Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• HPRMunster
    United Kingdom 

Newbie - Used LR D5 Purchase Advice Pls

I'm looking to buy my first D5 in the next month or so, having been in a company car scheme for the last 15+ years. My Audi A6 avant goes back in June. Ive been looking at D5 TDV6 HSE’s for the last few months, and have seen a few private sales of late. My question is, is it worth considering a private sale? What should I look out for? I’m looking at cars around 2018.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I would say it's wprth considering private sales - seen a few genuine ones for sale on this forum over the months, much loved cars in most cases. Of course, you want a saving over the equivalent dealer version. Judge the owner as much as the car - assure yourself of the reasons for sale.

There is a bonus to buying privately - you are avoiding the lottery of rejected cars, which will be in the dealer network.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

On the other hand, I think it’s a great deal of money to part with unless your doing it via a tried and trusted motor dealer.

Buy privately, it’s very much a case of buyer beware, I wouldn’t trust my gut feelings because of the consequences if those feelings are wrong. There’s some pretty good con merchants out there and they look and sound like a genuine seller.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Yes you might get a car cheaper privately BUT you will not get any warranty, unless there is JLR extended warranty remaining. If you look around dealers, I think you will find some cracking bargains, Especially as they haven;t been able to move any stock for some weeks and what they have is devaluing on their forecourts. I know of one particular HSE at lakeland Landrover Torver that looks good value especially as the previous owner was fastidious during his ownership. If you look its PF17 CME, I dare say you could haggle a good deal. It has a few nice extras.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

I'm also looking to purchase my first D5 (first LR product too) but will be going the LR Approved route only.

I guess if the right car (with warranty) came up on here for the right price I might be tempted but it would need to undercut dealer prices by quite a substantial amount for me to really consider it.

For me the risk is too high considering the money involved.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Best of luck to the both of you who are buying.

When you finally own one then we will be here to help you get it up to the same standard as ours! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

I understand the warm fuzzy feeling of buying from Land Rover, but you are better off buying a good one and then purchasing a decent warranty.

Independent warranties are often better than the JLR one.
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Currently a dealer will take a sale, even if its close to cost, they have targets to meet so throughput is key, with it you get all the security of taking it back and being a pain when it goes wrong.

I love a private sale for an older cheaper car but there is no redress, and if you take a private sale to a dealer they look at you as if you have something on your shoe, their customers are first in any queue.

LR5's are great cars, mine os an 18 plate, bought from a dealer used with 50 miles on it. so far it has been back for..
    loose / broken trim, software fixes, remote heater not programmed, some rust on screws under the bonnet, battery charging issues, tailgate not lifting, radio not working, glitching in control, squeaking suspension...its really disappointing, and shoddy build quality, but I know i can just dump it on their door step and tell them to fix it for the first three years.

Ultimately we all have to balance up risks V costs, but now is the time to get a good dealer price ! Very Happy

2019 HSE LUX
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Exactly!! Those are all the common problem that a decent owner would have had fixed.

It seems to me that many owners reject the car and Land Rover just put it back on the forecourt.
    Sure they will fix them ( sometimes), but more often that not it is a painfully slow process.

P.S. You forgot the leaking windscreen problem!! Thumbs Up
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Interesting to hear about rejected cars... I hadn't really considered that when looking at the LR approved website. I guess there's no way of finding this out either - It's hardly something a dealer is going to be keen to disclose!

The ones I seem to be keen on are advertised as ex LR management cars. Generally speaking are these considered to be any better or worse than a privately owned example?
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

The common faults are there regardless of ownership, depends if the manager really could be bothered to have them fixed.

I suspect maybe not? However they usually are well specced.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

When buying a used car from a dealer ask for the work sheet print out for all the warranty claims on that vehicle.
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

good advice - thanks!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

However, if its been a JLR car, they dont list anything, usually because warranty stuff hasn't even been done

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Re warranty work... I have had a response from a dealer on a car I'm interested in stating that as the previous owner was JLR they have no way of checking if they carried out any work.

So basically they are saying they cannot check the history of a car run by the manufacturer themselves they are hoping to sell for circa £50k. Or they are just being lazy.

What a joke.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

That's why it is better to buy from a forum member who has cared for his car and had all the issues sorted.
    You still have the remainder of the Land Rover Warranty to use.
    If it is older then just buy a warranty, also remember that any Land Rover warranty on older cars is provided by a third party anyway., they just brand it JLR.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum