Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JST
    United Kingdom 

IS6 engine - any good?

I am contemplating the change from a tdv8 FFRR to the 3.0 V6 petrol Discovery 5. Anyone on here care to comment on what a V6 petrol is like to live with please? will be used for towing and some motorway trips. i know SDV6 but i am currently fed up with turbos and DPFs!

concerned on the lower Nm figures over the tdv8.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Thirsty..... Towing 1700kg 17mpg, Urban 19mpg. Motorway 30mpg
    Of course that’s down to driving style. Described by someone as ‘an elephant on steroids’....I confess overtaking 50->80mph is a blink I enjoy. 😉

There’s a lot of rubbish talked about Nm requirements for towing. Towed 1700kg all over Europe, incl tight mountain passes with 2L petrol engines that supposedly didn’t fit the perceived profile for towing. Never missed a beat. Never once thought ‘ I am short of torque when I need it’. On paper the diesel numbers always look better and if you are a purist then go diesel. In real life there is more than enough capability in modern petrol engines. The only trouble I ever had towing was with a Diesel D4...it dropped into limp mode towing up a long steep motorway haul. Split manifold/ lost turbo pressure with only 40k miles on the clock.

The biggest issue with the Si6 will come when you come to PX it. Suspect the green lobby will have more than their pound of flesh.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

No issues with the Si6 engine.
    340 bhp - (335ps) with 450 nm of torque.
    Really quiet engine with smooth acceleration, unless you mash the accelerator Laughing
    A bit of hesitation when you floor it initially, but once up and running its fine.
    We only tow lightly - 1500 kg max. (1200kg payload plus 300kg weight of trailer). So its akin to towing a saloon car. when trailer is maxxed out.
    Regularly tow the small trailer maxxed out at 400kg, and cant even tell we are towing. Thats with 5 adults and 2 kids in the back. Full tank was showing 357 miles on that run.
    More than capable, albeit suffering at the pumps.
    With regards to residuals i will disagree, as it may well hold its own due to the diesel outcry at the moment.
    Only time will tell Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • simonej

Even the 2.0 petrol is a swift enough machine. Can’t say I’ve towed but even fully loaded up a hill it pulls strongly and 50mph arrives surprisingly quickly. It’s definitely more flexible than the 2.0 diesel and a lot more refined.

I’d have loved the V6 but they’d stopped making it when I ordered mine.

With regards to residuals I was wanting the 3.0 diesel but the forecast residuals were significantly less on both Diesel engines than with the petrol. Monthly cost was more than £100 less than 3.0 diesel, which would’ve been somewhat offset by better economy from the diesel! Very Happy

On the plus side the petrol block warms up fast and supplies hot cabin air before I’ve even got out of the village, unlike my Dad’s diesel which takes 15 minutes.
  • JST
    United Kingdom 

Thank you for replies. 30mpg on motorway wasnt something I was expecting. Towing news is good. I am around 1800 to 2200kg and tdv8 is about 19mpg motorway with that lot so 17 is not far off.

Residuals I dont know about, by petrols seem to be strong money currently.

Last edited by JST on 21st Dec 2019 5:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

19mpg towing a 1800kg caravan, I am getting at least 21 towing a similar size van

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • JST
    United Kingdom 

i take on board the comments 2.0 and 3.0 are good enough the biggest problem (if i am lucky enough to call it problem) is comparing it to a 330bhp 800Nm diesel lump.
  • JST
    United Kingdom 

just worked out the mpg on my tdv8 22k miles 23.7mpg so comparable.....
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum