Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

First 500 mile niggles

Before this sounds like just a rant, I need to say the car is just fantastic to drive - absolutely no quibbles with that. I am still trying to find my way around the various features so some of this may be me rather than the car:

1. Cannot get the car to find any contacts on my Android phone. It connects and makes calls OK, but can't find any contacts. They are all stored as Google contacts on my phone. And the LR phone compatibility webpage is not working. When first paired, there is a prompt on the phone from the car asking if I will share contacts, but pressing OK makes no difference. I have unpaired and repaired with the same result

2. Sometimes the media centre will let me browse the playlist on my phone, sometimes the option is not there at all. Sometimes the 'playing now' panel freezes on a track. All a bit random.

3. It does not recognise playlist files off the USB drive, and if I look in the queue it shortens the number of tracks from 2800+ to 64 (probably one playlist?) but I don't know how to get back to all 2800 to, for example, shuffle those. Would prefer the playlist option, though. And the USB gets really hot.

4. SatNav screen and interface is great, but the old Achilles heal of dodgy directions remains

5. Usual intermittent success with the gesture boot opening. Have also gone through a patch of it only opening part way through either the fob button or the tailgate button. And the flap refused to fold away once

6. Not sure how useful some of the gimmicky things actually are. The self parking does so a mile from the kerb, and the adaptive cruise control struggles with the concept of lane changing

Does anyone have any answers to number (1)? This is particularly annoying as I cannot make calls when travelling. TIA

Last edited by chaos_theory on 31st Mar 2019 9:02 am. Edited 1 time in total

Andrew
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Sympathies, it must be annoying, surprising as it seems, I don’t use a mobile phone nor music or satnav.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I appreciate that this may sound rather basic but have you tried removing and then re-installing the phone and in terms of gesture tailgateI find that you do need to be at the side, rather than behind the car.

As for the SatNav, I haven't used it so far but I'm sure it will be like all the other LR cars I've had recently and insist on taking me fifty miles out of my way for a six or seven mile journey as it always does when travelling between Grassington and Malham in the Dales Whistle

Hse Lux SDV6
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Ha ha, yes I expect nothing less from the Satnav! I think I have achieved a 75% rate with the gesture tailgate. The missing 25% is always when you most need it, of course.

Yes, I have removed all phone pairings and tried again with the same result. Not sure if it's a phone compatibility issue (Moto/Lenovo G5s Plus) or Google Contacts

Andrew
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Dependant on the phone / car system compatibility, some cars only display contacts that are stored in the phone handset memory. Have had that a couple of times. You could try creating a fictitious contact in phone memory and see if that displays in the car? Would give an indication either way.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If you have the smartphone pack, try the Waze app for navigation - better than any manufacturer system.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I have Waze, but Android Auto is currently displayed in at an awful resolution - not managed to address that yet.

Contacts issue seems to be a phone compatibility thing, as my wife's Samsung transfers contacts with no problem. I don't understand why this isn't Android release related rather than phone-based compatibility; I thought that was the point of the Android platform? My phone transfers contacts to my BMW MINI without issue.

Andrew
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

welcome to LandRover, on the plus side you will be able to drive across the Grand Canyon, these cars are mechanically superb however the electronics are close to a 1978 Fiat, sorry thats unfair, a 1977 Citroen.

The User Interface for Apple / Android is desperate, causing system freezes, drop outs and everything else. I had a Volvo XC90 before, just as terrible but you didn't need to plug the phone in to use Spotify etc it was an app built in. Speaking of Apps the In Control Live apps are from that 1978 Fiat, atrocious !

On my Disco the contacts start at C then F the A ! There is no favorites so you have to scroll on and on and on ....

The Sat Nav I find pretty good, especially the remote bit where you can send your destination to the car, but yes the routes are side roads sometimes.

The previous Software update 18D (so that's at least 18 attempts to get it right) was dreadful so 19A is now available, I am having it done next week, I am sceptical but I will give them one chance or I will reject.

To cheer you up, mine since new has had

Loose trim
    poor heated seats,
    leaking aircon,
    the park heat fob has never worked,
    dim lights,
    dreadful infotainment,
    AEB not functioning,
    AUTO park need a Grand Canyon space to park.,
    battery warnings,

All after all I was given a lovely leather bound booklet with a tick against all the the things telling me how they had checked everything...breach of the sale of goods act definitely.

Will give them one chance or I will have my £60K back please..

Happy motoring... Laughing Laughing

2019 HSE LUX
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

chaos_theory wrote:
    Yeah, I have Waze, but Android Auto is currently displayed in at an awful resolution - not managed to address that yet.

enable the Developer options in settings and then ensure both 720p and 1080p are selected.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Browser wrote:
    welcome to LandRover,

Happy motoring... Laughing Laughing

In fairness, I am already missing the random bongs from my D3.

DieselRanger wrote:
    enable the Developer options in settings and then ensure both 720p and 1080p are selected.

Will try that, thanks.

Andrew
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Yep, phone incompatible FFS.

Andrew
  • petet
    United Kingdom 

I had the phone contacts problem with an android phone, after a software update on the car meant I had pair it again. Turned out (eventually) to be a simple settings thing in Android - 'sharing contacts'! For some reason the default tick box on my phone was not to share. Ticked the box and phone contacts on car magically restored. Find it on phone in settings - connected devices - previously connected devices - landrover discovery settings, change the setting for contact sharing.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Awesome. Thanks very much - you are right, it is buried in the settings of the paired device, only accessible when the device is connected. 3 boxes ticked to share and the contacts one not...

Give yourself a gold star. Bow down

Andrew
  • petet
    United Kingdom 

Glad I could solve one of your 'niggles' - still looking to sort my niggle of car 'stuck' 2 miles away (s far as the journey planner is concerned) where I parked it a month ago!
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Is the Remote app showing the same location?

Andrew
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum