Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rover89

2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Loire Blue

New owner, confused about roof rails

Hi,
    Have owned a MY19 SDV6 HSE since October and I absolutely love the thing.

It came with the OEM LR roof rails already installed, and I'm confused about what else I need to be able to attach a roof box for our upcoming holiday.

It didn't come with the cross bars, do I need to buy them? If so, should I get the matching OEM set or consider third party? Or do some roof boxes fit directly to the rails?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but even after reading posts here and elsewhere I'm still not sure....

Thanks in advance
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Welcome!!

For a roof box, you will need the cross bars.

I know that makes like Thule make them but I haven't used them on a D5

I have the OEM JLR ones, and they work very well.

Never seen a box that fixes directly to the rails.

Some roof-racks (like the JLR one) actually replace the rails, some connect to the rails.

Hope this answers your question.

Nick
  • highbridgeflyer
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Indus Silver

Iv just purchased cross rails and fittings for my MY19, from the Roof Box Company. I went for the Thule items. I only wanted the flat profile bars, so I could mount a steel plate to them for my mag mounts and lights ( I do a bit of motorsport in my spare time) I'll see if I can find the full list of parts in the kit, but the above company has a great website for telling you what you need. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

I had Thule mounts in my RRS and D3. Excellent quality. Not quite as low profile as the JLR OEM ones though.
  • rover89

nebc100 wrote:
    Welcome!!

For a roof box, you will need the cross bars.

I know that makes like Thule make them but I haven't used them on a D5

I have the OEM JLR ones, and they work very well.

Never seen a box that fixes directly to the rails.

Some roof-racks (like the JLR one) actually replace the rails, some connect to the rails.

Hope this answers your question.

Nick

Nick, many thanks for the kind welcome and useful information, very helpful! I think I'll go for the OEM crossbars as after more searching this forum I see people having good results of these plus Thule XT boxes. I'm sure the cross rails are also flexible for future use with bike racks etc!
  • rover89

highbridgeflyer wrote:
    Iv just purchased cross rails and fittings for my MY19, from the Roof Box Company. I went for the Thule items. I only wanted the flat profile bars, so I could mount a steel plate to them for my mag mounts and lights ( I do a bit of motorsport in my spare time) I'll see if I can find the full list of parts in the kit, but the above company has a great website for telling you what you need. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks highbridgeflyer and nebc100! So these mounts effectively replace the rails and bolt directly to the car? I guess that means they're lower profile and it's a nice simple option, I'd have probably gone this route if the car didn't already come with the rails fitted đź‘Ť
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

No… they don’t replace the rails… the clamp to the rails.

They are basically the same as the JLR ones.

The only advantage of the Thule ones is that they can go ANYWHERE along the rails where as the JLR ones only clamp to the rails in specific positions.

You don’t need to worry… the JLR bars work perfectly with Thule XL top boxes. I have the Motion 900 and have used it often.

You can also put a bike “rail” on the JLR ones to take… well…. Bikes…
  • rover89

Ah stupid me, I should have paid closer attention to the photo of the manual which shows how they clip onto rails. Thanks for correcting me, this is why I'm here Laughing

I'm off to spend some money!
  • Wildrnes
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 First Edition Namib Orange

ok so i have the LR rails currently and they are nice and simple to use, BUT......

they are strangely spaced on the car and i have had to drill new mounting points so i don't damage kit i carry on the roof (canoes and surfboards)

they are also quite narrow , i can JUST fit 2 whitewater open canoes on the roof, there is no way i could get two full fat open boats on there, so I am in the midst of buying a Thule setup for the car, which IMHO is a far more user friendly system.

all the best

Matt
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Matt,

Are you sure you have them in the right place?

Mine only fit correctly in 2 places, and are spaced perfectly for bikes, my top-box etc.

I agree that the Thule is easier since it can be put anywhere along the roof bar, but don’t know if LR has a reason to limit their bars to 2 specific spots.
  • Wildrnes
    United Kingdom 

Yes
    I drilled out new mounting holes so the front is closer to the front
  • Wildrnes
    United Kingdom 

Width wise… they are tight
  • David426
    United States 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Yulong White

I purchased a Rhino brand rack and I realized the OEM bars were a little too narrow to accommodate. As Wildrnes pointed out, the usable space between the clamps is limited. I found the Thule bars to be a good fit. and as the bars attach to the clamps underneath, they provide a little more usable bar space. Also, they are engineered well, in my opinion. The outer part of the clamps seem universal while the inner metal parts are made to be vehicle specific. They fit very well and I have confidence that they won't come off. I also tried the Rhino brand bars and they were not a good fit; I was not able to secure them to my liking and I returned them.

[/img]
  • rover89

@David426 - are they the Thule Wingbar Evo? They look good from this angle.

Found an post comparing the height of the OEM cross bars unfavourably compared to the lower Thule.. https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread565.html.

oem cross rails are cheaper, but I’m not sure how big an issue the narrowness would be for me - I’d typically just have a roof box and/or at a stretch a bike or two up there…
  • David426
    United States 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Yulong White

Yes, Wingbar Evo, they are shaped like airplane wings. I ordered them in black and they come in silver also. They are 5" above the bottom of the roof rail.
    My main considerations were available width and bar placement, as I wanted a specific rack. You can look at your roof rails and find the two holes pre-drilled into the inside face of each rail; the OEM bars mount in those holes. It was not a fit for me personally and I didn't want to drill new holes.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum