Kingdom 

B pillar trim scratches...what is safe to use?

Hi,
    I use my D5 on a rough narrow track with overhanging trees/hedges every day and 2500 miles in, the B-pillar black trims are (finely) scratched to blazes. The issue is when the foliage is wet it hangs down and brushes the side of the car- we're not talking high speed here, but the black finish is not most durable... there isn't a mark on the painted areas.

I suppose I could just accept that it gets used & abused and leave them be, but as I'm still smarting from paying for the car I'd like to try and polish the scratches out; after a bit of neighbourly persuasion I have now managed to get the hedges cut back, so if I *can* polish them out the effect will last.

Question is, what to use? are the black trims lacquered, or through coloured? they seem soft (having scratched so easily) but will they polish?

Anyone had the same problem or found a solution? I suppose worst case I just replace the trims- assuming that is possible- but I'd leave that 'till I was going to sell the car so it didn't happen again...

Peter
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Peter, I had the car ceramically coated and the detailer told me that if you even so much as breathe on the gloss black trim it will mark.

He was saying he doesn't know why manufacturers still use gloss black, even though it looks cool.

Even from new the car had fine swirl marks on the gloss back bits, and were polished out with a single stage detail using a machined rotor pad and polishing compound, and then coated with the ceramic to protect it from future swirl marks when washing.

The best thing he told me was to get them wrapped in a vinyl wrap if it bothered me that much, as the gloss black ascents are really soft.

I would suggest a normal car polish to try and buff it out.

DO NOT USE T-CUT AS IT HAS A CUTTING AGENT AND WILL DEEPLY SCORE THE ASCENTS EVEN MORE.

Am not sure if it's just a coating but more likely the black is added to the plastic and through it, otherwise you would see the different coloured underlayer when scratched.

I bought the side strip protectors which are white on the rear but gloss black on the outskirts which seem to be a lot more durabile and resistant compared to the ascents. I presume the ascents are also coated with a layer of lacquer or polish, but a very thin layer at that as so easily marked, but I may be wrong.

I remember from the workshop photos that all the gloss black trims had blue sticky tape all over them to protect them from scratches

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Just replace those plastic bits once the scratches become too bad or you want to sell. Surprisingly they aren't that expensive, Two of mine were replaced and from memory the parts were around 80 AUD each. I'm sure they will be cheaper in the UK.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Dodlestonian
    United Kingdom 

You can polish scratches out of plastic windows using a soft cloth.
    It's nowhere near as aggressive as T-Cut.
    I'd certainly give it a go, if it doesn't work as expected you could then replace them.

2019 D5 Lux. HUD, adaptive dynamics, dynamic pack 2, cooler box, privacy glass, advanced tow assist, black roof rails, massage seats, tech plus pack, detachable towbar, driver assist pack, capability plus pack.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum