Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Extended warranty....

Thinking (and saving!) ahead, my D5 will be out of warranty next March. I am sure JLR will be offering extended warranties. Does anyone have a clue as to what this may cost?

Cheers

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Thanks! Didn't even think that this would be a web page! Embarassed . Banging Head

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • UrbanSplash
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Silicon Silver

It’s an absolute fortune to extend the warranty. I complained to JLR about it. Shows how much faith they have in their products. I might offload when the warranty is up. Not decided yet
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

That’s not entirely fair, when you consider that the warranty on an equivalent, such as an Audi Q5, or Q7, will run out at 60,000 miles (in year 3) and they won’t offer any cover at all beyond year 5 and 95,000 miles. By way of comparison, LR offer unlimited mileage to the third year and the extend to 10 years and 100,000 miles. I’ve yet to hear of anyone complain about Audi’s lack of “faith in their product”.

In terms of cost, the Land Rover branded scheme works out quite a bit cheaper than Warranty Direct for me. WD would charge me £2,636 pa for the nearest equivalent to the LR policy, which LR charge out at £1,060 pa Shocked
  • UrbanSplash
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Silicon Silver

£1000 pa is still obscene
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

It’s a lot of money, although these cars were never sold on the basis that they were cheap to buy, service or repair. There is a vast amount of breathtakingly expensive to repair / replace components in them and we know the bills can be very large when they fail. Neither we, nor LR, are charities and if we’d wanted something that was cheap to service and maintain, I’d certainly have been better off with a Fiesta Wink better off, but miserable! Laughing
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

At the end of 3 years you’re going to know if you’ve got a good un or a Lemon.

I’d save the cash and take my chance, so long as it regularly serviced by a main dealership then if something major goes wrong, there’s a chance of a LR contribution to the repair.

I’ve done this with all my LRs over the years. A D4 I had required a gearbox repair at £1,500. LRCS paid for the repair despite the car being just over 3 years old at the time. If they don’t, okay it will make a dent in the bank balance, but that’s life.

Warranty firms work on the basis of making a profit, so statistically you are going to pay out more than you claim.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

What's not evident is any kind of concession for having a service plan. Like most, I have a 5 year plan. Having committed to dealer maintenance, the risk of a warranty claim must be somewhat reduced. Proper servicing should enable many potential warranty issues to be spotted before they become an issue. Having said that, I had two warranty claims in March. one for a rear door catch that failed and a the door flew open and one for a massive leak in the windscreen that caused water to flood in when snow melted or it rained. Both of these required LR Assist (a brilliant service). If these issues had happened next year, I would have been in hock for many hundreds of pounds.

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

It’s all about chance and affordability if the worse happens.

Horses for courses. It’s not something that will keep me awake personally, hence my blasé attitude.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I had the LR extended warranty on my D4 for the last 3.5 years that I had it. It was over £1000 per year but that included LR assist, up to £750 of MOT failure cover etc.

I certainly got my money's worth out of it, including a new compressor, both inlet manifolds replaced, new brake pipes, suspension arms, a couple of door locks and a few other bits. It also includes a hire car (usually a RRS) if yours is off the road for a warranty job.

If you do a reasonable mileage and depend on the car for work (which I do) then I'd keep it covered with the warranty.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I pick my 67 plate HSE Lux up on Saturday. Made them add 2 years extra EW to the 2 years we get for buying a used car, so I have 4 years, the length we are planning to keep it. Cannot believe the GFV in 4 years at 11k a year is £18k.... as if. D4's with more mileage on 13 plates are about that....

If I couldn't have got 4 years EW I wouldn't have bought it.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum