Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Defender

So I went to the dealers today to drive a Disco5 and I have ended up ordering a New Defender first addition. I drove the D5 and was a little disappointed in the road noise. It was an almost new Landmark. They offered me a good price for my D4 and the payments on a PCP came out much cheaper than what it would have been for a D5. They said the Defender has a much better residual value.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

That’s really interesting. I was sorely tempted with a defender when re-ordering, but the wife was having none of it.

Never seen road noise as an issue in any that i have driven - one SE and five HSE-Ls with a variety of engines and wheels.

But either way I think the defender looks a great choice , 4 cylinder diesel was the only drawback for me.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Yes I was surprised by the road noise it was quite bad on a rough road surface, both myself and the other half noticed it. Yes I really wanted to stay with a Disco as the V6 as a lovely smooth engine but for once I am letting my head rule my heart. Shocked
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’m sure the defender counts as a heart purchase too! Post some pics up here when you get it, I think they’re a really interesting range.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

If anyone is wanting the link to try a Defender for a couple of hours at a Land Rover Experience site, click on this link. I got an invite, but it’s not my bag tbh.

www.landrover.co.uk/DefenderExperience
  • eelpout
    United States 

Re: Defender

BigCol66 wrote:
    So I went to the dealers today to drive a Disco5 and I have ended up ordering a New Defender first addition. I drove the D5 and was a little disappointed in the road noise. It was an almost new Landmark.

huh, you thought the Disco5 was louder than the (new) Defender? that's not my experience. Smile

what kind of tires were on the Disco?
  • Smilesapart
    England 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Indus Silver

I test drove a Defender on the off road tyres and was amazed at how refined and quiet it was. I loved the driving position and the light and airy interior. I think it’s a brilliant 4x4. It really reminded me of my dads Range Rover Classic when he first got it brand New in 1979.
    But the ride on the D5 I tried with a TD6 engine and 22” wheels was also fantastic. But the huge wheels let it down over the bumps.
    The heart won the test drive and an order went in for the Defender. But a few weeks to ponder on it and the head won in the end, when I changed the order for a used SD6 HSE Disco 5 and saved a huge sum of money. The HP repayments are higher each month but in 3 years time it will be paid for in full. Whereas 4 years of PCP repayments on the Defender still left me with a ballon payment of £25k to find.
  • TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Darras wrote:
    If anyone is wanting the link to try a Defender for a couple of hours at a Land Rover Experience site, click on this link. I got an invite, but it’s not my bag tbh.

www.landrover.co.uk/DefenderExperience

Booked in - thanks!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No problem, I’ve got half a dozen half day LR experiences against my name to use up as it is. I just never get round to it.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum