Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• CommanderB
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 First Edition Farallon Black

Phone Mount?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a phone mount so that the phone can be seen while driving, used for navigation etc.

In my LR4 I have a vent mount which works well, but the new fancy screen gets obscured when doing the same in the Disco 5. The little cubby under the climate controls looks ideal, maybe something that anchors in the 12V socket there, but I have not been able to find any decent products.

Any suggestions on specific products? Or what are others doing? (Or am I a Luddite who should embrace InControl?)
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I use the sat nav with no issues have found it very good here i UK and in Europe

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

+1

The sat nav is far superior to the old system.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Also looking at phone mounts. My usual go to make Brodit don't appear to have developed one yet and as said above, a vent mount is not ideal.

Use mine with the TomTom app or Waze (sometimes) so would be good to get speed cameras and proper live traffic and re-routing. Does the Navigation Pro in the HSE cover these? Anyone compared the routing to TomTom?

The DSport standard Nav is useless and plans routes via single track lanes out of preference to actual normal roads.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do you not have InControl Pro in your HSE?

It certainly shows speed cameras and live traffic if you have a sim card installed.

Updates are every 3 months and the next is due in a few days on the 15th.
  • CommanderB
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 First Edition Farallon Black

In the US the navigation is okay. Its better than in previous models, the traffic (requires carrier service) is pretty good. But Waze is the only way to navigate and be aware of hazards on the road IMHO.

Unable to find a suitable mount I 'made' my own by 'gluing' a vent mount to a 12V socket USB. Charging gubbins removed a couple of cuts and then using Sugru to glue the two parts together.

Its stable and works well, the only downside is that it is low and needs a glance down.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    Do you not have InControl Pro in your HSE?

It certainly shows speed cameras and live traffic if you have a sim card installed.

Updates are every 3 months and the next is due in a few days on the 15th.

Not yet. Hopefully by end of next week. Good to know it has live traffic and speed cameras.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • NicSymonds
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Here's my solution
    I did quite a bit searching to try and find a solution that I was happy with, wasn’t a permanent fix to the dashboard and wouldn’t cost a fortune.

I eventually went for a Baseus Universal Air Vent Phone Holder bought off eBay. Seems to work ok so far. It’s magnetic, so involved fixing a metal plate to the phone.

2017 HSE Luxury
    (2012 D4 HSE, 2006 D3 SE, 2001 D2 ES)
  • Ed Snow
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Having seen this thread I rushed off and got myself a mag mount all ready for my D5. Don’t pick it up until after Christmas so fitted it in my D4. Looks great and does the job of holding my phone, but leaves me wondering why I need it? In my D4 ive always left it in my pocket. Will there be special apps that I want to use whilst driving that are unique to the D5 that the D4 just didn’t??

All the gear and no idea 🙄
  • Arslanoff
    Czech Republic 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I also use a vent holder. I have ordered one with wireless charging, but it takes long till you get one from Ali. So have no idea if it works or not.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Baseus-Car...0.0.ewgdUo

Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE Luxury Td6 in Carpathian Grey
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Brodit Mount 655310

Finally !

Brodit have a mount for their phone holders for the D5 - These are the best I've used and have had them in every LR I've owned.

https://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=655...;year=2017

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I agree Brodit have made some really good mounts but it took them so long to make a mount for the D5 that I made my own.
    I took the Brodit gimbal and actual phone cradle from my previous D4 installation and just made a bracket from 1.5mm aluminium which clips into the recess for the fake wood trim. I’ve covered my bracket in black duct tape so it is in keeping with the gimble, plus protects against any sharp edges (which I had filed round) and it works great.
    I bought the 50mm x 1.6mm aluminium strip from B&Q and only needed to make one cut and a couple of folds, easy!

I’m amazed they Brodit didn’t do something like my mount rather than the lame vent adaptor.

• simonh
    United Kingdom 

That looks like a great solution Al. Fancy making another? Thumbs Up

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Big Al
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

It’s incredibly simple to do, especially if you buy strip Aluminium at 50mm wide x 1.5mm thickness. I believe you buy it in 300mm strips.

See the photo of the bracket where you can see the bends.
    The lengths between bends are as follows:

10mm
    55mm
    65mm
    65mm

( If making a 2nd version I would add a further 10mm and bend it back to double up the thickness for the insertion into the top trim
    Interface)

Last edited by Big Al on 22nd Dec 2017 5:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

Thanks but I’m not the best DIY’er Rolling with laughter

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum