Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Advice, but I think I know what people will say!!

So I've got to the final throws of narrowing down the search to a few cars. HOWEVER, I've just been online and found out that they're ALL overdue services by over 6 months! They're all ex management cars with around 16K miles on and 18 months old. The recommended MAX service interval is 12 months OR 16,000 miles (whatever is first). so in most case they're over the 12 months and over the 18months. Two of them were registered March 2018 and haven't had a service since!

My concerns are 1) what if there is a problem later on and the dealer can't fix as they were overdue a service!, 2) resale!, 3) what does it say about how Land rover views/treats its own fleet if they're happy to sweat a cars service life and then charge almost £60K for a car that is overdue services?

thoughts??
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

You don’t have to worry, just don’t buy anything you’re unsure of. Certainly don’t look for an answer, you may not get a truthful answer. Thumbs Up

Oh, and don’t restrict yourself to a LR, despite this being my, dunno, I’ve lost count of the number of LRs I’ve had, iam alway receptive to the idea of buying another brand.

Buying a LR isn’t a financially prudent decision tbh. Never has been. They ain’t cheap to buy or run. Laughing
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: Advice, but I think I know what people will say!!

Chatuge wrote:
    So I've got to the final throws of narrowing down the search to a few cars. HOWEVER, I've just been online and found out that they're ALL overdue services by over 6 months! They're all ex management cars with around 16K miles on and 18 months old. The recommended MAX service interval is 12 months OR 16,000 miles (whatever is first). so in most case they're over the 12 months and over the 18months. Two of them were registered March 2018 and haven't had a service since!

My concerns are 1) what if there is a problem later on and the dealer can't fix as they were overdue a service!, 2) resale!, 3) what does it say about how Land rover views/treats its own fleet if they're happy to sweat a cars service life and then charge almost £60K for a car that is overdue services?

thoughts??

Thanks - just checked.
    I bought an ex management car in June. The dealer told me they had done a service on it. I didn’t check when they did the service. Just realised it was serviced by them in January which is actually 18month not 12month (mileage only 14k). This raises two points...does this singular 18month service compromise the future warranty (they gave a used vehicle 2year dealer? Warranty) and if the warranty hasnt been compromised by the late service, when do I need to service the vehicle next to maintain it........ is it the 2nd anniversary of its build (which was last month!), the anniversary of their service (January) or the anniversary of my purchase (June)??

Oops just rechecked my arithmetic.....it WAS serviced at the 16month date. Embarassed

But the other part of the question remains the same ....when should `I have the next service?

Last edited by Wolfpack on 25th Sep 2019 1:26 pm. Edited 4 times in total
  • Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

https://osh.landrover.com/

You need the VIN number and then enter that....

Quite shocked at how many of the Ex Management cars are overdue services by CONSIDERABLE miles and time...
  • Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Re: Advice, but I think I know what people will say!!

Wolfpack wrote:
    Chatuge wrote:

thoughts??

Thanks - just checked.
    I bought an ex management car in June. The dealer told me they had done a service on it. I didn’t check when they did the service. Just realised it was serviced by them in January which is actually 18month not 12month (mileage only 14k). This raises two points...does this singular 18month service compromise the future warranty (they gave a used vehicle 2year dealer? Warranty) and if the warranty hasnt been compromised by the late service, when do I need to service the vehicle next to maintain it. The 2nd anniversary of its build (which was last month!), the anniversary of their service (January) or the anniversary of my purchase (June)??

All valid questions. I would get them to confirm in writing that it won't affect the warranty in the future. YOu can bet that if you had been the one to push the service 6 months overdue that they would invalidate it in a heartbeat!
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

I suspect the significant part is exactly what warranty are we getting on a used car?

If it’s the continuation of a LR warranty then the late service may be an issue. But if (as I suspect) my car has just got the dealers own 2year warranty then they may conveniently disregard the history.

I think an email to my dealership is in order.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Double post
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

If the cars were owned by JLR then they are responsible for deciding if and when the service is due and if they decide to sell them with an extended warranty, they have to honour that warranty no mater what the history.They have full and probably intimate knowledge of the vehicle from 0 miles to miles travelled at time of resale. They cannot afterwards renege on their responsibilities if a warranty claim arises, citing non compliance with service requirements whilst in their care and ownership.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Morally you’ve got a point, but in the fine print of the T&C, I wouldn’t like to say.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Morally and legally correct, The seller, in full knowledge and and having absolute responsibility for the condition and maintenance of the vehicle being sold, cannot issue a warranty which contains conditions that he knows cannot be fulfilled. It would be an offence under current legislation.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Interesting, JLR owned my car, they serviced it at 12 months and 3 weeks after first registration (well Paragon fleet solutions did) which was during its "de-fleet" since 4 weeks later it was on the dealers forecourt.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • MrGandFriends
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Yes similar situation

Bought an 18 plate with 14k on it and questioned it would need a service at 16k. Dealer said it wouldn’t need it until July 20 or at 31k as it was serviced when came of fleet.

Two weeks after having it and covering 700 miles Adblue needed doing ..... obviously JLR 180 point check (however many it is) doesn’t include topping up Adblue.

Could be bothered to return to dealer as it was a 2hr drive away but was not impressed at all.

Other than that thought we are pleased with the car - Digital TV seems a little hit n miss though but minor niggle.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I backed out of a purchase of a Ex management D4 around its service schedule. Was low mileage but 18 months old and hadn't been serviced according to its record. I wanted the dealer to service it which they obviously agreed to but also put it in writing confirming i would hit no issues down the line if i had a catastrophic failure and the service schedule was scrutinised I would be safe. It all got a little "off" so i bought a new one from elsewhere.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Chatuge
    United Kingdom 

Seems a bit of a pattern.... I wonder how many others haven't noticed the overdue service schedules...
    RDR - why did things go a little off? Wouldn't they put it in writing?
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

They tried to point me to LR direct to get something in writing. I wasn’t going to start playing piggy in the middle they were selling the car.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum