Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Tarty wheels and snow chains

Hi All,

I love my 22" tarty 5025 wheels to bits, however we are planning to head to the alps this winter and I can't seem to find any snow chains to fit. Even the LR snow chains will only go up to the 21" wheels.

Other then buying a complete new set of wheels and tyres, which isn't happening BTW (The Mrs says I've spent enough already Rolling with laughter )

Does anyone have any ideas please? Thumbs Up
  • Labbix

Autosock has snow socks for vans, busses and trucks I believe, so you might have luck with them
  • Craigp
    England 

Just a question as to why they don't fit. The outside diameter is the same for all tyre size. Is it that the side chains impinge on the alloys or are your wheel size is wider than normal. Just interested. Rolling Eyes
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I had snow socks on the Subaru which had semi slick track tyres from new, which were absolutely rubbish in the snow.
    I was a bit suss to begin with, but quite impressed.
    Was not wanting the inconvenience of another set of wheels and tyres and rotating them.
    The only pain was that as soon as there was no snow that the manufacturer recommended taking them off, as they would tear/rip and again having to put them on again.
    Worth a try and a lot cheaper than new wheels and tyres, as a temporary measure!

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Teemo
    United Kingdom 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-K%C3%96NIG-...PLFD4?th=1

looks like the XXL K77 would fit but they cost about the same as a ski holiday to Bulgaria.
  • beeker
    New Zealand 

As a FYI

I'm looking to fit a set of 'Robust' chains to our D5, as chains are 'required' on many NZ ski field access roads due to black ice, no matter the tyres you run. The 'Traction Devices' (aka half chains) which allow for zero clearance at the back are simply not robust enough.

As we typically fit chains 20>30 times a season and run for extended periods on gravel and hard roads with no snow present (but with black ice), we need somehting robust and reliable.

At this stage I'm looking at two options:
    1. SCC Z06 or Z08 cable chains.
    Used these previously on a 2009 Q7 where you technically cant use 'full chains'
    They only require 6mm and 8mm respectively on rear clearance.
    They worked well, but can tangle when removing if you are not careful

2. Thule XG12, the preferred as a proper and full chain.
    But, we're gonna check this clearnance on a hoist
    If needed, we'll add spaces

Will let you know!
  • beeker
    New Zealand 

Ok, we ran with the Thule / Konig xg12 pro
    On the oem rim and 255/55r20

Test fit, so far so good.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum