Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Taylormade
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Towing Electrics

Hi all
    I tow a caravan and have a question regarding the 12v supply for the fridge, does anyone know, (if you park the car and lock it,) if the 12v supply stays live? or does it shut down with the car?
    I’m not at all bothered about keeping power to the fridge, I want to avoid a flat car battery if on a ferry etc?

Thanks.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Mine stays live. I've noticed twice when getting back in the car it shows a warning about the battery being low when the van is attached and fridge set to 12v (or auto). It would have been better to have this only live when the engine is running.
    I've set the fridge to 240v to avoid it draining the battery, it will stay cold even when driving for a day without power to it.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

As Indus is in Oz, maybe his connections are differnt, but in the UK, the 12v for the fridge is a switched live, so is only on when the engine is running. Once you turn off the engine the 12v for the fridge stops.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Indeed. They are up side down for starters. But yes we do tend to have a live feed to electric brakes on trailers.

But it is interesting in the UK the fridge circuit is switched. I need to have a look at that, I have a European caravan so no need for electric brakes, I would rather see the fridge work on a switched circuit from the car.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I wonder now if on the caravan they put the fridge on the live car feed which on Australian built caravans is used for electric brakes. Too dark to check now, but will do that tomorrow.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

On UK 13pin towing sockets (and on 12S and 12N 7pin sockets - you need both in the UK for a caravan if you want more than just road lights) there is both permanent 12v - which is used for Alko stabilty control unit, and switched 12V, only there when engine is running, and this is used by the fridge and caravan battery charging whilst on the move.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Yorkietiger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Mine has factory fitted 13 pin electrics, and the fridge is definitely switched 12v and only works when vehicle ignition is switched on. My fridge is always beeping to warn the power is off when I stop for a brew up. Thumbs Up
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Thanks for the info above.

I would think the van had a 13 pin European plug on it when it was imported, but that was changed to a 12pin flat Australian plug. Pin 5 is a live feed for electric brakes and pin 9 is used for a fridge. Since the van has override brakes pin 5 wouldn't be used by the caravan but maybe they hooked up the fridge wire to that. I'll check this later.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Looked at the wiring but the caravan does have a wire that goes to a switched live pin, supposedly that is the fridge/aux pin. Next to that pin there is a permanent live pin, also connected on caravan. Possibly this is to the battery charger. I've emailed the importer to get some info on the wiring, but maybe both fridge and battery charger wires should go to the switched live pin.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Taylormade
    United Kingdom 

Ok, so there are clearly some differences between towing electrics in the UK and OZ.
    Looks like we do indeed have a permanent live for the trailer ATC control here in the UK.
    Why this needs to be permanent is beyond me? You don’t need the ATC to be live when stationary?
    So if the car is to be connected to the caravan while parked for some time (on a ferry for example) it may pay to disconnect the towing electrics, I’ve had enough issues with “Low battery please start engine” on the dash while cleaning the car let alone something pulling a constant 12v supply.
    (By the way I sent the car back to LR twice for the Low batt warning, first time battery was replaced as was found to be faulty and the second time, gateway control software updates were carried out due to the car not shutting down correctly) These D5s seem to be riddled with electrical gremlins, even LR themselves said the car is very technical, on my second return for the same issue.
    I do love the car but these small issues are so frustrating.
    Are they more reliable in OZ, ? 😂
    Thanks all, it’s been educational as always. 👍🏻
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Yes there are differences, you guys having a 13 pin plug and we have a 12 pin connector. Having said that on my D4 I had the black and white European connectors so I don't think the difference is that great.

My fridge issue is my own fault for getting a European car, modified to Australian towing electrics then buy a European caravan and a European box trailer. No issues with the trailer, which only uses a 7 pin plug.

If I can work out that the power drain is from the battery charger, I will fix it by adding solar panels to the caravan, have the battery charge from those and disconnect the battery charger wire to the car. I've asked the importer for more information on the caravan electrics.

As for LR's reliability, I've had only minor issues on both D4 and D5. Maybe getting a lesser spec vehicle helps, less to go wrong. Even with this power drain issue, the problem is with the Caravan not the car Thumbs Up

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

@ Taylormade - the current supplied via the permanent 12v for the ATC is very low, I've done 4 6hr channel crossings without disconnecting, and left the caravan hooked up with electrics attached all night without any issues.

Al

• Taylormade
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, that’s good to know👍🏻
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

That's really topical - I had always thought that the car wasn't supplying 12v to the trailer with the ignition off, but yesterday got a low battery warning having left a 12v fridge plugged in a horse trailer (with it's own leisure battery) all day. So now I know to disconnect the trailer electrics when parked up!
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

No, just connect the fridge properly to the switched 12v supply. It will only then get power with the engine running..

Al

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum