Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

D5 TDV6 Dropped all Oil

So on our way home yesterday with about 5 miles to go on fast A road, there's a sudden rumble which felt like the road rumble strips, but didn't feel right to me. It then happened again shortly afterwards and I could no longer accelerate, then the oil light flickered. Upon slowing down, the engine sounded like some monkeys with spanners had found their way in. Pulled over, a lot of burning oil from where oil was obviously hitting the exhaust. Stopped engine and wouldn't restart. No other warning signs or dash lights.

All the recovery guys we've had out (3 in total) say this is a huge issue for JLR, although I don't seem to have found anyone with these issues directly online.

Really hoping it's just the turbo gone pop and chucked it's oil out of the manifold, but car is under warranty and so far, in recovering the car, JLR assistance have been fantastic.

Does anyone have a clue what might have happened?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Worst case scenario is big end bearing spun, loss of oil flow leading to snapped crank and then hole in block. Was a relatively common occurrence on Discovery 4 but very few instances on the 5. If that's the case its new engine on warranty.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • lucero
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Just had a call from the dealer who asked me to give my versions of events because the LRA report was "Engine failure"..

He agreed on the phone that being under warranty they wouldn't even bother trying to work it out and just swap out the engine and let the factory do the investigation piece.

New engine
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

that's not good, glad its still under manufacturers warranty. How many miles has it done? (at least the engine will have done considerably less than the car)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Good luck with the replacement.

As they no longer make the TDV6, is there any chance of a SDV6 being dropped in. Too optimistic, I know!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

TDV6 & SDV6 are basically same engine, they will probably fit a short engine and use as many of the original ancillaries as possible to keep cost down.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:

As they no longer make the TDV6, is there any chance of a SDV6 being dropped in. Too optimistic, I know!

Isn't the TD6 still sold in some markets? Eg USA.

Also, theres lots of other changes under the bonnet that woyld make that not quite as easy as dropping it in (and bigger brakes too?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Ah. I thought I was too optimistic!

Didn’t realise the brakes changed. Assumed that the brakes were specced for the supertanker weight, rather than catering for its supercar like ability to arrive at a corner too quickly.

Btw, bit off topic Mordred, but we’ve talked about adaptive dynamics a few times. I had mine down some Devon lanes last week and was really impressed with how unruffled it was on challenging roads that I had never seen before.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

mordred1973 wrote:
    Equilibrium wrote:

Isn't the TD6 still sold in some markets? Eg USA.

Also, theres lots of other changes under the bonnet that woyld make that not quite as easy as dropping it in (and bigger brakes too?

Yes, the Td6 is still being made by Ford/PSA and being sold in North America. We wish we could get the SDV6 here....
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

since the license has now come to an end for Ford to supply JLR with these engine, do we assume JLR have a huge stockpile of them just in case any are needed?

Coincidentally, there is someone on Facebook today who has a Td6 that has done about 13,000 miles and has just blown an engine. this is 2 I have heard of in very quick succession. worrying for us other Td6 owners!

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Ah. I thought I was too optimistic!

Didn’t realise the brakes changed. Assumed that the brakes were specced for the supertanker weight, rather than catering for its supercar like ability to arrive at a corner too quickly.

Btw, bit off topic Mordred, but we’ve talked about adaptive dynamics a few times. I had mine down some Devon lanes last week and was really impressed with how unruffled it was on challenging roads that I had never seen before.

Equilibrium - yes I think they upgraded the brakes to those previously on the RRS.

OK make me jealous, mine definitely wallows way too much on those sort of roads lol

• Mightymildred
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Crank shaft oil seal?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum