Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Labbix

Is the new Defender the best Discovery?

Brilliant video/comparison:

Still missing our D4, the boot space and real practicality of it at least.
    Now with our D5 gone, doubting if I should go for the, hopefully soon, facelifted D5 or new Defender... but the boot seems suddenly so small! (Not had the chance to see one in real yet)
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I have had a D2, D3, RRS (L320), FFRR (L322), and now have the D5.

Of all of them, i would say that the D2 was the most practical and userfriendly for storage etc.

The D3 was the largest.

The FFRR was sublimely comfortable!!!!

I liked the RRS the most for daily driving until i bought the D5.

The D5 is honestly a pretty good compromise of all of them.

Yes... i would like the boot to be that little bit bigger. Yes, there are times that i wish that not everything was electronic (why did they have to make the seat folding electric??).

BUT... i am really happy overall with the D5, and i would ceetainly not consider buying the Defender instead. The Defender is nice, but for me it has moved a little too far from what the defender was meant to be, but is NOT as comfortable as the D5.

These are just my thoughts... please dont be too harsh in your comments;)
  • Labbix

>> but is NOT as comfortable as the D5

I wonder if this is true.
    Our kids never were sick in the D4, but were in the D5 (I didn’t have adaptive suspension as not available here)
  • Labbix

Of course driver wise, the D5 is much more comfortable than the D4. But I would like to know if the Defender leans as much as the D5 in corners.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Hello Labbix,

While i value your comments about the d3, i don't have adaptive dynamics in my d5, and none of us have felt car sick in it.

When we got married, my wife and I were trying several different 4x4s, and she was badly car sick in several (toyota, kia etc). The D3 was just about OK so long as we werent on any really windy roads. The D5... we have had no problems... she has behaved perfectly and road manners are actually really good even though i dont have adaptive dymanics as mine is a 2017 model.
  • Labbix

I must admit the Albanian mountain roads could be part of the problem too Wink

Anyway, we are moving to East-Africa and JLR gives no option either to spec AD there, so it will be or D5 or Defender. But Defenders boot is quite a stretch smaller than that of the D5, this to my surprise, and the 130 isn’t coming very soon... choices...
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

If the defender's boot is smaller than the d5, then it must be small. The size if the boot is my biggest complaint about the d5!!!
  • eelpout
    United States 

Re: Is the new Defender the best Discovery?

Labbix wrote:
    Brilliant video/comparison:
    wow. that basically confirms what I was fearing about cargo volume. my snowboard bag wouldn't even fit lengthwise in this thing without squishing it. :p

thanks for posting that, I'll have to forward that on to my dealer who will likely find it useful.
  • Labbix

>> The size if the boot is my biggest complaint about the d5!!!

Actually it is mine too (and to a lesser extent the infotainment and totally outdated RSE)
  • Labbix

Left D5 - right side Defender (20!!cm shorter bootspace)

• Labbix

Pic deleted, same low quality, but if you enter ‘Land Rover comparison models’ in google you find it easily.
  • eelpout
    United States 

yeah, roughly half a foot. but to be fair, the 110 is about 8" shorter overall.

I guess I'd have to wait for the 130.
  • Labbix

Just got informed that 3 new Defenders arrived at the local dealer, so I can go check for myself, but as waiting for the 130 is no real option probably will go for another D5, hopefully the facelift will be presented soon, eager to try an inline 6 diesel Wink
  • Labbix

>> yeah, roughly half a foot. but to be fair, the 110 is about 8" shorter overall

But legroom for the second row improved with almost 4cm, which eats boot space of course
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I'll be checking the Defender out too when it arrives. I can live with the opening not fitting a pallet horizontally, but it really hinges on boot size being enough for the dogs. My other concern is that the price won't be much different than a similarly spec D5, yet it is still missing a couple of cylinders. Adding those will likely top the price of a D5.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum