Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Ultra Wideband key software update

Hi,

Has anyone with an 2018 or new car been called up to have a free software update to stop the relay attacks.

See here is you are not sure what I mean.

&ab_channel=ChallengeTheRoad

You need an Ultra wideband key so only car 2018 or newer.

HSE Lux, MY18, Silicon silver 3.0d
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Yes, on multiple threads if you search.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Still waiting for my letter!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

What Model Year do you have and did you buy it direct from a JLR dealer?

2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Mine is 2018 not from main dealer but serviced at main dealer. Unless they’ve done it when it’s in but it’s never been mentioned.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I would call the dealer as I doubt you are going to get a letter as JLR will be unaware that you own it.
    The letter will go to the only name they have and that would be the original owner.

As it's not a recall they do not have access to the DVLA info, a lot of Sport owners have reported this issue.

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks will make sure I mention on the next visit,
  • highbridgeflyer
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Indus Silver

2019 HSE, and the update is being done this coming Friday. I had to get pro active and rang the dealer as they still had the previous owner listed on their records and not me. Mine is also having a software update for the Auto High Beam Assist too.
    As said, ring your local dealer to get booked in. As it's not classed as a safety issue, as others have said JLR can't access the DVLA database.
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Will do.

What the HBA? More reactive instead of blinding oncoming traffic?!
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Sorry I'm a bit late to this...

I think there's a fair bit of confusion here. As I understand it, the software update is purely for the Body Control Module (BCM) which has a bit of a vulnerability that allows thieves to start the car if they can gain access to the cars CanBus. This is why you see pictures of Range Rovers with holes cut out of their tailgates as it's one of the easiest ways to get to some CanBus wires. This is regardless of your key type, UWB or otherwise.

UWB keys, in combination with the BCM update, should in theory make the car much harder to steal. Land Rover have said on record that they have seen no incidents of key relay theft when the car has UWB keys. This is as I understand it because the UWB system is able to accurately determine key distance, even when relayed and refuses to work if it's too far away, which it always is when doing a relay.

If you don't have UWB keys, then your car, even with the BCM update, is still vulnerable to relay attack, as are many other makes with earlier keyless systems. Your only defence against this is some kind of faraday pouch/box. The BCM update though will stop the direct CanBus attack.

What's not clear is what cars got UWB when. If Land Rover are correct and the older rounder key fob with the large removable silver cover is the non-UWB key, and the squarer one is the UWB version then it would appear trawling the iGuides that UWB was introduced in:

Discovery Sport MY2020 facelift onwards
    Discovery 5 MY2018 onwards
    Range Rover Evoque MY2020 2nd gen onwards
    Range Rover Velar MY2021 onwards
    Range Rover Sport MY2018 onwards
    Range Rover MY2018 onwards
    New Defender - All years.

I'm not aware of any plans from Land Rover to upgrade cars from non-UWB to UWB keys. That requires a lot of hardware changes.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

The thieves will no doubt have this list. But I suspect there are not many pre 2018 Discoveries on the organised car thieves shopping list so JLR would have little impetuous to carry out redundancy work.
  • spoon63
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Loire Blue

Just had the the N862 Theft Mitigation SW update (Phase 4) done when my 2018 Disco SE was in for service. As expected both keys required. No obvious difference that I am aware off. Was led to believe that Landrover Assist can perform the update.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

The plot thickens, I've just had a letter for Security Update N863 ....

Is this new or are 2023 vehicles also impacted and not just 2022 and earlier as previously claimed by JLR?
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

It is amazing… I have 3 LR vehicles, and have not had anything because I am outside of the Uk.

JLRCS for BELUX don’t know anything about it and can’t assist!!

Are they going to deal with EU vehicles?
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

MY23.5 car here, came home to the recall letter. My dealer can be really slow, so took up the option of calling LR Assist as it said they can also carry out the work.

Phoned at 1850hrs, call answered straight away. Gave my details, and was told someone would call me back within five days to make a booking. Went and got on with reading the kids their stories, and didn't spot an SMS come in saying "We are on our way". At 20:15hrs, doorbell rings, and LR Assist are on the driveway, ready to perform the upgrade.

Took the guy 20 mins.

I hadn't been expecting a recall for a MY23.5, but he said LR are adding as much security as they possibly can to every model.

As for the speed of service, I was seriously impressed!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum