Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Whippetman
    England 

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

I’m going to extend my tailgate anyone done it?

On holiday for first time with the d5 and the boot design proving an absolute pain compared to the d4.

Plan is to weld up some mesh doors for each side of the cargo divider that follow the contour of the inner tailgate and then extend the lower tailgate to something like the d4’s length.

Overall the whole d5 package is proving very impractical and not at all what you expect from a discovery. We will be getting rid very soon.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Whippetman
    England 

Maybe invest in a Transit Thumbs Up

• BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

ive seen a few complaints about the new style boot being a pain and coming from a D4 to a D5 I dont understand why. Please elaborate.

Thank you
  • Whippetman
    England 

I stand to be corrected but I read that D5 boot is larger than D4.

• BruceT
    South Africa 

I dont know about that but can tell you my fridge and all the other bits and pieces fit in my D5 as they did in my D4.
    I will be towing the race car in a few weeks and will carry a spare set of wheels as well as other stuff, so that will really tell me if there is any difference.
  • Labbix

The boot from the D5 is less practical than the D4 for some reasons if I understood other people’s comments well, and out of own experience:
    - if you would like to use the retractable cover in the boot, than there is definitely less space in the D5, mostly because of the reduced height: our fridge/freezer did fit perfectly in the D4 and was hold firmly in place by the retractable cover, but can not fit in the D5 together with this cover.
    - Besides this there is less space to put tools. In the D4 there was a lot more space in the side cubbies and under the seats, these are almost totally gone in the D5 (at least with the rear aircon and 7 seats configuration)
    - not to mention that you can not stand anymore on the split tailgate to reach the roof Wink
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

RDR.. I am not sure that extending the board would be a good idea. The existing board depth has obviously been tested to carry a certain weight and the pivot pins engineered accordingly. Extending the board would put significantly more strain on the operating components and they would possibly fail and not be covered under warranty.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

The d5 boot space is not as good as the D4, technically the floor area is the same depth and 4cm wider but it tapers off as you go up which makes it a much less usable space. Same goes for storage inside it’s nowhere near as good as the d4 for places to stash things away.

Two of (our 3) dogs in the d4

One of them in the d5 and that’s without the cargo divider we need as they fall out with each other on long journeys.

I hear what people are saying about the load on the plinth thing, I’ll do some man maths on it but don’t mind invalidating the warranty on it.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

BruceT wrote:
    ive seen a few complaints about the new style boot being a pain and coming from a D4 to a D5 I dont understand why. Please elaborate.

Thank you

Aside from the shape of the load area being less practical for us I don’t like the automatic tailgate and plinth. I would prefer manual so we can control the dog’s better, as well trained as they are it can be like releasing the traps at the dog races. I’m going to have to weld up some inner doors for safety.

The whole inside plinth I don’t get, should have gone for a split tailgate, the tailgate is huge meaning you can’t stand at a close distance to check the dogs as it opens you have to stand to the side and stick your arm in as it opens. Then if the dogs touch the door as it opens it stops and when you blip it’ again it closes. Way to complicated for our discovery use case.

MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Whippetman
    England 

Defo need a transit with them Very Happy

• RDR
    United Kingdom 

Replaced the d4 with a D5 and a T6!

Really hoping they get the defender 130 right else that’s it for me and landrovers for the practical side of things.

MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

ok. I would agree if you carrying dogs it is less practical and the side pockets are really small, compared to the D4/D3.

I dont carry dogs, so I guess this is why I didnt notice any negatives. I do have a fridge (National Luna 52l), and camping stuff I carry, which seem to fit the same as they did in the D4. A lot easier than great-danes. Laughing
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

RDR, you could always downgrade to 3 Chihuahuas Laughing

The rear of the car tapers in, the further back you get, so this probably doesn't help with the side pockets being shallower than the D4, which was boxier all round. I agree, the D4 seemed to have more boot space, even though on paper, the boot is bigger in the D5 Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

@Brucet: I do have a fridge (National Luna 52l) => this one doesn’t fit under the cover, I mean under the metal beam of the retractable cover. In the D5 there is only about 35 cm of space till the floor from this beam, where in the D4 this was 44cm...
    Even a normal trolley in sideways position doesn’t fit. So where in the D4 I used this beam to keep me fridge firmly in place, now I can’t, and have taken the cover away, but this means as well that the wheels from the trolley now touch the back headrests and can/will damage these, where in the D4 this was not the case. That’s one of the reasons I find the D5’s boot less practical, even when in absolute liters it is said to be slightly bigger.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum