Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Neilbriggers
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Silicon Silver

In control software updates.

Looking for some clarification/confirmation please if anyone can help.
    I have a 2019 MY HSE, which is currently running the 18B software.
    My understanding from this forum and trawling the internet is that my vehicle is capable of being upgraded to receive SOTA, and is eligible for a ‘complimentary upgrade’ to enable this and add features like apple carplay
    According to the LR website all I need to do is contact my dealer.
    I contacted my dealer (one of two in Somerset) via online chat to confirm whether my vehicle could be updated to allow SOTA, and whether it had been done already.
    They called back and left a message with SWMBO saying “there are no outstanding updates”.

So, can anybody help with this?
    Am I right that my vehicle could be updated?
    How do I know if it has been updated?
    Am I missing something really obvious?

Any assistance gratefully received.- thank you.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

From memory the dealers are quite right.

Apple CarPlay was seen as an upgrade by a lot of dealership and thus chargeable.

Unless of course your car suffers from random “freezing” or a blank screen, then it should come under your warranty and thus it would be upgraded to 20 point whatever, which incidentally includes CarPlay.

I seem to be one of the few that has Apple CarPlay and doesn’t want it. It’s a faff having to connect an IPhone up to the usb and I don’t use any of the features. There again, I don’t use the mobile, my £10 PAYG lasts about 18 months and I am not keen on music playing in the car. It’s a lousy way to listen to it, akin to 2 tin cans and I am a bit of a purist.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Providing you have a data sim installed AND LR have enabled over the air updates to your car, then these updates should come automatically. You should be on 20 something at mo.
  • Neilbriggers
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Chopsy,
    That was what I thought.
    Data SIM installed and working, so it’s the dealer enabling OTA that I think is missing.
    How do I know if it’s been done ( or is the 18 B software the giveaway?)
    Either way my dealer’s claim that there are no updates would appear wrong if I’m on 18 B and the latest is 20 something - presumably there was a 19 in between too- so several updates behind.
  • Neilbriggers
    United Kingdom 

Darras wrote:
    From memory the dealers are quite right.

Apple CarPlay was seen as an upgrade by a lot of dealership and thus chargeable.

Unless of course your car suffers from random “freezing” or a blank screen, then it should come under your warranty and thus it would be upgraded to 20 point whatever, which incidentally includes CarPlay.

I seem to be one of the few that has Apple CarPlay and doesn’t want it. It’s a faff having to connect an IPhone up to the usb and I don’t use any of the features. There again, I don’t use the mobile, my £10 PAYG lasts about 18 months and I am not keen on music playing in the car. It’s a lousy way to listen to it, akin to 2 tin cans and I am a bit of a purist.

Thanks Darras, irrespective of what some dealers may think about CarPlay, this site says complimentary upgrade available. https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/inco...pdate.html
    I may choose not to use carplay- it’s the OTA updates I want and my dealer thinks I’m fully up to date, but I don’t think I am, hence the question.
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I was told by the dealer there were no updates for my 2017 sold to me in 2019 with 18C software installed.
    I insisted they update which required a couple days in the shop. My infotainment screen would go blank consistently.
    I believe the update fixed a condition whereby I couldn’t effectively turn off the lane departure feature.
    Although indicating OFF it tried to wrestle the wheel from me while executing quick lane changes on the highway - certainly a safety issue.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

@ronbo @Neilbriggers So are you now on 20C? Your dealer was straight up lying, as others have pointed out.

In any case, if you are now on 20C (or anything 19A and up I think) you should now have a menu item for SOTA updates enabled...you should now be able to go into your gears menu and find a "software update" menu item, and with the car connected to either wifi or through 3G (on MY 2017), you should be able to have it "check for updates."

Infotainment can be updated separately by the dealer, but enabling SOTA is a standalone dealer-applied update that also enables SOTA updates of something like 80 other vehicle modules besides infotainment. This was according to my dealer who gave me that update for free and without me asking for it.

I'll edit this post with the TSB number from my records but I'll have to go dig it up.
  • Neilbriggers
    United Kingdom 

DieseilRanger - no I’m on 18B. Dealer says I’m up to date, but clearly not the case.
    That’s why I asked on here - owners usually know the vehicle better than the dealer!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

From memory...

OTA came in with 19A.

CarPlay came in with 19B.

You will need the dealer to update your car one time and also enable OTA for your VIN on the JLR servers for future updates.

Just say you have screen freezes, failing to boot up, cameras not always working.
    Take your pick!

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Which is exactly what I was hinting at. Saves the argument over what is a free or chargeable update. The point being, once a dealer has made their mind up which way they are going on it, Hell will freeze over before you change their minds. The argument just isn’t worth the grief.
  • Neilbriggers
    United Kingdom 

Thanks guys,

I’ll have another go with the dealer after Christmas, and failing that I’ll try the other dealer in Somerset. Owned by the same company but I Banging Head might get more sense if I try them instead.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Neilbriggers, I would insist that the dealer activates SOTA, JLR developed the software etc so make use of it. If you look elsewhere on the forum you will see that your software is out of date. If the sealers not playing ball, contact JLR direct!!!

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Neilbriggers
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Harry. I’ll give them a call and see if I can get mor sense out of them. Really helpful to get the confirmation from the members on here.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum