Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 2B
    Netherlands 

22" wheels, wobbly roadholding..

It took a 2017 V6 HSE [22"wheels] and a 2018 2SD [20"] out for a testdrive.

- V6 feels heavy in the nose, like it doesn't want to change course. Same feeling in V6 F-Type..
    - V6 on 22" has vibration in suspension and catches unevenness left and right, makes me seasick;

- SD4 much more nimble, very noticeable on roundabouts ;
    - lesser load makes suspension more stiff, less vibrations, not seasick;

Both effect might be related to tracking, or simply the 22" being 'too much to handle'

Any thoughts please ?

Yes : the SD4 is a bit sluggish and fails the push the V6 has..

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Find a vehicle that suits you. If neither ticks the boxes .....
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’m on my second SDV6. Both on 21s. Both with adaptive dynamics.

Over Xmas last year I did a few hundred miles in a loan SDV6, almost brand new, on 22s. Standard suspension. Motorway ride a little worse than mine, but nothing I would worry about. Handling way worse, that was done to the lack of adaptive, not the wheels.

I then did 2000 miles in a SD4, on 21s and no adaptive dynamics. Very few miles on the clock, almost brand new. Handling again way worse than my car, due to no adaptive,plus didn’t get on with the drivetrain at all.

I’d say that what you felt was a broken or worn car. To me there was no significant difference in the handling of the non-adaptive four and six. And I hustled them - couple of times, as they were, after all, loan cars!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I am on my second D5 V6 HSE Lux, the first had the standard 19 inch wheels and it was a wee bit prone to skip off line even after the tracking was done 4 times in 3 years, so I suspect something was wrong elsewhere. My new March 20 car has the 22 inch wheels and it feels solid, handles well and is very quiet - also looks better !
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

Same here. 3L SDV6 on 22". No issues. Smooth ride.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I have a 2017 HSE and have both 22 and 20 inch rims.

The 20s are definitely softer than the 22s.

I find the ride excellent on both.

I don't have AD as was not an option on the 2017, but I have never felt the handling was bad. My wife suffers from car sickness and has not complained at all.

I DID have problems with a vibration when I first put on the 22s, but it was actually down to 1. Bad balancing from LR, and 2. On of the tires is SLIGHTLY off-round.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Equilibrium wrote:
    I’d say that what you felt was a broken or worn car. To me there was no significant difference in the handling of the non-adaptive four and six. And I hustled them - couple of times, as they were, after all, loan cars!

Thanks ! I was also under the impression something was way-off !

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Darras wrote:
    Find a vehicle that suits you. If neither ticks the boxes .....

I want a D5, but we suffer many fiscal restrictions. A V6 petrol would be grand,
    none available and hardly sold new due to CO2 taxation.. [ € 60.000 plus vat, just the tax]...

• 2B
    Netherlands 

B McP wrote:
    I am on my second D5 V6 HSE Lux, the first had the standard 19 inch wheels and it was a wee bit prone to skip off line even after the tracking was done 4 times in 3 years, so I suspect something was wrong elsewhere. My new March 20 car has the 22 inch wheels and it feels solid, handles well and is very quiet - also looks better !

I think - like equilibrium stated - the V6/22" I drove had been trashed.
    The fact that the 19" was 'skipping off line" hints for me on a systemic design problem..

The V6/22" steering was "hazy" [104.000km's] . The SD4/21" steering was crisp [ 75.000km's].

So its not the mileage that causes the difference.

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Chopsy wrote:
    Same here. 3L SDV6 on 22". No issues. Smooth ride.

What make/type of tires ? And what pressure you have in the tires all-round ?

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Nebc100, my comments about non-adaptive probably sound too harsh. There is a noticeable difference, but I don’t mean that the standard car was bad.

The 48 hour test drive I had, that sold me on the D5, was a V6 SE - non adaptive and I guess 19” wheels. I loved the way it drove.

For context, my last car was a BMW 440i. An awesome engine, but frankly poor steering and a chassis that did not match the engine. Every bend and roundabout was understeery. Unless applying vast gobs of power, which is inappropriate and usually not possible/safe. I genuinely prefer driving my Disco, in all circumstances except a few seconds of straight line blast (eg motorway slip road).

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

nebc100 wrote:
    ..The 20s are definitely softer than the 22s. .. ..My wife suffers from car sickness and has not complained at all... ..I DID have problems with a vibration when I first put on the 22s, but it was actually down to 1. Bad balancing from LR, and 2. On of the tires is SLIGHTLY off-round.

Thanks. The 20" have higher sides and are expected to give a softer ride.
    Since your wife has no problems, we come back again to Equilibrium's point : that car can be broken..

The V6/22" did have low pressure on the left rear tire, but the vibrations were most evident in the front footwell. My wife said she felt vibrations in her heels and the strap of her bag on the floor was virbrating.
    So, a problem with the balancing indeed..

Salesman suggested bad alignment. Doesn't sound plausible to me though.

• Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

re tyre types and pressures on my 22" rims -
    Mine are the original Pirelli Scorpion Verde, running with 36 psi front and 38 psi rear - normal for low load, not towing etc.

I did have loan of a FFRR once and that had noticeable vibration, but was down to a poorly balanced new tyre.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

So 2.5 and 2.6 bar.

I used to have this on my D3 too. But I started to notice more wear on the edges [mainly highway use],
    so the pressure was too low. Changed it to 2.8 bar all round.

Now I run 2.8 bar all round on my F-Pace, no complaints except it results in harsher suspension.
    Tires wear near 'flat' : no more fast wearing on the edges.

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have the 2 ltr on 22’s and it seems well planted on the road. I have also seen other comments that the 2 ltr is better balanced than the v6 by not having as much weight upfront. I think you would have to be pushing on very hard to Notice or tell the difference and it wouldn’t be something the average driver would notice.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum