Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Roof Cross bars

I read somewhere that using the cross bars to carry a surf board meant that a good third of the board is not on the cross bars.
    In other words the cross bars are too close together towards the front of the vehicle,
    I mentioned this to the dealer when I collected my bars and his suggestion was to remove the little peg on the rear clamp enabling the bars to be fitted evenly across the rails.
    Has anybody done this or think this is feasible.
    I haven't unpacked my bars yet, waiting for the rain to stop !! but as soon as I can I will see if this is a practical 'adjustment.
    The other alternative would be to drill a small hole further back on the rails to enable the little peg to locate there.
    Anybody got any thoughts ?
    My use for the cross bars are mainly just to carry an 8ft ladder.
    Rather interestingly I read in the instructions for use of the cross bars 'Not to use rubber bungees to hold your load in place' now I would have thought that bungees were the best thing for securing light loads.
  • HDFB110
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hum - have just bought a set of Thule cross bars.
    I initially bought these as they were far lass than the LR ones.
    Having now fitted them they do not have the pin so they can be located where ever you want along the roof rail.
  • ravrav
    United Kingdom 

I drilled holes to bring my front rail forward by about 12".
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Yes, I think the drilled holes might be the best option,
    Before drilling correct measurement along the rail can be made.
    Like that, you know that when the cross bars are mounted they are exactly parallel with each other and the exact distance from front to rear.
    Just tried to fit them, it certainly is a fiddly job and they are certainly higher than the Thule bars.
    Incidentally the Thule bars I was quoted for would have cost £278.00 whereas the Landy bars only cost £240 but with the Landy discount slightly less.than that.

Last edited by EMcC on 5th Jun 2018 6:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

I am still fiddling with my cross bars Sad
    Maybe I am thick because I cannot make sense of the pictorial description of fitting the feet.
    I can see that you have to use allen keys on certain screws but it would help to know what the screw does then I can work out how much screwing I need, if any.
    When I bought them the price included fitting but having had cross bars for many different cars in the past thought how difficult can it be and having a return journey of 60 miles did not fancy the whistling of empty cross bars on the way home so declined the offer.
    How stupid of me, I should have had them fitted and paid attention whilst it was being done and then a few miles up the road pulled into the next layby and took them off.
    I used to be pretty good with a mechano set as a young lad and have been pretty handy with other DIY projects but this one, at the moment, has me stumped.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I have been looking at a front runner rack, this uses thenLR roofmrail attachment screw holes, it may be you need to use these attachment points. That said as I have not seen the LR rail instructors I maybe wrong

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Anybody got a copy of 'Cross bar fitting instructions for Dummies'
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

IndusD4 wrote:
    Here you go:

Roof rail fitting instructions

Ron

Thanks Ron spot on, apologies for the delayed response

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Thumbs Up

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

Finally got my Cross Bars fitted Sad
    The top screw is to fix the feet at the correct length across the roof, once tightened - job done.
    The side screw is for tightening the clamp/feet onto the roof rail so could be needed to take off when the time comes but may not as the 'lever' may be good enough once tightened.
    As has been mentioned the genuine cross bars are definitely way too high, can be tolerated for a one of journey perhaps but certainly not to be left on for occasional use.
    Also as has been previously mentioned the cross bars are way too close, both could be doing with moving apart some.
    One poster has mentioned the front bar being moved forward 12" - yep good idea but I reckon the rear bar could do with moving back about 6" too.
    As they are they look ridiculous, if I put a 6' ladder on the roof, the cross bars are not much distance apart as the width of the ladder and each part of the ladder, front and rear of the bars, would easily act as a lever should a pigeon land on either end !!!!!!
    Not sure I would be good enough to drill holes in the exact place required front and rear so may end up grinding the pins off the feet but even then I would have to be very careful to make sure the pins are ground down below the rubber foot liner so as not to scratch the rails when clamped in place.
    Now I wish I had waited and had a look at the Thule bars.

Last edited by EMcC on 5th Jun 2018 6:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 

ravrav wrote:

Did you drill the holes freehand or did you make or have a template of some sort before drilling.
    As my rails are already fitted I reckon I would have a problem getting on top and at the correct angle to drill them and could even slip and make a hole in the roof Sad

1845hrs. Just tried to get on top enough to do some drilling and no that job is not for me.
    I don't fancy grinding the stud off either.
    So where's the Sale and Wanted part of this site, for sale here I come.
  • ravrav
    United Kingdom 

I did it freehand. It was pretty straight forward to do.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

EMcC wrote:
    ravrav wrote:

Did you drill the holes freehand or did you make or have a template of some sort before drilling.
    As my rails are already fitted I reckon I would have a problem getting on top and at the correct angle to drill them and could even slip and make a hole in the roof Sad

1845hrs. Just tried to get on top enough to do some drilling and no that job is not for me.
    I don't fancy grinding the stud off either.
    So where's the Sale and Wanted part of this site, for sale here I come.

You have to put your beer down first, at least that's how I do it. Cool Rolling with laughter
  • Blackfly
    Canada 

I found leaving the sun roof open getting a long straw and using the front cup/can holders to hold your beverage Very Happy

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum