Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• PT
    United Kingdom 

FBH - InControl Apps

I've gone through the manual and tried finding the brochure details - but to any owners with an FBH - did you get a remote as well?
    We've had the (used) D5 now for a week and it has the FBH but no remote. It's going back next week as it wont connect to InControl Account to be able to use any apps and the sim card reader just says 'reading sim' with the card in or out.

I've asked the dealer to sort a remote for teh FBH next week but the reply was 'it's all done through your phone'.

As I cannot use any apps I'm going on what I've read (hopefully correct!) and just wondered if owners could please confirm if I am right or wrong.
    The heating/cooling using the app doesn't use the FBH does it? I thought it started the engine to use the 'normal' AC/heating.
    Can you use the FBH via an app?
    Thanks in advance.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I have the Timed Cimate option (love it in winter).

It should come with a small remote fob, that activates the heater if you havent already set it from the timer menu in the car. The fob has its limitations however, in that you have to be fairly close to the car for it to work.

The LR Remote App, rather stupidly doea not control the Timed Climate, it "only" starts the engine and allows you to set the temperature remotely from your phone. If they integrated the Timed Climate fuel buring heater into the app, that would be considerably better, since if you're returning to the car at a time you didn't expect you cannot activate the Timed Climate only start the car, sort of defeating the point of the FBH being fitted in the first place.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The FBH is only operated via the timed climate on the touch screen or the remote fob (which you should have). It can't be controlled from the app.

The "Remote Climate" on the app starts the car's engine not the FBH (although the FBH also starts when you start the engine if it's a cold day).

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • PT
    United Kingdom 

Thanks guys - I'll get back to the dealer to sort a remote for next week!
    Much appreciated!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

it is a shame its not more user friendly, since only time I have ever used the remote is when I get up in the morning at home. Just have to make sure its set for the right time for getting off the train in the evning. They early software had the time you wanted heater on, the newer software has the time you want journey to start .

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • RiverBlanche
    United Kingdom 

Hi,
    its also a shame that the dealers do not know their cars better Rolling Eyes

you ask about the FBH and they talk about the remote start function !

Can you check the build sheet to see if it mentions a remote? our 2010 RRS it was an option for the remote and was listed

Thumbs Up
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

On topix mine just says "fuel operated heater"

Will check handbook tho....

• PT
    United Kingdom 

Our D4 had the heater but as it was 2012 there was no remote. I thought the later D4s had remote FBH so took it the D5 would. Current option includes remote but can’t find my 2017 brochure to see if it was included for our car.
    Certainly a remote is easier to use - shame it’s not tied in to the InControl Apps.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

On the D5 it has only ever been an extra cost option. By default, D5s don't have the FBH unless the option was selected when it was built.

• PT
    United Kingdom 

Yes, I understand it is an option it was just if the remote came with it or if that was another cost on top of the FBH.
    Thanks again everyone
  • jungle42
    Luxembourg 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hi, I can start my FBH with the fob, with the timer in the car or within the app. In Luxembourg you are not allowed to leave your engine running, so I can't even remote start the engine, just the FBH.

MY17 HSE Luxury Corris Grey 3.0 si6 with Black Pack 21 inch
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

You'd think if the app option is available in some markets they'd activate it in all markets!

Instead we have to cause more emissions by running the engine when we have a perfectly good FBH we can't use due to comong back to the car at a different time to the one set in the car timer.

As for legality, the law is at best muddy in the UK over whether its pegal to use tue remote start, but as fsr no one has been prosecuted or it would have been very public. The suggestiin is so long as the doors are locked its legal for the engine to be running in an unoccupied vehicle.

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Jungle42, did your D5 come with the fuel burner?

Do you know if it is possible to have it retrofitted?
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

In the UK, you cannot leave a vehicle unattended on a public road without the engine being turned off and the handbrake on. Driveway ok but anywhere else you take your chance.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

As above, but with exceptions.

The actual regulation is:
    Quote:
    The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Leaving motor vehicles unattended
    107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or
    (b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—
    (i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or
    (ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.
    (3) In this regulation “parking brake” means a brake fitted to a vehicle in accordance with requirement 16 or 18 in Schedule 3.

You could try to argue that 2b(ii) would apply to running the refrigeration machinery with the remote climate......I'm not sure that a judge would agree with you. Laughing

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum