Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Bodywork repair advise

Last weekend I managed to let a gate hit my NS front and rear doors. Censored

The damage to each door is a dent the size of a .50p and an inch long scratch.

Took the car to the LR dealer who quoted £1600!! 5 days and said the rear panel, two doors and front wing needed to be sprayed to ensure colour matching. After the chest pains abated, a mate suggested Chipsaway.

Got a quote, two days in their bodywork shop, £498.00 including a loan car to boot. Fully guaranteed.

Can anyone share their experience with this lot https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/ please?

I want to make the right choice.

HSE Lux, MY18, Silicon silver 3.0d
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Think I’d be letting the insurance deal with it. That’s what you pay them for.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

My boot lid has been keyed across the whole width this week Censored

Just looking at chips away or auto glass body repair myself. Insurance excess probably isn’t worth going through them and having the whole boot panel done.

I used chips away a few years ago and it was a very good repair. Managed to scrape a Volvo V50 front bumper on a stone post a few days before it was being traded in... I didn’t have high expectations but it was well blended and very difficult to spot. Can’t comment on its longevity as it went a week later, and nobody noticed...!

Jon
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

StinTov.
    I believe chipsaway is a franchise network. therefor there may be differences in the finished job,dependent upon where you have the work done. (different operatives, different skills) That doesn't mean you won't get a good repair,
    we used to have a 'man in a van' nearby who did fantastic work, literally you couldn't see the join. but there are also VBRA repairers here that I wouldn't let spray a bicycle frame.
    I can only suggest you try to view vehicles that have been repaired and make your own mind up.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I used chips away on my D4 for a scratch on the rear bumper and they were great

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

got a "ding" in the front bumper

any ideas on how repairable it is?

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Ouch, however I gave up worrying about dink’s and bumps, annoying tho they are. The car is meant to be driven, if it picks up the odd scar, despite best intentions, so be it.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I tend to agree

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • StinTov
    United Kingdom 

So, an update. I called my insurance company who said the accidental damage excess is £400 on my policy, this isn’t the same as the normal excess apparently. Censored They also said a claim will bump up the premium next year. I’ve gone for Chipsaway in the end, £490
    I’ll let you know how I get on.

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Oh, right, seems strange. I think I’d be looking for a new insurance company next time. My voluntary and compulsory excess is £150.
  • StinTov
    United Kingdom 

Same this way, but this is an accidental damage excess which I didn't know existed!

• NightFox
    United Kingdom 

I'd be wary of asking my insurance company any questions about potentially claiming - even if you decide not to make a claim based on their response, simply admitting to them that something covered by your policy has occurred (whether your fault or not) can still be recorded and affect your premium.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Sintov.. Because your insurance company now know you've had a bump, expect a premium hike next year, even though you haven't claimed.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • StinTov
    United Kingdom 

It’s up for renewal next month, and I’ll vote with my feet Thumbs Up

• NightFox
    United Kingdom 

Trouble is if you switch to another provider they will generally still refer to the shared insurer's database which your current insurer might have recorded your "incident" on.

Also, whereas insurers used to ask if you'd made a claim in the last xx years, they now often ask if you've had an accident or suffered any damage (whether a claim was made or not) - you're then having to play dumb if you say 'no' but that's at odds with what's shown in the insurer's database.

That's all a worst case scenario though - hopefully and most likely your renewal will just come through unaffected - the takeaway is never let you insurance company know anything you're not obliged to tell them! Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum