Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Lucy2
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Newbie here Questions about D5 2.0 Ltr towing ability

Hi all

Saying Hi & help please, I've had many Landrovers over the years RR Sports, Disco 3s & 4, & at the moment I have a 2016 Discovery Sport 2.0 Ltr HSE Lux, love the car & had very little bother with it. Her indoors now fancy's the D5, my local LR dealer has a 2017 HSE 16500 mile £37600, lovely but it's the 2.0 Ltr with 240 BHP and this is my question, will the 2.0 Ltr tow my 2019 Adria Adora caravan at 1750 kg ?? (Power wise).

The 2.0 Ltr Disco Sport tows it with no effort at all with 180 BHP so with the D5 being heavier but with 240 BHP will it tow my van??

I have just retired at 65 don't really want to go back to the 3.0 Ltr & don't want to use all my retirement money on a new Discovery hence the 2017 ish as we only tow maybe 20 times a year with one long haul tow down south England.

Any help would be much appreciated Bow down

Thanks.

Discovery Sport 2.0 ltr HSE Lux black 2016 gone. New to me 2018 Discovery5, 2.0 ltr HSE SD4 Black 22"
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I tow an 1800kg Elddis supreme 840 with my 2ltr D5 and it does it with ease. I towed down through France with it last year and done south coast this year (and will be doing another 400 miles towing in a week or so). I too have come from towing large twin axle caravans with both D3 and D4’s. My D5 is the 240bhp 500Nm version (2018) but the 2Ltr in 2019 dropped to 440Nm torque.

The way I look at it is this, my last D4 was 3ltr, 256bhp, 600Nm, and did approx 21/22mpg Around town, made about 30 if I drove like miss daisy, and towing ( if I pushed on a bit) would be down to about 16 mpg.

Given the D5 is lighter the power to weight ratio is better, and economy for the majority of the time (I.e not towing) is way better at over 30 knocking around town, seen 50 mpg on the lie-o-meter when driving steady, motorway cruising mid 40’s, and even 24 when towing.

Overall the 2ltr made more sense to me this time around so I would say don’t hesitate if the car is a good one.

I’m not saying the 3ltr D5 isn’t or wouldn’t be a great towcar either, I am saying you don’t necessarily need the V6.

Al

PS you can see my D5 and caravan in my avatar

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Lucy2
    Scotland 

Hi Al

Thanks for your helpful reply, exactly what I wanted to know I go down to LR to have proper look and test drive on Thursday, so if he offers enough for my sport I might just go for that one it's low miles at 16500. it to has black roof roof rails plus crossbars. just need to get a tow bar & electrics.
    Again thanks for your help.

Discovery Sport 2.0 ltr HSE Lux black 2016 gone. New to me 2018 Discovery5, 2.0 ltr HSE SD4 Black 22"
  • bammmy

Try and get the tow bar and electrics in with the deal, they are not cheap to buy afterwards 👍
  • Lucy2
    Scotland 

Hi Bammmy

Will do, going down in Friday morning now, Will get in about them for tow bar, What do you guy's think of the price for that mileage 16500?

• bammmy

Hi, sorry not up to speed with the prices, if your happy with the deal go for it. Good luck 👍
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

When you have a test drive have a good listen for any engine / turbo whines. The D240 in discovery does suffer from balancer shaft whine like other Ingenium engined products, but if it's ok at that mileage and they haven't already been changed you should be ok, they normally start to whine between 5k and 10k miles and get progressively louder.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Quick question on tow bars. Is the electrical deployed tow bar worth getting?
  • bammmy

I have the detachable one, never had it off, never had a problem with it, if it helps.👍
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

I have the electrically deployed one on mine as it came as part of a deal, I wouldn’t have brought it otherwise. I would have probably just gone for a fixed one that I could use my witter bike rack on..

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

I’ve never had any problems with the electric folding tow hitch. But the only material difference I think is you don’t get nose weight measurement if you get the detachable hitch.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

Don't think you get the trailer light check with detachable, only comes with the electrical deployable. I had the deployable as the car was built with it, only about £150 more than detachable on factory build, however something in excess of £1000 difference as a dealer fit.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I notice that the nose weight is 350kg for the electric and 195kg for the detachable, so its probably worth having the electric one.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

Given the fact that most caravans in UK are on the Alko chassis now which in most cases limit nose weight to 100kg the detachable should be sufficient unless you have plenty of spare cash.

• al cope
    United Kingdom 

And the nose weight measuring is rubbish anyway so don’t bother with it.

Al

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum