Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Super88sonic
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Security or Convenience?

Looking to move from my Disco Sport and onto a 2020 HSE LUX which I pick up this weekend. For peace of mind I've booked the car in for a Ghost immobiliser and Tracker install next week.

I've since found out that with the Ghost installed, I will lose the ability to use the remote start (which makes sense when thinking about it!). As most of you know the remote start is very useful for those icy cold mornings.

So with a wife that hates the cold and 2 young kids, should I put security over convenience? Would just a tracker be enough? For info I also have a steering wheel lock.

Any suggestions? Thumbs Up

Cheers
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

According to Which they can get into a Discovery in 20 seconds but could not drive it away.
    Land Rover now use Ultra Wide Band (UWB) and emit several different signals that cannot be simply relayed.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I would spend the money on gap insurance (replacement not return to invoice) rather than a tracker. If they manage to take the car, a new one will be incoming.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Super88sonic
    United Kingdom 

Insurance company (LV) says they will replace like for like during the first year. They also said they will insure me regardless of aftermarket security measures.

Taking both your comments into consideration I may just leave it well alone.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

The car has an in built tracker as part of the In Control Pro system which is Thatcham rated, so it should not need a separate system. I checked on this when I bought my new HSE Lux in March this year and verified it through two separate insurance companies who stipulated a tracker was required for them to insure it.
  • Milky400
    United Kingdom 

I’m not sure how good the Landrover tracker is, it took almost a day for them to call me and tell me that they thought it had been stolen... it hadn’t but it was at the dealers and I hadn’t switched it off.

I’m not sure if the use of a tracker as I don’t think I’d want the car back after it had been stolen... not sure why though.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I think they know it is at the dealers or the dealer switches it off?

When I have been on a ferry or through the Euro-tunnel they have always called me when I forgot to turn it off.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

If its dealocked, the LR tracker is pretty good - I got a call within 10mins of being on the ferry to France, as the tracker thought the car was moving even though the engine was off and car locked, so I'd say it was pretty good Thumbs Up

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Security must be a better than the Disco 4 as when I changed to a D5 I actually had a small refund from my Insurance company which incidentally is LV.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Duckers
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Mine is very sensitive it went off when I was washing the car (I hadnt unlocked it before I started) and half way through received a call from the tracking service. I cant recall being over zealous with the sponge though
    K Smile
  • Super88sonic
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replies. For peace of mind I think will just go with a tracker.

Company up the road will put in a Meta Trak Cat S5-VTS next week.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

So you will have 2 trackers?
  • Super88sonic
    United Kingdom 

Dealer says the car doesn't have one installed.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

They don't come fitted standard. You have to pay as option then you get the additional functionality on your app.
    The ability of the app to show parked location under normal circumstances does not mean there is a tracker fitted.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I thought the HSE (mentioned in the OP post) had InControl Pro as standard - so would have the tracker fitted

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum