Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• gray1731
    United Kingdom 

Side Steps

Good morning!

I’ve been thinking of putting side steps on my 2017 Discovery… Has anyone fitted aftermarket OE style ones? Looks like I can buy a set for around £170. Would be keen to hear about your experiences.

Thanks

Dan
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I bought the ones from https://www.sidesteps.co.uk/

I have fitted them to 3 cars now and are better than the JLR ones,.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Me too.

I’d avoid el cheepo ones like the plague. The LR ones are crud too.
  • JBFUK
    United Kingdom 

Notice any increase in cabin noise with the steps fitted? Particularly in relation to motorway driving?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No.
  • DamoH
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    I bought the ones from https://www.sidesteps.co.uk/

I have fitted them to 3 cars now and are better than the JLR ones,.

I’ve also been looking at these, they look pretty good. How do you find them now that you’ve had them on a while? Also.. Were these easy to fit because I’ve heard some side steps are a faff to fit and require cutting of some trim on the discovery?
    I was hoping to just lift the ride height and fit them on the drive if the disco has pre drilled and tapped holes. 👍🏻
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Great, no corrosion. The bottoms are coated in some sort of black rubber. No drilling or cutting required and I fitted them on the driveway.
  • Craigp
    England 

The only issue I had was removing the underfloor covering. Ended up with a few scrapped knuckles. I've seen on YouTube videos where they just use a hole saw to gain access to the pre drilled and threaded locating bolts. The ones I've had for over 3 years have been great but sadly they don't appear to be available now. I will probably be removing them soon as new car coming in October. I'm assuming it will have the same bolt pattern.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have the ones from sidesteps uk and there is no drilling, cutting, trim removal required at all.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Out of interest, as it's something I've never even considered for my D4 or D5... why would you want side steps? Who are they aimed at? I'm 6ft 3" and don't need a leg up, my wife is 5ft 4" and as long as I don't have the suspension raised, she gets in fine too. And I've had kids from the age of 0 since we had a Disco, and ever since they were walking they could climb in/out ok.

What am I missing?

I did once have to ferry an elderly family friend, but we managed, with a shove, to get her up & in! Is that the target market?! Laughing

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I am 6’ and use them to get in the car. I could hop up, but don’t. I just find it easier. Quite like the fact if I use the supermarket car park, I can put the suspension up and then side steps save people opening doors on you etc.
  • DamoH
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies all, the “sidesteps.uk” look the best all rounder for quality and ease of fitting.
    I’ve had 4x4’s with and without side steps and I like them for many reasons, a few being.. they offer great protection in car parks and I tend to find the seat bolsters stay newer for longer because when getting in and out of the car with steps you step up and sit down onto the seat whereas without steps you tend to slide across the seat. Also they keep the mud off your trouser legs when getting in and out if you step on them.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Darras wrote:
    I am 6’ and use them to get in the car. I could hop up, but don’t. I just find it easier. Quite like the fact if I use the supermarket car park, I can put the suspension up and then side steps save people opening doors on you etc.

Intriguing.... I'll have to find one and see what difference it makes!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Craigp
    England 

The benefits of getting in and out with them are not apparent on a couple of tries but once mastered are great. Having said that on the odd occasion the wife drives and I get in the passenger side I get in a right old mess with which leg to lead with first. But that could be down to the reason the wife's driving Rolling Eyes
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

If I am wanting a laugh I sneak the suspension into extended mode just before dropping SWMBO off and watch her stumble out of the car, works every time. Needless to say she doesn’t appreciate my SOH. Rolling with laughter
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum