Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Graym
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

How and why I ended up with rejecting my Discovery

Writing this post I realise there are many many owners who have had no issues with their Discovery 5’s and I’m so envious, unfortunately I haven’t been one of them.

A bit of background……….I have three relatives and four close friends who all work across the greater Birmingham area for JLR, which made my rejection even more disappointing and I feel as though I have let them down and abandoned them in their hour of need with this Brexit malarkey looming and buying British etc etc but writing this may be my way cleansing my soul so to speak.
    In January 18 my daughter was looking for a used Evoque and I tagged along for the ride when visiting Land Rover dealerships (didn’t realise at the time it wasn’t just my company she wanted Rolling Eyes £££££) and I must say what I can only describe as this “Land Rover dealer arrogance” reared its head on a few occasions with salesmen (not sales women) which I had to step in on a few occasions to remind them my daughter was a customer looking to buy a car and stop talking down to her and played a part in my experience, however after many dealer visits and time she found one. All went well and no issues with the car from handover to present date (fingers crossed) but the Discovery 5 seed had been planted and I took every opportunity to sit and play about in the showroom models and loved them.
    So after many hours of searching I found one online and the dealership was not that far away which was a positive (and of course far exceeded my initial budget….but it was love after all and I could always sell my soul to the Devil) To cut a long story short I bought an ex JLR Senior Managers car a “Discovery 5 Farallon Black HSE Luxury with Black Pack” what a beauty and it even has TV/media screens in the back……unbelievable and so cool.

The journey which led to rejection (abbreviated version over a 7 month period)

After one week of ownership I had 16 issues and problems ranging from software to rear wiper blades faulty

I took countless videos and many photographs to assist the dealership senior techs and JLR field tech’s in resolving problems with software and build quality issues (strange I took them to help LR but in fact assisted me in the rejection process)

Sent three emails to JLR CEO Dr Ralf Speth stating how concerned I was on how much damage was being caused to the Discovery 5 name and the JLR brand (not complaining just trying to help) acknowledgement of emails but no response

Before rejection in a five month period my car was in at the dealership five weeks in total having repairs

Offered to take the day off work and travel to Gaydon so the R&D department team could see the issues and problems (no response to email)

Only one person cared at the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center and he shared my frustration for four months but still no resolution and completely ignored by the dealership which I find very worrying a franchised dealer can ignore a manufacturer

Over a six month period I sent 27 emails to the dealership and cc’d LR CRC and LR finance, once again to assist as I still was persevering with my car. Only four responses from dealership and NONE from LR finance

Booked and paid for by myself, a factory tour at Solihull so I could try and get re-engaged with the Discovery 5/brand

Here’s where we are now

All money I paid given back to me (minus 45p a mile, no big deal as it was a weekend car)

I refuse to be treated by a vehicle manufacturer and dealership the way I have been so won’t be buying JLR again as long as I have a hole in my Censored Censored

Last weekend I picked up an Audi Black Q7 Vorsprung, virtual cockpit, S-line, GB sports pack and black pack, the spec reads for ¾ of an A4 page, it’s very nice and has every conceivable extra and it all works every time all the time. The buying experience was so smooth and already I’ve had two calls from Audi asking if everything is ok and if there is anything else they can do for me.

If I have learnt anything from this experience when a fault or issue arises take a video or photo and if possible with the car registration or VIN in shot, send emails as a record for yourself and cc as many departments as you feel necessary.

And one final thought/question…………….why do I miss my Discovery so much? Do I need to book some sort of counselling?

I'm back 😬- MY2019 HSE Luxury 3L SDV6 with Dynamic Pack 2 in Yulong white 🤞
    Audi Q7 Vorsprung 3L Supercharged black edition- every conceivable extra - why do I miss my Discovery? MY2017 HSE Luxury 3L TD6 black edition, even has a tele 😍 - sadly rejected
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Not sure if you are still active on this forum but I can relate to the frustration in the Brand. I too have had issues and once rejected a nine month old L405 SDV8 Autobiography for having a hole in the leather the front seat. Believe it or not they refused to repair it by replacement but offered a smart repair that laughably they would not guarantee. I've had other issues too but usually minor in the scheme of things and these have been met by some good and indifferent service.

So after four Range Rover Vougues, all L405's (five if you count the rejected one) I bought an Audi SQ7. As usual for me it was a few months old and on the day they were to deliver the car to me the Audi Dealership apologised for sending the driver with just one key. Unbeknown to me they'd given the second key to their local criminal gang and later that night, before I'd even driven the car, it was stolen and stripped. I won't bore you too much with the detail but I can honestly say that Audi UK and the Dealership were dreadful. A far worse experience than any I've had with LR. A week later I had my fifth (sixth) Full fat.

So what I'm really saying is that I wish you well but the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence and ultimately they are all much of a muchness but the cars aren't and every time I try to break the chain with Land Rover I always come back because their cars are so good if a little temperamental. Laughing
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I too have recently gone down the rejection route as mine has now had 4 Oil & Filters in 10K miles due to Oil dilution, I too have sent emails to Dr Ralf Speth and also copied the finance company and JLRCC,

The resulting factor was pretty much the same as yours.... One email from the Finance Company telling me it was Oil Dilution caused by My Driving style????? how they diagnosed this while it was sat on my drive is anybodys guess ???????... Followed 2 weeks later by a letter telling me from finance that as the car had been inspected and no faults were found that i had no cause for rejection, this was followed up by an email from customer care also stating Oil Dilution and NO Faults found...

So..... Basically it's Snake Oil..... and JLR are looking for faults that they do not want to find..... It is currently sat on my drive and i refuse to drive it as every time it forces a re gen sat in traffic the inside fills with smoke.... This is acceptable according the lady in Customer care, as is the service shedule of only 1,700 miles between oil and filter changes, according to her that id what they are designed to do. fortunately i have recorded all telephone conversations....... which will come in handy as i am currently speaking with the editor at The Times on Sunday's mptoring section who is currently looking at the email's ive sent to establish some kind of basis for a story, Interestingly and having served in the forces 'In DEFENDERS" he wants to run with a look what he's survived but look at the way he's been treated..... British Company..... Veteran, sold a vehicle and completely ignored.

Anyway
    I've bought an 18 Plate X5 40d MSport Plus, HUD, Winter pack, 7 seats, its an absolute belter and drives like a real bruiser, never ever owned a BMW before but this thing is so well put together it oozes purpose and is rock solid and stable, As a comparison to Audi..... I've had a B5 RS4 for the past 15 years, does just shy of 1,500 miles a year and currently on 67,000 ! i have it serviced and MOT'd every year at Audi and they are 100% better than the ignorant gets who you have to deal with in Land Rover garages.
    My wheels were bent 2 years ago and they replaced all 4 for free, no questions... They are free replaceents for life tho but still..... it's a dam site better than dealing with Land Rover.

Interestingly, the ammount of people you meet in BMW garages who are getting rid of or have rejected Land Rovers is staggering.... There is or has been a shift change in the way that that JLR treat it's customers, And releasing a Profit warning on Thursday last week of a 3.5 Billion pound loss is posibly something which is fueling the slow down in rejections being accepted.

I will never buy another Land Rover, I don't care if they are British, German, Chinese or Indian made. The way their support staff treat people in this day and age is astounding. They should take a good hard look at what they are producing and who they are aiming to sell them at. Because all fingers are pointing to the States and we all know how that worked out for VW when they tried lying to the consumers over there....

And they are a lot bigger than JLR by a Long long way !

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Graym
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

BlackDog

Yes I come back from time to time just to see what happening with the hope the main Discovery issues are being sorted out, with my family and friends employed direct with JLR I have a vested interest (they are all safe for the moment, fingers crossed) and I really hope JLR/dealerships sort their act out.

I’m still bewildered how bad car manufactures and dealerships treat customers and when things go wrong they seem to get it so wrong sometimes and make matters even worse. The biggest problems I had was the franchised dealership that didn’t give a Rats ass along with the lack of backing from the main JLR and then add a sprinkling of Land Rover finance who just care about their financial risk and nothing else and “hey presto” a recipe for disaster.

The Q7 has been faultless and not even a minute software glitch with the MMI, virtual cockpit or of the many many driving aids, got around the lack of rear seat entertainment by buying and iPad and an Amazon HD 10 with some magic mounts and it works a treat. The Audi dealership has been very good in keeping in contact with me and must have rang half a dozen times to check everything is ok. What I haven’t missed when I had the Discovery is continually getting all the information (photos, videos and sending emails etc) to assist JLR/dealership to rectify my problems and issues, still with the hope that I would keep my vehicle.

Having had time to reflect I think dealerships have a large part to play in ownership and if you have one that cares you’re half way there. My regrets are I bought too early and many software and build quality issues were not addressed, I should have moved my car to a different dealership, the Discovery was my “keeper” so perhaps I should have rejected and then had another one but after the final rejection completion no contact was received from JLR and I think I persevered with the technology and quality issues for too long because I loved the car so much.

I totally get the breaking the chain and even now having this fantastic Audi Q7 the Discovery still has a hold on me. Will I be back to Land Rover Discovery? I don’t know but I have at least two years to think about it

I'm back 😬- MY2019 HSE Luxury 3L SDV6 with Dynamic Pack 2 in Yulong white 🤞
    Audi Q7 Vorsprung 3L Supercharged black edition- every conceivable extra - why do I miss my Discovery? MY2017 HSE Luxury 3L TD6 black edition, even has a tele 😍 - sadly rejected
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm pleased that you keep in touch with the forum and that time has allowed some healing to occur.

As you've seen I change my car far too often. I think I get a little bored or see something that I'd like and as life is short I usually buy it (but only EVER if I think it's reasonably priced). However, what I'd have to concede is that no other manufacturer makes me feel as special as I do when I sit in a Full Fat or a Disco.

My son has recently started working at VW, so six months ago I bought a nearly new VW Touareg R-Line Plus. I'd had the V8 a few years ago and I was impressed so my plan was to keep that for six or nine months and buy a new Touareg. The old model Touareg isn't finished like an Audi is and certainly not in the same league as a full fat but it was less than half the price of a used Range Rover and I needed a break from LR and really hoped that I could enjoy the Touareg.

The old shape one was very nice actually and totally reliable but my severe disappointment came when the new Touareg came out. It did not feel like a seventy grand car, maybe 45K but not the price they were asking.

I've had many very nice cars but when I was thinking back last week deciding what I was going to buy it came down to a choice between an Audi SQ7 and the Disco. It didn't take me long to decide. Now I'm sure I'd have had a smile on my face every time I opened up the 430bhp Audi but if I'd pulled up at the lights and a nice disco was there I'd have been looking up and wishing I was there.

Personally, I think the key is Dealers. If you have a good one you can work together and resolve problems but when that isn't the case it seems more like you are on very opposite sides. That's why I'm thinking of leaving Chester LR and trying another to see if we can have good service consistently. GoodLuck with the Q7. Smile
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

My dealer Shukers (in Ludlow, Shropshire) are the key reason I've stayed loyal to LR and had so many. Their customer service amazing. Another fact is that their staff turnover is incredibly low. People I dealt with 20 years ago are still there today !

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum