Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• LesGAllen
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Si4 SE Indus Silver

Which SIM does In- Control App use?

Hi, as a follow-on to my last post re SIM not supported message, I obviously can’t get traffic reports etc until I can get it investigated post Lockdown.

However I have now found that the In Control App is not able to communicate with the vehicle, I thought that this was linked to the embedded SIM in the car not the one in the armrest, does it need both SIM’s or is my assumption incorrect?

Thanks in anticipation

Les
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

If you are referring to the Remote app then that uses the inbuilt Sim.

What happens when you launch Remote?
  • LesGAllen
    United Kingdom 

Hi, many thanks for coming back to me.

When I launch the remote App, it is unable to communicate with the car, the last contact with the vehicle was 22.35 on the 6/4. I have only done local trips since, none have been recorded and indeed I cant do anything from the App in the way of commands, it just times out on communicating.
    It just seem strange that I have lost functionality associated with the armrest SIM pretty much at the same time as losing the functionality from the embedded SIM, unless they are in some way linked, which I doubt. It would be too easy if the vehicle was stolen for them to remove the armrest SIM and therefore disable the tracking and In Control etc.

Interesting, just keen to get it sorted as it will be yonks before I can get into the local dealer for a warranty job.

Cheers

Les
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I guess you are still logged in the car OK?

It does sound like some common element maybe has failed?
  • LesGAllen
    United Kingdom 

Hi
    Just tried, it won’t accept the log in as the car is not connected to the internet!

Cheers

Les
  • LesGAllen
    United Kingdom 

Hi
    Just connected the car to the internet via a third party dongle and logged in to the In Control App in the car, that works fine traffic etc but the Phone App isn’t able to connect to the car, times out trying.
    All very interesting but equally frustrating.
    Cheers
    Les
  • LesGAllen
    United Kingdom 

Hi, a quick update. It would appear the SIM was not making correct contact in the SIM reader, by using a different SIM adaptor it worked I assume by being marginally thicker and contact made.
    Once the arm rest SIM was working I had connectivity, it also then enabled me to use InControl remote. Although the SIM was not working for a few trips, it appears the details were all recorded on the embedded SIM as the data is all there but you can’t use the remote access without the arm rest SIM.

Just in case this of any interest to others if they experience the same issue.

Regards

Les
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Glad it is working again, can be a nightmare sorting these problems! Thumbs Up
  • DarkyUK
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

LesGAllen wrote:
    unless they are in some way linked, which I doubt. It would be too easy if the vehicle was stolen for them to remove the armrest SIM and therefore disable the tracking and In Control etc.

My understanding is that the proper tracker, InControl Secure, is different hardware with its own battery etc, unlike the normal InControl Remote.

That is why it is factory fit / order only.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum