Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Well yes, obviously JLR dealer pay their highly skilled technicians 3x what volvo do, because they do such a fine job of ensuring the cars are presemted to the highest standards and are trouble free and utterly reliable to maintain that super premium reputation

God if i had bought a Range Rover it would have been driven through their showroom windows by now and set on fire

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Probably less!
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 

Sounds like you've had less than a 'premium' experience with yours ?
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Taken 4 months to get the car in the condition it should have been before delivery (they didnt comply with approved used terms and conditions) and now i find i am stuck with early service requirements amd costs

Cant wait to get rid, worst car purchase and ownership experience i have had in 30 plus years

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear that. Keep tabs on my reports once I take delivery, whenever that may be - 2019 I hope!
    Good luck anyway.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I am sure a new 2019 SD6 will be fine. 90% of my issues were caused and then aggravated by the dealer, which is on a par with all ofnthe others within 50 miles of home

The other 10% is the early service issue, that LR wash their hands of and exoect customers to put up with esp on 2017, theres a partial fix of 2018

If the service issue was resolved and i didnt have to go near another LR dealer i woukd be hapoy

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Bursztyn wrote:
    It's all about perception. How many uninformed Joe public including journalists refer to any Land Rover as 'Range Rover'? Just look at the recent press articles and news reels (BBC for one) about the Duke of Edinburgh's recent accident referring to his Freelander as a Range Rover. JLR no doubt exploit this ignorance to their marketing and pricing advantage.

I agree pure ignorance. You would think having a degree in journalism that they could at least read or do some homework before putting pen to paper.

What really gets my goat is when people refer to a LR as a Jeep or any other 4x4 for that matter Big Cry

Like calling a Dyson a Hoover, when both are obviously vacuum cleaners Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

mordred1973 wrote:
    Whereas I would say a Discovery is no more premium than a XC90

And the service the dealer provides is inferior to a Seat or Fiat dealership

Hmmm I doubt Her Majesty would never be seen driving an XC90 Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Thats because Volvo wont provide one for her free lol

• Rikster23
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

mordred1973 wrote:
    Whereas I would say a Discovery is no more premium than a XC90

And the service the dealer provides is inferior to a Seat or Fiat dealership

I owned an XC90 T8 for just over a year and it looked beautiful, particularly the rear which I think has to be one of the nicest looking backsides of any Premium SUV.

However... despite the interior looking all stylish and Scandinavian, it didn’t come up to the LR build quality... I had the inscription, so the top end one... lots of shiny black “premium” plastics that squeaked, scratched and broke. The hand brake switch was a bit of plastic that literally came off in my hand when I applied it one morning. The rear vents were so flimsy that they broke three times. The 20” wheels (which luckily I didn’t have) were notorious for transmitting an unbelievable amount of noise into the cabin (I was on 21s which, strangely, were better but even then the noise levels were much higher than on any other car I had had.) And the ride quality, even with the air suspension, was appalling... I dreaded any slight indentation or pothole as the car would crash into it (please note, I have 3 kids and am far from a racing driver!).

Finally, the dealer experience was so so at best. It felt like I was buying a Ford Fiesta (great car btw) not a near 80k premium SUV. When it broke down for the 4th time I decided enough was enough and got rid.

So, all I would say is, the grass is not always greener.

Cheers

Rik

MY2019 HSE Luxury 3.0 SDV6 - Corris grey, Dynamic Pack, Black contrast roof, Adaptive Dynamics, Electric Tow Pack
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

mordred1973 wrote:
    Thats because Volvo wont provide one for her free lol

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Thats souinds like an average Discovery experience other than the dealer being so so would appear top be a significant improvement.

The disco has shiny plastic that scratches beautifully all over the centre console and creaks nicely when going over speed humps or onto the drive. Admittedly the only thing to have falled off is the flass in one of the door mirrors.

I just wish I could afford to flog it back and go buy something considerably cheaper which could not be a worse car and will more than likely be considerably more reliable.

• Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 

My experience of six LRs with extensive driving all over Europe and here was very different and have to say very positive. That said Freelanders had a few minor issues but all fixed by local LR dealer Lookers, West London at that time. Again, experience of this dealer was always positive and mainly why wife and I had six over a period of 15 years clocking up thousands upon thousands of miles.
    Wife was also very happy with Freelanders as day to day workhorse and Discoverys' driven largely by me never missed a beat. All regularly serviced by Lookers.
    After retirement and move to rural parts of Wiltshire, we decided to 'jump ship' and bought a new BMW X5. Experience rather neutral to be honest, and we feel a bit out-of-place given the number of Discovers', LRs generally plus of course the ubiquitous RRs in these parts.
    Just hope I don't get a dud off the production line and hopefully still built in Solihull, maybe last few, as I have no intention of paying additional WTO tarrifs if from Nitra!

Last edited by Bursztyn on 30th Jan 2019 7:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 

My experience of six LRs with extensive driving all over Europe and here was very different and have to say very positive. That said Freelanders had a few minor issues but all fixed by local LR dealer Lookers, West London at that time. Again, experience of this dealer was always positive and mainly why wife and I had six over a period of 15 years clocking up thousands upon thousands of miles.
    Wife was also very happy with Freelanders as day to day workhorse and Discoveys' driven largely by me never missed a beat. All regularly serviced by Lookers.
    After retirement and move to rural parts of Wiltshire, we decided to 'jump ship' and bought a new BMW X5. Experience rather neutral to be honest, and we feel a bit out-of-place given the number of Discovers', LRs generally plus of course the ubiquitous RRs in these parts.
    Just hope I don't get a dud off the production line and hopefully still built in Solihull, maybe last few, as I have no intention of paying additional WTO tarrifs if from Nitra!

Last edited by Bursztyn on 30th Jan 2019 7:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 

Embarassed
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum