Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dankersalmon6
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Off Road Tyres

Looking for AT tyres for my D5. There are lots of options so any advice would be welcome. Not techncially using the car for extreme off road but Scottish winter, snow, mud, farm tracks, shooting etc,
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

What size wheels are on yours, as that will dictate what tyres might be available.. There is a bigger choice for 19” rims, less for 20’s, then even less ( if any) for 21’s or 22’s

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I used to have Cooper Discoverer AT3's in 275/55-20 and they were great off road, but very heavy (had to run them on road in the low to mid 30's psi for comfort), and very noisy below about 45mph, which got worse with age.

I have just upgraded to the Land Rover (Defender) spec Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar in 255/60-20 and they are silent at all speeds, handle very well on road, and are fantastic off road, even in mud. Haven't had them in snow yet but I have run these tires on my previous vehicle (Volkswagen Touareg TDI) and they did well in all but the iciest conditions.

Will see how treadwear is - OEM tires are notoriously short-lived.
  • nigels888
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Radar renegade AT are decent and not a silly price either
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

its 275/55R20 117H General Grabber AT3's on mine, good price, good grip on road wet or dry, decent off road, good wear rate, not noisy on road. don't seem to affect MPG significantly either. Will replace with same when time/ tread depth dictates.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • TheJR
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Original tyres on my MY18 3.0 HSE are needing replaced before the worst of the winter. Size 255/55/20.

Thinking of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac for similar reasons to the OP as I live in a rural location and business (in normal times) takes me to rural locations including farm roads, agricultural shows etc. The car isn't taken fully off road very often and the OE tyres which were Pirelli Scorpion Verde have coped fine so far albeit there was never any real challenge involved. Had unusually little snow in the last couple of winters so never really tested them that way either..

Can't seem to find any decent comparisons online just individual reviews.

Main concern is road noise and wet grip on tarmac. Main attraction is never being stuck and durability.

Might trade it in next July when its 3 years old and also wondered if A/T's will affect the trade in value as dealers won't want to sell it on with them. I suppose could get round this by changing them now whilst OE tyres are still legal then putting them back on at the time.

Do I need A/T's and even if I don't but just want them will I regret it?
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 SUV and R3 SUV come in 255/55-20.

Dedicated winter tires will always be better than ATs or all seasons in cold, snowy, icy conditions. The question becomes an economic one - how often do you expect to drive in temperatures below about 40F / 5C? If the answer is "the whole winter" or "weeks at a time," then you should buy a dedicated winter tire for the most safety and best handling.

It's all about tread compound. Any tire (AT or street) not 3PMSF rated will not handle as well below that temp whether you're in snow/ice or not. I think the DuraTracs do come in 3PMSF rated sizes so they should be good, but you will get more noise. All seasons are a fine compromise if you won't be below freezing for a significant period of time, to the point where the roadbed temp drops that low as well.

If you don't plan on driving offroad on icy/snowy/muddy tracks in winter then you don't need a 3PMSF rated AT tire - you'll just be sacrificing comfort and fuel economy, and probably money as well.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Up here in Quebec the law is you have to have approved winter tyres on a passenger vehicle from mid December to mid April. So for me it’s either keep the winters on all year or have a set of ‘summer “ tyres to change over too as needed.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Rustyrabbit
    Scotland 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Personally on my 5 I fitted the Grabber 20" AT3, as like you just needed something to cope with Scottish winters as we live on an old farm at the top of a steep hill which our local council refuses to clear or salt in the winter due to an old foot and mouth rule! I covered around 35K prior to having to replace the front two tyres. They are great in snow, mud, wet etc. One thing to note and I am not sure just how true this is when choosing tyres make sure the tyre speed rating matches your vehicle speed as if the tyres rating is below you vehicle max speed this could possibly invalidate and insurance claim should the situation arise..but again not sure how true this is..
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

For many years I had a Discovery 3. I used to run on Vredenstein Wintrac. But we get less snow and the roadnoise on the highway as a bit too much. So the last set I used [ I swapped the new Pirelli, stright from the dealer on my F-Pace also], is Vredenstein Quatrac Pro.

Anybody else uses this make/type ?

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Worcestersauce
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I run Duratracs on my D5, also had them on my D4. Brilliant tyre, awesome in the snow and on road manners perfectly acceptable to me. i've had no issues with the performance in the wet, I really don't know what the issue is supposed to be in then wet? I do a 60 mile round trip commute all on hilly, twisty B roads and have never felt anything but confidence in these tyres. I would say don't read to much into tyre reviews, its a very personal thing.
    The D5 is very surefooted and capable with standard tyres, add AT's and they're unstoppable.
    Just my view folks Smile
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Just a small comment about the Duratracs. They are not winter rated. I.e. in certain countries, they do not count as Winter Tires and can therefore not be used between November and May.

I replaced my Duratracs with GG AT3s because they are snowflake rated.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Also the Vredenstein Quatrac Pro are snowflake rated..

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum