Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• MrGandFriends
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Dash Cams

Hi fellow forum members.

Considering a dashcam and just wondered if opinions could be shared about those whom may already be using them.

What recommendations do you have?

Thanks

Rich
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

On the basis that it’s only there for those insurance moments I bought a cheapie one from Halfords. I note they are even cheaper now on Amazon as they have been updated...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-312G-Car...&psc=1

Does a perfectly acceptable job and HD footage is actually good enough to use snippets in holiday videos.

Has advantage of being easily removable from screen mount if you want to avoid someone nicking it.
    But remember to put it back before you start off again.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

There can only be one - Blackvue.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Using Blackvue DR900S 2 channel, with 4K at front and HD at the rear.
    Records simultaneously and is WiFi/Cloud compatible, No need too remove the memory card for viewing. Also got the widget which keeps on recording after the car is parked up and switched off.
    Still recording from 9am to 5pm when Mrs is at work, so peace of mind incase someone accidentally hits it or interferes with it. It's also come down by £100. Amazing clear footage, far better than the cheap one I got, with poor blurry washed up images.
    In my opinion you have to fork out for the best image quality.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • pouls1
    Sweden 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I second the 900 blackvue. Used it for a years time and it works flawlesly.
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

I'd 3rd that, it's the only one I would have fitted.👍

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Which reminds me, I must put one in SWMBO new car. Rolling Eyes
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I forgot to mention that I replaced my cheap one with a semi decent one, after I returned it.

Road angel Halo dual camera.

Wifi compatible just like blackvue

2K front camera and HD rear camera.

Half the price of the blackvue and records when vehicle is stationary.

Reason I went for this as have purchased several RA products in the past, and all do what it says on the tin.

Definately worth a look at, if on a budget.

Decent images as well, not on par with the Blackvue, but then it's half the price, but miles better than the cheap one I briefly had. Like I said in post above you have to pay for quality, plus no doubt the longevity of the unit. Buy cheap but twice. Just my tuppence worth. Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • MrGandFriends
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

Thanks

Thanks for all your help, so really useful feedback Smile
  • TazDaz
    England 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Fuji White

I have a Thinkware F200 - sure seems good to me
    https://thinkwaredashcam.store/product/thinkware-dash-cam-f200/
    reasonable pricing too

MY18 Fuji White with Black Pack HSE Si4 2litre >>>PETROL<<< 300bhp
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Just found out today that from next year, dash cams with the small viewable LCD screens will be banned under new legislation laws. Points and a fine if caught using one, as now deemed as a distraction.

Never got my head around why you need a screen switched on whilst driving, apart from when viewing footage, but am not sure if same rule applies if you stick black tape over the screen, or disable it somehow when the cars on the move.

(On a slightly different tangent, some speed camera detectors had the ability to switch off the laser sensor, via the menu, after the laser part became illegal abroad, with the manufacturer even giving the option too send the unit back so that they would permanently disable the sensor).

It's possible dash cam manufacturers may end up offering this type of service to permanently disable the screen, instead of having to buy a new one.

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I cannot actually see my dash cam from the driver seat, it’s up high and hidden by the interior mirror. I purposely did this so I couldn’t see it. I found it distracting when set lower on my previous car....plus it also cuts out a lot of sky backlighting on the video.

Wonder if that’s adequate for the legal position next year?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Wolfpack, am not sure tbh if the screens hidden, as am not an expert by any means.

However, it may still warrant an MOT failure, hidden or not, just like anything within the wipers sweep is a failure, but from what i can deduce, if it's banned, then you cant use it Sad

Really winds me up buying new gadgets, only to be told they are illegal after a year or so. The Nextbase units are still readily available in Halfords. How may disgruntled mums and dads are going to receive these as Xmas presents, only to find out they will be not allowed to use them!

Have several numberplates with honeycomb backing and hi line fonts, only to be told they are illegal now, even though were fully legal beforehand.

So I just stuck them on the trailers. With all the new rules and legislation constantly changing, it seems the average motorist is getting screwed for more pennies, just to stick it in the governments coffers Shocked

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum