Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Towbar nosewieght accuracy ?

Folks. Have any of you looked at or used the trailer nosewieght function from the screen features. I have towed a couple of times now but this morning was the first time I had used this feature. I was somewhat shocked that it thought my van’s nosewieght was between 135 and 165 kg. When we checked with my milenco calibrated nosewieght gauge that said it was 90kg. A bit of a difference. I am going to weigh myself and go and stand on the tow ball to see what it thinks I weigh.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Craigp
    England 

Did you lift the car to normal height when you did the check?
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

yep

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Its been reported before and from memory the general rule was it was on average 25KG out, hence about as much use a chocolate tea pot Smile Smile

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • RiverBlanche
    United Kingdom 

You can always "eat" a chocolate teapot Cool

so at least it will be of use Once Thumbs Up
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

and with a 30kg range, its still largely useless anyway.

On the bais you also have the deployable, do you have any issues with it not locking on deployment? Mine has a 50% hit rate, dealer told me it's because I am deploying without the engine running and the towbar takes a large current to lock it, so I should only deploy with engine running, then switch off and hook up and use the bulb test then restart engine.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Craigp
    England 

Fingers crossed but not had any problems with mine. Usually deploy when engine stopped. I recently had a software update for the towbar think it was for a reported fault of deploying on its own but could be wrong. All i can remember is thinking i dont suffer from what it fixes Laughing
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I had no issues before the Jan 2019 software update when they also put the rubber lip around the buttons.

Typical LR, update and break things that worked then tell you your using the car incorrectly

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Craigp
    England 

I had the switch surround ages ago. This upgrade was in the last month or two certainly no longer.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Ah ok, nothing listed for my car currently. See how ot goes between now and annual service in July.

• al cope
    United Kingdom 

dont want to tempt fate, but no issues with mine so far, and operated it with engine off

Al

• MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

mordred1973 wrote:
    and with a 30kg range, its still largely useless anyway.

On the bais you also have the deployable, do you have any issues with it not locking on deployment? Mine has a 50% hit rate, dealer told me it's because I am deploying without the engine running and the towbar takes a large current to lock it, so I should only deploy with engine running, then switch off and hook up and use the bulb test then restart engine.

You shouldnt have to deploy it while the engine is running. There is no official statement such as that. Yes when the engine is running the motors will get more Voltage as it will be higher with alternator running but tow bar is designed to work with engine ON or OFF. If yours is under warranty I would seriously suggest getting your dealer the check it out and if needed replace the towbar unit. It may be that there is a mechanical issue/wear on the tow bar.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

I will be using it this weekend so will see what my hit rate is. Dealer as usual trying to get out of sorting things (i assumed it would record when it doesnt deploy properly but they tell me the car doesnt record that)

Wishing i had a normal removeable one now...

• MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

It will have a record of failed attempts to deploy/lock etc counted within the electronics. The dealer may not be able to get access to this information but LR certainly will be able to read them if they send the unit back to LR if the towbar is having issues. Generally the dealer appear to replace the hardware if they were having issues so cant understand why they are trying to dodge this.
  • Jevs
    United Kingdom 

Hi,

tried the gauge for the first time. Had to be 100% level, Then had to calibrate it, by unhitching the van, stow the towbar and redeploy....but the van was sensed too close to the car and the deployment failed...had to move car....then deploy....then re-hitch....... !!

Since then, it has been widely inaccurate , mine is about 90kg with 2 other gauges, The Disco says 135Kg range.

Great feature in the brochure, but practically useless.

I think Tow Reverse Assist will be same....I don't have a vertical surface to my van on which to mount the intrusive triangular label so I am making a jig. (It is still not clear to me whether once you calibrate the outfit you can remove the sticker).

I don't intend to put an ugly great sticker permanently on the front of my Swift Elegance. ....I'll give it a try at my next outing (once I can find somewhere to park safely, and do all reversing to calibrate).

J.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum