Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

New battery goes flat…

I replaced the battery in my 2017 LUX. In a couple days the battery goes flat despite being double locked.
    I live in a signal poor, cold area. The 2017 used 3G not 4G.
    The LR Remote app shows ‘Driving’ which never goes away. Is the telematics running the battery down? How do I shut it off?
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Can’t help much but if it is a 2017, then it cannot use 4G as the telematics module doesn’t support more than 3G
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Is there a possibility you have to code a new battery to the car? Only mentioning as I had to do this for my MINI with AGM battery.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

The battery is not "coded" to the vehicle like an ECU.

If you replace a worn out battery with a good one, you should tell the car that you have a new battery because this way the smart alternator doesn't try to overcharge it (and consequently kill a new battery)

If you replace a good battery with a other good battery (don't like the make or some reason like that rather than because the battery has a problem) then you wouldn't have to reset the BMS.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I didn’t know that.

It seems a bit bizarre that a battery management system which is designed to check the state of the attached battery and adjust charge accordingly should not do it before wacking its last remembered setting through it? The mysteries of JLR software.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

If I have understood correctly, the BMS remembers the "current" status of the battery, and tries to optimise the charge for THAT battery.

If you then put in a new battery that is in perfect condition, the BMS won't know that you have just put in a new battery, and will try to use the "old" charging profile that is has stored.

Sadly, this can cause issues with your new battery.

Having said this... I believe that ALL cars work like this now.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

My understanding was that the BMS adjusted according to the needs of the battery.

Although it is recommended to tell the BMS about a new battery it would it quickly adjust in the same way as it does on a day to day basis.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Ronbo
    United States 

New battery

I replaced the battery two years ago since it stop holding a charge (the air temp here goes below zero F in the winter). It was a simple swap and had been working fine up to now when temperatures drop.

The new fully charged battery was installed, then 2 days later it went flat. I’m monitoring the charge and it appears to remain above 12+volts for the time being.

My concern is there is some parasitic drain despite double locking.
    As mentioned, the LR Remote app shows “Driving” continuously.
    Is the telematics draining the battery? The cell signal is very weak, only 1 bar and the 2017 Discovery is 3G not 4G.
    How to stop it?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

The signal strength will only mean that the app may or may not be able to talk to the car and the car to the cloud.

If it says updated in the last few minutes at the top of the screen then what ever it is indicating is what the car is returning to the cloud.

If that is the case then you have a fault if it is indicating driving?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • JulianB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Could someone clarify what the difference between single locking and double button locking is, with respect to battery drain. I've typically only been single locking my disco, and have experienced battery draining issues.
  • Ronbo
    United States 

Remote app continues to indicate ‘driving’
    and ‘vehicle in use’.
    Although other parameters are updated: temperature, mileage
    Possibility is my 2017 doesn’t operate with 4G, only 3G.

I need to shut off the telematics to see if that’s what’s draining the battery.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

There is a fault that had a recall for some vehicles where there's a bad ground/earth terminal somewhere in the system, and this causes the battery to drain. You might have a dealer take a look at that issue.

As for the app, I've had that occasionally - even in good signal areas it sometimes takes several minutes to update. Where it fails to do so, I will force-stop the app, clear the cache, and then restart the app; sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you're parked at home, try connecting the car to your home wifi if you are parked close enough.
  • Ronbo
    United States 

Battery

Thanks dieselranger

The earth ground looks good.
    I’ve unsubscribed to LR telematics, it was showing continuously driving and not allowing me to lock the car while parked at my signal poor house. Being a 2017 it’s 2G/3G not 4G/5G. , I’m guessing, this runs down the battery overnight.

Thus far the battery seems to be holding its charge.

I’ve also rigged a solar panel to ‘condition’ the battery which I’m finding is another word for charging.
    Hope this solves the problem.

Next problem is maintaining the top of windshield seal with sealant as no one in Maine has the ability to reseal or provide a replacement windshield in a reasonable time.

Thanks all
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum