Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

Alloys wheels blistering.

My alloys are blistering in a few places. I have the standard ones fitted for a MY17 SE. Anyone else ?
    What can i expect my dealer to do? Is it a repair or replacement.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Can I ask if you bought new or used? The reason I ask is because new wheels shouldn’t be blistering and if they are I’d be back for a warranty claim. However, if you bought used there is a fairly good chance that your wheels have been badly refurbed. By that I mean that they’ve been given a quick repair to get the car sold rather than how you’d do it yourself if you wanted it to last. Exactly the same thing happened to me with a six month old full fat.

LR were going to cough up until the dealer admitted they’d done a £35 per wheel cosmetic resort and it lasted six months. If it was used I’d be asking the selling dealer because they should have a record of all the preparation costs it took to put the car on sale. My guess is that they’d pay up, certainly if it a Franchised sale.

Last edited by BlackDog on 19th Mar 2019 12:09 am. Edited 1 time in total

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Craigp
    England 

Yes bought new just short of 2 years ago.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Then it’s a warranty claim. They should last unless they are being cleaned with acid, like wonder wheels. Good luck Thumbs Up

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks for that. I have my 2nd service coming up i will get them to have a look. The problem is its not just one wheel or in a specific place. Never been cleaned in anything but soap and water.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

I had a friend who had a bubbling problem with a new Lexus and ended up with two new sets of alloys. LR should sort this without an issue and as you bought new then the dealer will be able to look to the Manufacturer for assistance.

Hse Lux SDV6
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Had it with one of my D4s was 2.5 years old and 30k on the clock. Landrover replaced all 4 wheels without batting an eyelid.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • RiverBlanche
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    is this on "diamond cut" wheels or the painted surface ?

understand wheel refurb companies will warranty painted surface for 12 months but diamond cut wheels only for 6 months as prone to this issue.

As said above ^ if still under manufacturers warranty and not been "touched up/refurbed" by the dealer then its a warranty New set.

Thumbs Up
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

I didn't know it was a problem with the diamond cut alloys. Thought it was just the painted ones. Bow down

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Craigp
    England 

No definitely not diamond cut. Just a a rough casting. Laughing
  • Craigp
    England 

So i took it in for a service and asked them to have a look at my alloys. Didn't see the guy as he had gone home. The message back not covered by warranty caused by stone chips. Each wheel has about 6 or 7 of these blisters them. Certainly doesn't look like stone chip damage to me look to be corrosion under the paint. I am going to see him again next week. Thought please.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

SWMBO's Ewok wheels did this. They were replaced under warranty. However, the replacement wheels have started again but now the car is over 3 years old, the warranty has expired and even though the wheels are much younger they were only covered by the warranty until it expired on the rest of the car.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Craigp
    England 

Update on this.
    Alloys replaced under warranty. Although they did give me a shock, on removing the tyres one was damaged it had a cut, down to the steel band (it was still holding pressure) quoted £250 for new tyre. I took it to my local tyre fitter who fitted a patch £12.50. Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum