Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Brexit?37 Votes
    No-deal 37%/14
    May’s Deal 10%/4
    Remain 51%/19
  • CHG
    United Kingdom 

True, but it should still work without the need for a hard boarder......?
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I absolutely agree with you and so do most of the Agencies that have been consulted but the problem is that the EU will not renegotiate this point, that was agreed with May in talks that the cabinet were unaware of until after the agreement was drawn up and delivered as a final document. And at the same time she had a Leaver Brexit Secretary who was trying to negotiate a separate vision because she had not told him that Ollie Robins was doing the May one behind David Davis's back.

The biggest problem as I see it is that we have a PM who is genuinely trying to bring about her vision of what she as a remainer believes Brexit looks like and she's miles away from the the grass root vision. For her she believes that Freedom of Movement is the big red line when for very many who voted to leave there were other far more important issues that needed to be championed. To get a handle on this just look above at the fact that only 10% of those asked so far would have the May deal.

And as for the position of the EU to me it's clear that they want to inflict pain upon us and thereby dissuade others from going down the same route. I'd have wanted a good free trade deal but the truth is if the other side act like arses then you have to be prepared to walk away.

Hse Lux SDV6
  • CHG
    United Kingdom 

So annoying especially when you see various Cabinet members being conveyed in Discovery 4 examples (even Boris!!!). And they seem quite happy to potentially allow the model to vanish from the sales lists in the UK due to the increased cost & supply issues that will almost certainly happen in the event of a no-deal.

And all this in the Discovery’s 30th anniversary year, too....

I wish JLR would bring back the UK models to Solihull or somewhere but even at that I don’t suppose the JIT systems would be able to cope in a no-deal scenario......
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If the EU was a golf club then certain members aren’t paying their fees and expecting the rest of us to pay for them to play ,buying their golf clubs, balls and buggy hire 🤬
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

BlackDog, my apologies for scan reading some posts this morning as I am short of time.

Reading your post on the possible second referendum, I have some sympathy with the view that if it only presents a watered down brexit then that may put off some hardline leavers. But what if that is the reality - that some leavers really did not understand what may be lost (or gained) by leaving.

What would be wrong with a ballot of No Deal, defined deal, remain. Remain only wins if > 50%, If No Deal and Defined Deal total 50.001 % or more then the one with greater votes is the winner.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

Sound like a referendum but we've had one of those and Leave won, not that you'd know that from looking at the Parliamentary mindset. I'm a person who has always done politics. Had many meetings with parliamentarians both inside and outside the House of Commons and for my part I honestly knew what I was voting for. May I ask you how do you think you'd feel if Remain won and three years later we told you that you didn't know what you were doing and you should keep voting until you lost? I'm not meaning to be argumentative but what is being suggested is against democracy. It does not make it stronger as the liberal left will tell you; it undermines the very principle and will cause fractures in society and the political process.

In fact when Cameron began campaigning I was surprised how even handed the media were initially treating the contest but that's because they honestly believed that it was in the bag. And so did I at that point, although it did change soon after. However, on the Monday afternoon before the vote I was sat down having lunch and watching the news when "Breaking News" came in from Number 10 and they interrupted the the schedule to go straight to Downing Street. Cameron and Osbourne came out and made this rallying call to Vote Remain. At that point I turned to my wife and said that on the Monday Morning Downing Street would be given an idea of the level of postal votes that had come in over the month and I knew what that meant. I went straight to the bookies (I'm no gambler honest) and had a hundred pounds on at 6/1.

That said, I accept that we know even more now and I can understand the clamour for a second vote but my gripe has always been the one sided reporting both before the first referendum and even more intensively since it. Look at the BBC or Sky News for instance and if you were not in the opposite camp then you may ask why so many contributors are for the pro remain side and there is a desire to tar anyone on the Leave side as Loony Tunes. The imbalance is actually quite stark and in the BBC's case contrary to the rules of the Charter but then again they are funded by the EU grant. And even so, despite all of this Leave is still not a lost cause. Where would you imagine the polling would be with balanced reporting? Even in these pages people are reporting as fact that LR have moved because of Brexit, when the truth is that the decision to move was taken before it was decided to hold a referendum and was a purely financial decision because Slovakia gave a huge cash incentive and was investigated under anti-competition rules by the EU.

For my part I'd actually prefer to remain in the EU, rather than take a remainers vision of what Brexit looks like because all that Mrs. May has done is upset both sides. Not because she has intended to but because she doesn't know any better. She was a dreadful Home Secretary and I believe that history will show her to be one of the worst Prime Ministers in our history. I appreciate that we don't know one another but I am not like the media would wish to characture me.

PS Portofino in a great colour for a D5 Thumbs Up

Hse Lux SDV6
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 

CHG wrote:
    Agreed, this is now such a mess that who knows what’s going to happen. But personally I’m damned if I am going to pay any extra tariffs on what is already an overpriced vehicle. My fear is that sales of the D5 will evaporate still further in the UK.

How the tables have turned. A short while back you couldn’t get a D5 at a sensible price in some other countries such as the Republic of Ireland, but now, since the production move to Slovakia, prices have dropped there, the Commercial which is now the same as the UK variant, is under €50k. It was over €60k last year.

So the rest of Europe is getting their D5’s cheaper whilst we in the UK could be forced, against our will, to pay a hefty additional premium for our favourite vehicle.

Not good.

The USA does not have a free trade deal with the EU, so have you ever wondered why buying a D5 in the US is so much cheaper than buying in the UK or the EU?

Hse Lux SDV6
  • CHG
    United Kingdom 

I would imagine that JLR are going to be forced to drastically reduce their prices in the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit. They must be making far more vehicles every year now in the new factory so if they sell more globally (eventually) they could afford to reduce prices locally??

What are the projected production numbers for the D5 this year in Slovakia?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum