Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I too think that it is easy to get a disproportionate view of reliability from the internet.

If you look at something like the US JDPower surveys, yes JLR is in the bottom few manufacturers. Looking closer, the level of faults is something like 3x that of Hyundai or another of the most reliable brands. "3x not many" faults is not something to overly worry about IMHO. What it means is the chances of getting a bad one are increased, but most still get a good one.

The severity of fault is not explained in such surveys though, so the chances of the failure being serious in nature do seem higher with JLR. But that's what warranties and dealers are for,

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • pouls1
    Sweden 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

harrythespider wrote:
    pouls1.. I think you are correct in saying the internet disproportionately expresses the views of dissatisfied owners, its a good medium for venting frustration. Sure there are problems with most new vehicles and sometimes some dealers are less than satisfactory with their solutions. It would appear that on this site, all has gone quiet in respect of oil dilution and I must therefor assume its sorted, I personally had a few issues but my local dealer in Torver (not the one I purchased from) has a fantastic service/technical understanding, and they were sorted without problem. Mine was an ex management car, unbelievably specced up and the right price, its 258 bhp but its more than enough and keeps up with and can leave most 'standard' family vehicles. I love driving it. I have AT3's fitted and cannot fault them on or off road.
    Good luck with your search.

Thanks Harry! Appreciate you sharing your experience. I can see it has a great spec. I am trying to find a 306 engine coupled with 360 camera, HUD, active diff and solar attenuating windshield, but that just seems impossible for now Smile I can forego the diff - or the camera, but still - only one with the windshield and none with the diff, but when spending this much I also want it in the right color range... Smile

When doing my searches on autotrader I wonder if the solar windshield or the active diff could be hid underneath other option combinations - or would it be spelled right out? Doesn't seem to be any at all with an active diff...?
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Equilibrium wrote:
    I too think that it is easy to get a disproportionate view of reliability from the internet.

If you look at something like the US JDPower surveys, yes JLR is in the bottom few manufacturers. Looking closer, the level of faults is something like 3x that of Hyundai or another of the most reliable brands. "3x not many" faults is not something to overly worry about IMHO. What it means is the chances of getting a bad one are increased, but most still get a good one.

The severity of fault is not explained in such surveys though, so the chances of the failure being serious in nature do seem higher with JLR. But that's what warranties and dealers are for,

Thanks Equilibrium,

Agree. I expect a product or a service I buy to be what it presents itself as and the more expensive the more quality/service I expect. Yes there are lemons and bad dealers and I feel sorry for the ones ending up in a situation with either, or both. However, we also need to be realistic about it. Sometimes I see or meet expectations that are outside of the intended functionality and then I can understand the frustration on the dealer when a customer makes hell. It is very easy to do so today with social media and the opportunity for every one to be a critic on a global scale.

Another interesting observation is what seems to be a clear difference between the forums and instagram. Seems that the ones posting pictures of their Discovery 5's are really happy and proud of what they have and how they use them. It is a pleasure and inspring to see some of those threads dedicated to the 5.

However, I appreciate all the feed back I've gotten here and I everything I learn from all the members posts - so keep it up and a general thank you to all of you! Very Happy
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Quote:

When doing my searches on autotrader I wonder if the solar windshield or the active diff could be hid underneath other option combinations - or would it be spelled right out? Doesn't seem to be any at all with an active diff...?

They are often included in "Packs". Mine has both with the "capability plus pack' and the 'versatile climate pack"

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Thanks,

Tried it with no result Smile

I think Autotrader has a bit to learn when it comes to refined search options...
  • Labbix

Honestly, I don’t think a rear diff lock is a necessity on the D5, it might make some things a bit easier, but only the extreme things. I had it on my D4 in Africa and don’t have it on my D5 in Albania. I must say I am truly very surprised how well the D5 does here in extreme rocky, muddy and sandy mountain roads. I did things I wouldn’t have done without lots of precautions with my D4, but it was almost too easy with the D5. Even with the standard tyres while my D4 had the GG AT2 and afterwards Duratrac. But the 360 cameras really are a necessity for me. But all this is personal of course.

Good luck with the search!
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Good to hear - since it seems close to zero cars that has that diff.

Read a few of your posts previously. Good reading Smile

You also must be getting a bit of the sun in your location - you got the solar windshield

You still on standard tires?

Or any one else that does have any opinion on the solar attenuating windshield?
  • Labbix

Yes, still on standard tyres as I have to travel abroad to buy other ones... and yes regarding the windscreen. Although I thought it was standard spec with the Lux, but not sure.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

pouls1 wrote:
    Good to hear - since it seems close to zero cars that has that diff.

Read a few of your posts previously. Good reading Smile

You also must be getting a bit of the sun in your location - you got the solar windshield

You still on standard tires?

Or any one else that does have any opinion on the solar attenuating windshield?

If you live in a sunny climate its worth it. Was standard on the FE, so I specced it on the Lux, and was around £250. Green/pink tinge too it.

Not sure if it reduces outside noise though, as running 22's, but after the summer we have had this year, cars interior is alot cooler, compared to mine. (I have a saloon so it will heat up quicker due to surface area being alot smaller). Mrs commented that it's interior is cooler than the D4 which had a normal screen. Steering wheel is not piping hot if cars parked in direct sunlight, unlike mine which feels like it's melting she said. Leather seats don't scorch your bits either, especially if you have shorts on.
    (Has been mentioned on the other forum that arms and hands won't burn either apparently).

Only thing is if you have an additional GPS device on the car like a Garmin Sat Nav, then it maybe problematic, as the satellite signal from outside cannot penetrate the screen properly. Seems the coating interferes with it, leading to a weaker or erratic signal with dropouts.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 26th Aug 2019 8:44 am. Edited 2 times in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

Thanks!

Yes, the car will be used in a warmer climate so I thought it perhaps would be a good idea. I guess there are nano/ceramic films to be had today that takes a lot of the heat and that are light enough so they can be used on the windshield, but it seems few offers this outside of the states, unfortunately.

Seems a lot of people are installing this film on the entire car - even though it has privacy windows, etc., to keep the heat and rays out - even on the panorama. Any one know of anyone in the UK offering these films that has experience with front windshield installation also?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Had LR privacy windows on the FE but found them too light as could still see inside the car. Were only a light - medium smoke. So went limo tint all way round, apart from the fronts from a local tint shop on the Lux. Let's in 5% light, and you can't see anything inside when your looking into the car from the outside, even when you have face pressed up to the window. However from the inside you can clearly see outside as only looks slightly tinted. I suppose akin to a one way mirror. I have sat in the back when it's sunny and it definately takes the glare off from the sun, and even though black is supposed to absorb the heat, you don't get a burnt arm if propped on the window. Maybe the tint itself has something infused in it?
    The back is nice and cool as well.
    We have the RSE and TV, hence the reason we went for limo tint. Also keeps prying eyes from looking into the boot.
    Am not sure if you can get all windows done with a film as never looked into it, but the tints definately help imo. Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • pouls1
    Sweden 

oh, ok. I thought the toughened was see through and the privacy was as limo. Good to know. Which film did you get?

With regards to the front sides and windshield - couldn't remember who made it (several I guess), but did a quick search and came up with this from LLumar:

"The LLumar AIR Series can keep you safer on the road every day, just like your brake pads and air bags. This film is a barely visible, micro-thin layer of nano-ceramic tint technology – but without the window-darkening tint.

Install AIR to upgrade your factory window glass with more protection from shattering, heat and glare, and a shield against 99% of the sun’s harmful UV rays that’s recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Because it’s barely detectable, LLumar AIR film can even be installed on factory-tinted windows. It’s an optically clear layer that enhances performance without altering your vehicle’s exterior look, or your views of the road."

I am in no way affiliated with anyone working in the industry - just so that is said. Just want good protection Very Happy
  • Labbix

I had llumar on my D4 in South Africa, against window breaking (smash and grab) and they were good (not tested the breaking though).
    I have the Land Rover shades at the back windows and with the privacy glass you can not see in the car. I do have driver and passenger windows with 65% dark film as well, although forbidden in most countries (sometimes you can get a permission) I had 95% before, but that was too dark to have a clear view at night. I was told at ‘ceramic pro’ a few months ago they were doing the approvals with SGS for a new film against heat, UV and overall protection. This company is worldwide so you can check with them as well. But go with people who have done multiple film placing as it is not that easy. And ask for a free re-install if air bubbles remain after a week or so.
  • Labbix

• Labbix

And yes, all windows can be done with film, color of the film depends on local legislation, but I know some people with a dark windscreen as well, mostly Southern America, but in Albania as well Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum