Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Warranty

Coming up to 3 years old and looking at options, I may keep it another year so what are the options with regards to extended warranty.
    I know LR do an extended warranty but are there any other recommendations for extended warranty.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I chose the LR warranty for my D4 which I kept for 6.5 years in total. It paid for itself.

Some people recommend Warranty Direct but I asked them if they covered cars while being used off road and not only was their answer to that a resounding no, but the don't cover any car at all if it is ever used off road.

Add in the extra value for the LR warranty i.e. LR assist, an equivalent hire car, MOT failure cover and priority treatment at the dealership if LR assist send you in and it's a no trainer if you rely on your car.

And yes, you can expect to be covered for known problems e.g. a snapped crank if you've kept the warranty continuously from new and had main dealer services. My D4 had both inlet manifolds done because of the warranty. It's actually LR that pay for the repair in these circumstances but only because there is an agreement between them and the warranty company to that effect.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I’ve avoided warranties. They are costly and make money for company. I suppose if you make a claim, then it’s worthwhile on an individual basis. Swings and roundabouts.

Normally if you’ve had the vehicle maintained at a LR dealership, then in the first year after the manufactures warranty expires, you can rely on their goodwill for anything costly.

Another option is to put away the money you’d spend on a warranty into a contingency account for things that need repaired.

It’s an individual choice that said.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

On my experience, i wouldnt rely on the goodwill of the dealership during the warranty, let alone after. They've refused to look at my parking sensors, having allegedly looked at them twice for going off with a permanent beep for a few days then a couple months of being alright. Since they cant replicate the fault they wont investigate again (started just before it was 2 years old)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’m pro warranty on a car of this complexity and cost, not to mention reliability. Insuring against what could become a five figure liability is worthwhile for me.

The last car I ran outside of the manufacturers warranty was a 320d, which had a significant bill for a new timing chain under extended warranty at 95k miles.

Extended warranty, to me, buys you a large portion of the new car benefits during a period when depreciation has become very low. Weigh up vs cost of new car.

For balance, did not extend the warranty on my wife’s Toyota past the five years standard. Because...Toyota.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Fair enough. I’ve had quite a few LRs, none had an extended warranty, but I normally got shot before the 3 years is up, but twice I had a LRs to about 3.5 - 4 years old.

One was fine, but one, a D4, needed some work re a gearbox. Think it would have cost £1,300, but LR made a goodwill gesture covering the whole cost.

That was nice, but it wouldn’t have been the end of the world if they hadn’t that said. Suppose I’d wince a bit if I had to fork out £10k for a new engine.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

a bit....lol

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I,ve been looking at extended warranties and comparing WD and JLR, (underwritten by CarCare)
    WD is cheaper but doesn't cover off road, JLR does but doesn't cover DPF where WD does, JLR covers all factory fitted items WD appears to exclude lights ( I wince at the cost of an adaptive LED headlamp unit ) WD do fixed price over 3 years JLR 12 month blocks and price increases as car gets older, WD includes wear and tear JLR doesn't.
    its a dilemma,
    Any suggestions??

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I had the LR extended warranty on my D4 for 4 years.

It includes LR assist which also provides a hire car (typically a RRS) if your car is recovered to the dealer. The dealer prioritises your vehicle repairs.

It includes cover for MOT failure items up to £750.

I didn't lose money buying the warranty.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Forgot to mention, JLR 3yr over £3000,,, WD £1800 including all the options

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum