Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

How good is the HUD?

Another question as I finalise my spec...

I've got a HUD in my BMW 4-series. Absolutely love it, miss it whenever I drive my wife's car and would always spec it on a BMW.

How good is the Disco HUD? I will almost certainly spec it, but have not seen it.

Especially interesting to see if anyone has experience of both the Disco HUD and the one in the Fxx or Gxx generation of BMWs.

Cheers guys!
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Is HUD the guy that used to be on TV with EMU Wink
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

mine shows the current speed limit, the current speed of the vehicle and D or S (it shows the actual gear when using paddles).

It then shows the next Satnav instruction in the form of an arrow when you're close to approaching the location of that instruction.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, sounds very similar to the BMW system. Would you spec again?
  • Labbix

Good question, especially if you would have the digital dash which can show the same info?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

It's the eyeline thing though. In my BMW I never look at the dash for the same info, as the HUD is infinitely preferable. No loss of focus on road. Things like current speed just always there in your view.

As long as the system is sharp graphically, I think I will take it on the Disco.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Re: How good is the HUD?

Equilibrium wrote:
    Another question as I finalise my spec...

I've got a HUD in my BMW 4-series. Absolutely love it, miss it whenever I drive my wife's car and would always spec it on a BMW.

How good is the Disco HUD? I will almost certainly spec it, but have not seen it.

Especially interesting to see if anyone has experience of both the Disco HUD and the one in the Fxx or Gxx generation of BMWs.

Cheers guys!

I moved to the D5 from a F10 530D with HUD. Loved the HUD on the BMW and all the info it was able to provide etc. D5 has good but I have to say the BMW interface was more slick and had more info it could do.

For example the BMW would show graphics of the car door open on the HUD when sat stationary with door open but D5 does none of that. Its ok at doing the speed/Nav (BMW better NAV info). The one thing I hate about D5 HUD is the lack of infotainment info i.e the BMW I would be able to scroll through the radio stations/tracks then use the steering switch to pick the one I wanted (even phone numbers) D5 is not capable of doing any of that. It only shows you the track name when you change track or radio station name when the Nav info pops up for next turn (station name is displayed briefly after Nav turn).

Having said all of this I certainly would not want a car without HUD. Its great having it and once you've had it you cant go back. All the advanced driver assist features also have a lot of good info that come up on HUD (cruise/blind stop assist/cruise steering assist) etc.

Here are some photos from my HUD

• MalithS
    United Kingdom 

Oh and I also forgot the HUD on the D5 can show lots of cool off road info like vehicle angle/front wheel angle (steering) etc when you put the car into one of the off road modes.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Malith, yours appears to have more info than mine, perhaps because mine is a 2017 so doesn't have digital dash (or perhaps because I don't have something ticked in the menu)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

from 2018 or 19 I believe the HUD went to a Gen2 HUD unit so the early 2017 cars will have the Gen1 HUD. I think it had less colours/features.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Yes, 2017’s have a very basic HUD. I ordered my truck before release, so no opportunity to see it before order. It was a HUGE disappointment, every time I drive our Audi (same model year) it brings home how behind JLR can be on the technology front. Forgetting the amount of information displayed compared to the gen 2, its analogous to a tube telly compared to 8K HDR on resolution.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Re: How good is the HUD?

MalithS wrote:

I moved to the D5 from a F10 530D with HUD. Loved the HUD on the BMW and all the info it was able to provide etc. D5 has good but I have to say the BMW interface was more slick and had more info it could do.

For example the BMW would show graphics of the car door open on the HUD when sat stationary with door open but D5 does none of that. Its ok at doing the speed/Nav (BMW better NAV info). The one thing I hate about D5 HUD is the lack of infotainment info i.e the BMW I would be able to scroll through the radio stations/tracks then use the steering switch to pick the one I wanted (even phone numbers) D5 is not capable of doing any of that. It only shows you the track name when you change track or radio station name when the Nav info pops up for next turn (station name is displayed briefly after Nav turn).

Having said all of this I certainly would not want a car without HUD. Its great having it and once you've had it you cant go back. All the advanced driver assist features also have a lot of good info that come up on HUD (cruise/blind stop assist/cruise steering assist) etc.

Thanks Malith! That's just the comparison that I was looking for. Flicking through the track listing is a major use of HUD for me, so will also miss that. Combined with losing the idrive knob for scrolling through lists on the main screen, it's going to be quite a readjustment.

As you say, very hard to go back to a car without HUD, so am very likely to get it anyway. It looks good for the speed and nav at least.

NB. Do you happen to know if you can engage Siri with a long press of the voice control button on the Disco? Actually, there is voice control right? I haven't checked! I use Siri quite a lot to change album in my car.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 

Yes the Siri activation works with a long press on the steering button (I have car play enabled). And yes there is voice control and a button for it on the steering

If you are getting HUD its well worth ordering the Technology Plus Pack which is HUD/Adaptive lights and IR windscreen at £1125 something as the HUD alone is £1060 (no brainer to get adaptive LEDs for £65) Very Happy

Also consider the adaptive cruise with steer assist. The car can mostly steer itself along motorways (where ever good lane markings are present) on cruise control while you just hold the steering!! I use it all the time now
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Malith, sounds good. Funny the things that you overlook checking on a test drive!

Totally agree, I have specced the tech pack on my prospective order - incredible value vs. HUD alone.

Have also specced the driver assist pack, mainly for the surround cameras but also thought the steering assist may be useful on long journeys. Again, fairly good value versus the cameras on their own.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Though basic, I like the HUD on mine, there's always going to be occasions when some info is more important or preferable to others but I guess too much could be confusing/distracting. Being more at eye level I rely on it more than I do the other displays. Would I miss it . definite yes.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum